PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for someone with spinal stenosis in use of 4 x 5 equipment.

Leonard Evens
19-Sep-2007, 07:04
I have spinal stenosis which has been slowly getting wrose. For many years I managed quite well using a Baby Jogger to carry my equipment. It will go over rough ground and is easy to disassemble for transport. But recently I've found it inadequate. We have a walker that allows me to do most of what I want---we got it for my wife who has since had extensive back surgery, also for stenosis, I can use it to take some of the load off my lower body, which i can't do with the Baby Jogger, and most important it has a seat, so I can rest while working. I've divided up my equipment so no component exceeds ten pounds. The walker's wheels are fairly large, so I can use it on grass, but it can't go everywhere the Baby Jogger went. Its greatest drawback is its weight, something like 16 lbs, and the fact that it is awkward to get it in my (compact) car. What I would like is something like my Baby but which I can lean on while walking and which incorporates a seat. It must also come apart for transport, again so no single part weighs more than ten lbs.

I am willing to pay someone to build something lightweight along those lines.

Any suggestions?

Joseph O'Neil
19-Sep-2007, 07:24
What 4x5 camera are you using? Makes a difference. Short answer is yes, something can be done, depending on your need and where you go with it.

We run into this issue a lot in our local astronomy club, similar situations, guy wanting to know how to haul around their telescope. But we figure solutions out all the time, so no reason cannot be done with 4x5.

If possible, do you have any pictures of your current setup, walker, camera, etc?
thanks
joe

Eric James
19-Sep-2007, 08:57
Good on ya for staying in the game. Joe's request for a picture of what you're working with is a good one - is your walker similar to one of these?

http://www.qualitymedicalinc.com/guardian_rolling_walkers.htm

This one is 14 pounds: http://www.phc-online.com/v/vspfiles/images/dol_symphony.jpg

Would a wheel chair be more manuverable on rough terrain?

Leonard Evens
19-Sep-2007, 11:45
What 4x5 camera are you using? Makes a difference. Short answer is yes, something can be done, depending on your need and where you go with it.

We run into this issue a lot in our local astronomy club, similar situations, guy wanting to know how to haul around their telescope. But we figure solutions out all the time, so no reason cannot be done with 4x5.

If possible, do you have any pictures of your current setup, walker, camera, etc?
thanks
joe

My camera is a Toho FC-45X, which weighs just a bit over 3 lbs. I have four lenses, but I don't need to carry all of them with me every time. My tripod is an old TiltAll Pro which weighs about five lbs. I've distributed the camera, lenses, and acesories in three containers. All the equipment could be packed more compactly and would probably fit in a backpack and end up wieghing about 20 lbs. (including the tripod), but I've distributed it so no bag weighs more than 10 lbs. I attach two photos below showing the bags and tripod on our walker. I've used this setup to take pictures of buildings within a few blocks of my condo.

Leonard Evens
19-Sep-2007, 11:50
Good on ya for staying in the game. Joe's request for a picture of what you're working with is a good one - is your walker similar to one of these?

http://www.qualitymedicalinc.com/guardian_rolling_walkers.htm

This one is 14 pounds: http://www.phc-online.com/v/vspfiles/images/dol_symphony.jpg

Would a wheel chair be more manuverable on rough terrain?

It is similar to both, but has larger wheels. I don't want to try to put something weighing more than 10 lbs in my car. I managed to get our walker in the trunk after removing the detachable front bar, but I was always afraid my back would go out in the process. (Stenosis can be pretty awful in that way.) More important. I need to be able to disassemble whatever it is into manageable sections to make it easy to put in my car.

naturephoto1
19-Sep-2007, 11:57
Hi Leonard,

I am very sorry to hear about your wife's and your problems. It sounds very painful. Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions to offer. I am wondering however about the height of any of the carts and the pressure on your back.

Rich