PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Kardan Color ST question

Thomas Greutmann
21-Sep-2007, 08:55
Hello,
I could get hold of a Linhof Kardan Color ST monorail at a good price. It is a model with the profile monorail. A nice piece of engineering, as can be expected from a Linhof, I guess.

The monorail is quite long, something like 47cm / 19inch. Does anybody know if there are any shorter monorails for this model?

Greetings, Thomas

MJSfoto1956
21-Sep-2007, 08:58
they definitely offered shorter rails. might want to check eBay 'cause they occasionally show up there.

Bob Salomon
21-Sep-2007, 09:51
No, longer ones were made. To shorten one you can remove the stop screw and the stop from one end of the rail, slide out the focusing racks till you have the length you want. Mark the point where you would want a rail shortened to. Cut the rail at that point. Reinstall the metal stop and screw. Just make sure you leave room for the stop and that you remove the stops on the bottom and re-position the sliding tripod socket and then replace the bottom stop.

Since the rail that the camera was supplied with has a continuous focusing track over its full length and since the camera design does not use a clamp around the rail the normal procedure if you are using short lenses (65mm and up on this camera need a flat board) you move the front standard all the way to the front of the rail and then let the extra rail length stick out behind the camera. It does not stick out far enough in back to hinder access to the GG for viewing and focusing.

The ST rails are no longer made but you can use the rail from the current Kardan Re camera. It has a different overall shape but uses the same focusing track. It is not available in a short length either.

Let's make sure of the camera that you have.

The Kardan Super Color ST replaced the Kardan Standard and has a fixed bellows. The Kardan Color ST-E replaced the ST and uses interchangeable bellows.

There was never a Kardan Color ST.

Does your camera have an interchangeable bellows (that means that there is a clip to remove the bellows? It is not glued directly to the standards.

darr
21-Sep-2007, 19:45
Maybe this:

http://tinyurl.com/3ckhuc

Thomas Greutmann
21-Sep-2007, 22:26
Bob,
thanks for the reply. The camera is a Kardan Super Color ST, sorry for the confusion.

I already figured out that cutting off the rail would work as a last option, but I was hoping there was a more elegant way to get a shorter rail. Obviously there isn't. I don't need a shorter rail for wide angle focusing - that will work fine as you described - but it would be more convenient to carry around. I hardly ever need a rail that long.

Thomas

Bob Salomon
22-Sep-2007, 00:51
Darr,

That would only work as a counterweight. The rail the ST has is black, flat and has no knobs or threads.