PDA

View Full Version : phillips 8x10 compact-Views

robert lyons
18-Sep-2007, 06:40
hi
i wonder how users feel about this camera...if the fact that the front standard does not fold into the body is an issue.....also how it compares to the wehman and shen hao lightweight 8x10? one other question...the front swing and rise are utilized by the same locking lever....as the older deardorffs..does this present problems for fast work with the camera...thanks
robert

tim atherton
18-Sep-2007, 07:05
Hi Robert

The front standard does effectively fold into the body (you just have to unscrew it first - 5 sec at most) - of course this makes it extremely rigid.

the front swing and rise are utilized by the same locking lever.... it may present a slight problem for fast use of the camera (though it's pretty easy to get used to and in some ways, having only one control means you don't have to fumble about trying to figure out which knob you have to turn - which can speed things up)

Which is part of the solution to another problem - weight and bulk.

Buying a field camera is always going to be a compromise - do you prefer weight and bulk and possibly lightning fast (?) use... over lightness, compactness and rigidity?

Unless you're going as far as Jock Sturges and lubricating the camera back and film holders so they slide in and out faster so you can shoot more film faster, I'm not sure you'll really notice the difference in speed of use

BTW, I generally find the Phillips to actually be faster and easier to use than most other LF cameras I've used because it's light and simple

But if you are looking for precise micro-adjustment of movements, it's not the camera for you

Ron Bose
18-Sep-2007, 08:17
When I die, my Phillips will be cremated with me, so I can use it in the after life ...

tim atherton
18-Sep-2007, 08:50
LOL - yup

Though I hear the Gods prefer the Explorer over the Compact II

John Powers
21-Sep-2007, 04:09
LOL - yup

Though I hear the Gods prefer the Explorer over the Compact II

That is because He believes thou shalt remain horizontal
rather than ascend to verticality.

Dick allows a 2% variance in this commandment.

John

Marco Annaratone
21-Sep-2007, 05:27
hi
i wonder how users feel about this camera...if the fact that the front standard does not fold into the body is an issue.....also how it compares to the wehman and shen hao lightweight 8x10? one other question...the front swing and rise are utilized by the same locking lever....as the older deardorffs..does this present problems for fast work with the camera...thanks
robert

I have been using the Phillips Compact II for two years now of ups and downs the Alps. It was supposed to be a great camera, it turned out to be indeed a great camera. Pluses are: very light weight coupled with extreme rigidity. The two things do not normally go together (barring carbon fiber and the like). I consider it my final camera for backpacking. Having said this, it does have some shortcomings but not because of design or manufacturing mistakes but because they stem from the overall philosophy of the camera, i.e., it's somehow the price to pay for the many benefits you get.

1. Heavy lenses are not particularly appreciated by the camera for the very reason you mention above. I have a Rodenstock Sinaron-SE 240mm that I really love but using it on the Phillips is a bit of a pain. The front standard goes all over the places when you release the locking levers. BTW, once you lock the levers the front standard is rock solid even with heavy lenses like the one above.

2. The finish is not without its problems. I am careful in the way I handle my cameras but I found the Phillips to be somewhat delicate. It is cosmetic stuff I am talking about, not structural issues.

3. Movements are not geared. Enough said. But then, who can afford to have geared movements at 12,000ft????? Young Schwarzy or young Rocky maybe, certainly not me :-)

4. I had mine built with two screws in the bottom so that the camera does not turn when you insert the holder in a hurry. There is no anti-slippage material on the bottom of the camera (but you can glue some on).

5. It does handle a 110mm XL without showing the bed, but not a 72mm XL. On the other hand, the 72mm XL does not cover 8x10 anyway, so I am certainly not blaming Dick Phillips for not supporting a focal length that does not cover the format...

I could now start with the list of pluses but it would be far too long. Starting with the bail mechanism that is an absolute dream ...

Before the Phillips I had an 8x10 F-line Arca Swiss. The latter is much more complete as a camera (bellows length, flexibility of movements, etc), no question about it. But I decided to sell it to have the Phillips as my backpacking camera and a Sinar P as my studio camera. As much as I consider the 8x10 F-Arca a marvelous camera I am personally more content with two cameras each one more specialized in its own usage envelope.

Cheers!

P.S. Not to worry about the folding mechanism. It takes you no time to fold and unfold the camera, I would consider it a non issue.

John Powers
21-Sep-2007, 09:41
Robert,
You don’t mention if you have searched here and at Apug.org. Much has been written about all the Phillips cameras. Michael Mutmansky wrote an article on the Explorer, much of which relates to the Concept II http://www.largeformatphotography.info/phillips.html He now has a 7x17 Explorer. I spent an afternoon watching Michael work with his 7x17 and bought one.
There are pictures of the Compact II 8x10 http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/phillips/

An earlier 1990s model the Advantage in 8x10 has been talked about a lot, much of it by my rambling hand. There is an 11x14 version available as a Buy it Now on eBay today in China, being sold by a dealer for a company that has copied many of Dick Phillips’ designs. You will find many members on these two forms fond of the 600 some cameras Dick made in his basement. You will need to find a used Compact II if you want one. Dick is retiring and the remaining Compact IIs are sold. Dick does enjoy helping people buy and sell his cameras, so contact him if you are seriously interested.

