PDA

View Full Version : I am here because I was told to!

Robbie Shymanski
18-Sep-2007, 19:13
I am here because I have deluded myself into the belief that taking a picture is easier than writing 1000 words. Rather than executing a Master of Science in Historic Preservation by typing pages on pages through weeks of library research, I decided a nice rigid HABS documentation would be easier.

Through charm or something I was just presented with and 8x10 rig and use of what might be the most amazing darkroom set-up I have ever seen. So I am hitting the ground running. My thesis will be an extensive documentation of Chicago's Cook County Hospital based on Richard Nickel's documentation of Hollabird & Roche's Republic Building.

I am fortunate to have a great group of people supporting me with this project including Kirk Gittings and Dave Philips of Chicago Architectural Photographing Co.

tim atherton
18-Sep-2007, 19:18
I am here because I have deluded myself into the belief that taking a picture is easier than writing 1000 words. Rather than executing a Master of Science in Historic Preservation by typing pages on pages through weeks of library research, I decided a nice rigid HABS documentation would be easier.

Through charm or something I was just presented with and 8x10 rig and use of what might be the most amazing darkroom set-up I have ever seen. So I am hitting the ground running. My thesis will be an extensive documentation of Chicago's Cook County Hospital based on Richard Nickel's documentation of Hollabird & Roche's Republic Building.

I am fortunate to have a great group of people supporting me with this project including Kirk Gittings and Dave Philips of Chicago Architectural Photographing Co.

Hey, I managed to get "the powers that be" to allow me to do half my theology thesis as a photo documentary project at Durham University - it's a good way to do it!

You're in good company :)

Kirk Gittings
18-Sep-2007, 19:46
Welcome. It was my suggestion to join here. Robbie is one of my best students from all the years of teaching at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. He has a great eye and understanding of architecture and he has a background in fine arts. Because the photo dept .was being remodeled this summer we did the whole class with DSLR's. Now he needs to learn LF, largely on his own, to do his HABS project masters thesis. I am back in New Mexico. This is the best resource there is for LF.

erie patsellis
18-Sep-2007, 20:32
Robbie,
I live about 3 hours south of the city, and have a LF friend that lives quite a bit closer (Chillichote/Peoria area). Let me know if you are coming downstate.

erie

MIke Sherck
19-Sep-2007, 06:30
The Midwest Large Format Asylum (http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/) has lots and lots of members in the Chicago area and they meet up regularly. There are no membership requirements, just sign up for the web forums and mailing list. There are some very talented folks there, including university professors, photo professionals, and beginners of all kinds. You'd be welcome!

Mike

kevin kelly
19-Sep-2007, 10:47
Hi Robbie. Welcome from Ireland

gregstidham
20-Sep-2007, 06:26
Hello

I like the thread title. :)

Toyon
20-Sep-2007, 07:11
What is the answer? In that case, what is the question?

Gertrude Stein

Leonard Evens
20-Sep-2007, 08:37
I am an amateur large format photographer who lives in Evanston. My daughter-in-law was until recently on the staff at County and still spends some time there. I don't know if she has time, but if you need access to medical staff to advise you about things worthwhile documenting, I can ask her if she in interested or can recommend someone who would be.

John Kasaian
20-Sep-2007, 17:57
Welcome!
This is a fine place to hang out.
(I had a girlfriend in Chicago once, long ago...)

evan clarke
21-Sep-2007, 07:29
Hi Robbie,
My friend Dr. Zhu and I have some skills in View Camera photography and both shoot 8x10. We live in a suburb of Milwaukee, come to Chicago frequently and both have an interest in photographing Cook County Hospital. Perhaps we could meet for mutually beneficial photography outings. (Sounds like you have good access to the place ). If you are using color transparency, I have 8x10 Provia film I would be happy to donate to your cause, I no longer photograph color.....Evan Clarke