PDA

View Full Version : Need rear lens cap size for 240mm symmar-s

vinny
20-Sep-2007, 18:54
Lens is a mid 80's Schneider symmar-s in prontor shutter. Front element takes 82mm accessories but i can't find the specs for the rear element. B&H sells the rear caps but i don't want to get the wront size as they are sold in 1mm increments. Anybody know the size and/or have a cap for sale?
thanks

vinny

BrianShaw
20-Sep-2007, 19:15
You can look it up in this table:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/symmar-s/Symmar-S_Group_Data.pdf

:)

vinny
20-Sep-2007, 19:47
oops

vinny
20-Sep-2007, 20:11
Schneider's page says 65mm. Well, b&h's descriptions says to purchase a cap 1 or 2 mm's larger than the measured diameter of the lens. They don't have a 66 or 67mm cap. Are they full of it and should i just get the 65mm cap?

Brian Ellis
20-Sep-2007, 21:23
You can order caps directly from Schneider, just call and they'll send you the right size. I've bought several caps directly from them. Phone number is on their web site. I think I ordered from their New York office but if that isn't the right one they'll tell you.

vinny
21-Sep-2007, 08:57
Thanks, i'll try Schneider here in hollywood.

BrianShaw
21-Sep-2007, 09:43
Vinny,

My experience is that the caps are exactly the same size as the table specifies. I haven't seen that recommendation from B&H but I would question it. I have mistakenly bought caps 1mm too big (poor choice of measuring tool) and guess what... the caps are loose.

I don't know of a Schneider in Hollywood - their repair center is in the Valley... just south of the Tommies and the brewery. John Sioringus is the service manager.

I know Brian Ellis has had different and more positive experience than I have with ordering directly from Schneider (prior discussion on another earlier thread), but I have found it quicker and easier to order from B&H. You do what is best for you, though.

---- from Schneider web site ----
Contact Service

Our Service Department is located at our California office.

Who to contact:

Need help with service? Email or call:
• John Sioringas, Customer Service Sales Coordinator, 818-766-3715 x126

Shipping Instructions

Ship your lens to us (carefully packed and insured for full value) with a written description of the problem. Specify whether a written or verbal estimate is required, and tell us how best to contact you.

Ship equipment to:

Schneider Optics, Inc.
Service Department
7701 Haskell Avenue
Van Nuys, CA 91406
Attn: John Sioringas
Phone: 800-228-1254
Fax: 818-505-9865