PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum... and I don't even own a LF camear

Steph
21-Sep-2007, 04:31
Hi. I am French but live in the UK and I am an amateur photographer shooting landscapes, mainly with a Bronica SQA. I have been reading about large format photography for a while but still did not take the plunge. Well, I am trying to build a 8x10 pinhole camera out of an old wooden box (not very successful so far) but I guess that does really count. With zero experience in LF photography, I probably won't be a great contributor to the forum but at least I will be able to ask (hopefully not too stupid) questions.

And as you can see from the title of this thread, I can't spell camera

Helen Bach
21-Sep-2007, 06:26
Hi Steph, and welcome to the forum. I'm sure that there are plenty of us here who look forward to having the opportunity to help you, should you want help. What problems are you having with your 8x10 pinhole camera? I've seen some of your pictures made with the Zero and they look pretty good (well I think that they are yours - on thephotographyforum).

Best,
Helen

Steph
21-Sep-2007, 06:36
Hi Steph, and welcome to the forum. I'm sure that there are plenty of us here who look forward to having the opportunity to help you, should you want help. What problems are you having with your 8x10 pinhole camera? I've seen some of your pictures made with the Zero and they look pretty good (well I think that they are yours - on thephotographyforum).

Best,
Helen

Thank you Helen. The pinhole pictures posted on ThePhotoForum are mine indeed (same username over there). The main problem with my homemade pinhole camera are light leaks at the moment. I did not want a simple box in which I could use only one sheet of paper or film. Instead I modified the box to take 8x10 film holders. Also, the angle of view is quite large and the shutter (a piece of wood) was in the way of the light. I have since modified the camera but I haven't had time to test it again yet.

Ash
21-Sep-2007, 06:48
Hi Steph - you're not too far from Swindon (that's where I am), nice to know some people more locally are interested in LF :)

John Kasaian
21-Sep-2007, 07:28
Welcome Steph!
A pinhole is a fine way to shoot large format. Let us know how you progress.