John

stefan d
21-Sep-2007, 10:09
Hi,
according to their website there is one avaible in France
http://www.taosphotographic.com/Cart/items.php?EL=70&CA=1&UID=2006083118131984.191.210.153
I bought one of the last Explorer from Dick in March this year and I am really happy with that fanstatic camera. Rigid as hell and absolut lightwight. The whole stuff including tripod lenses and 5 filmholders is about 11 kg.
It is a perfect camera.
All the best from Berlin

nelson_chan
21-Sep-2007, 10:36
Robert actually has a Compact II. He has been thinking about selling it. I just bought one a few months back and have not put it down since. It is such a pleasure to use because of the weight. I love the moving flat bed design as well. I feel that this is even more rigid of a design then the rack and pinion design of most field cameras. Robert and I were discussing issues with the way the front standard comes off completely. This is where I feel the Shen-Hao 8x10 may seem a bit more user friendly. I am careful with setting up and breaking down the camera, but am always worried about stripping the threads (it's just paranoia really).

Don Hutton was explaining to me that he didn't really see a difference in rigidity between his Shen and Phillips. I feel that maybe in hindsight (always 20/20 right?), that the Shen may have been a wiser choice. But I have a connection with the Phillips because I spent a year looking for one and that it is a rarity. I don't know how Shen's customer service is, but Dick is a pleasure to work with. Recently, my focusing knob's clip broke and Dick sent me a new clip along with 3 extras just in case. I do agree with Marco's comment about the Phillips being a pain with moving the front standard while a heavy lens is attached to it.

This is just my two cents. I do have a question for all you Compact/Explorer shooters, how do you deal with the awkward rear shift with this camera design? Do you then correct with a front swing? Thanks.

tim loose
21-Sep-2007, 12:14
I have an early Compact SN 52 which has traveled with me for the past 10 years. It is a great camera to use, simple and quick. I do mostly landscape so the limited motions don't bother me. I agree that a large lens (Super Angulon 165 with Copal 3) makes things a bit tricky but one can get used to it. I have never had an issue with rigidity, I attach it to my tripod via a Kirk plate. I might not have it cremated with me but one never knows!
Cheers,
Tim

John Powers
22-Sep-2007, 03:57
Robert actually has a Compact II. He has been thinking about selling it.........

I do have a question for all you Compact/Explorer shooters, how do you deal with the awkward rear shift with this camera design? Do you then correct with a front swing? Thanks.

If eBay is any indication, selling the camera certainly won't be a problem here or there.

My understanding is that Dick designed the Explorer primarily as a landscape camera. As such I rarely need rear shift. When I have needed any in the past it has been such a small amount that the design took care of the need.

Quoting from Dick Phillips' 8x10 Explorer Instructions

"8) Back tilt is conventional. However, back swing behaves differently when the back frame is pulled away from the lens (toward the viewer).

9) In this situation, making a back swing may also cause the image to be displaced laterally, possibly requiring a correction by shifting the front standard to that side. This design has advantages and disadvantages, but it does reduce the number of joints and improves structural rigidity significantly."

I think that it boils down to priorities. For me it is a joy that we have choices, something that causes me fear when it comes to ULF film. I have a 1955 356 Porsche Speedster. The canvas and plastic side curtains fit the funky curved top with a gap of two inches at anything faster than 40 mph. With the VW Beetle style poor heater I would freeze to death in a snow storm. It is one heck of a fun car buzzing through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park hills on a sunny fall day. I have a Toyota SUV to carry my 8x10 and 7x17 mounted on extended tripods. The Toyota keeps me quite comfortable in what pass for snow storms in northern Ohio. One design can not be all designs.

John

Nick_3536
22-Sep-2007, 04:14
This is where I feel the Shen-Hao 8x10 may seem a bit more user friendly. I am careful with setting up and breaking down the camera, but am always worried about stripping the threads (it's just paranoia really).

Which Shen-Hao? With the FCL I have the same wonder. I love the low weight of the FCL but in some ways I like the HZX design better.

nelson_chan
30-Sep-2007, 18:29
Besides the feeling of stripping the threads on the Phillips, I also don't really like that there is no detent for the front standard's swing. I wonder if the Shen Hao has detents. Yes Nick, the FCL version. The HZX design is a rack and pinion design, which I feel is less rigid than the Phillips design (does anyone know if Dick invented this design?).