PDA

View Full Version : Airport X-rays - opinions

butterfly
18-Sep-2007, 02:45
Hello everyone,

There is so much around this and other forums on airport x-ray machines with film transport, I am confused now as to what to do.

I am going to Iceland from Stanstead UK next February, and would love so much to take my 4x5 gear with Readyloads/Quickloads, but fear fogging by the x-ray machines.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or even better, does anyone know what the chances are of getting a request for hand-search at Stanstead airport?

I went to Scotland the other week via Stanstead, and 35mm 100 and 400 iso film went through the take on board camera bag with no ill-effects that I can see. Would sheet film react any differently.

Oh, I will go through Stanstead to Iceland and back, no other airports, so no multiple exposure to the rays.

Am I worrying about nothing?

Lastly, I cannot possible take my huge Gitzo aluminium tripod, and have seen a Manfrotto 055xpro. It is rated at 7KG (my set up is 5Kg), and it looks sturdy enough. any thoughts on the suitability of this tripod?

TIA

Steve

Ben R
18-Sep-2007, 03:05
Forget asking for hand searches in the UK, they won't let you full stop. You should be fine with taking it in hand luggage.

I used to use the 55Pro before switching to the CF version, it's a good tripod, shot with it in Iceland as a matter of fact! Make sure you have a good head though it will be more important than with your monster Gitzo.

Remigius
18-Sep-2007, 03:44
Search this forum and you'll find several threads about this subject.

Personally I have never experienced any fogging or other damages taking film - including but not limited to Delta 3200 and TMZ - more than once through an airport X-Ray in several European airports (Manchester, Munich, Zurich, Vienna, Naples, Hanover). I have had a hand inspection once with a trolley full of sheet film (it was my first travel with such a large quantity of film), but next time I think I'll spend the time in the airport lounge instead of providing an extra entertainment for the security personnel.

Disclaimer: I solely express my personal opinion on the subject. I deny any damages that will arise from observing and/or ignoring this information.

Best regards, Remigius.

butterfly
18-Sep-2007, 03:46
Excellent answer!! Thanks very much. I have E-mailed Stanstead to ask about hand-searches but in the current climate I don't expect a positive response as you say.

Regards

Steve

adrian tyler
18-Sep-2007, 04:22
after a few goes through the hand luggage machines and a few trips you'll not worry any more, just takes a bit of getting used to.

just remember only the hand luggage machines are cool, don't check the film or it'll likely get fried.

i've used my 4x5 on a manfrotto 190 (smallest and lightest) and it's been ok.

IanG
18-Sep-2007, 04:32
At Gatwick Airport (South London)last year I asked for a hand search, it was politely refused.

However afterwards I was approached by a security officer who gave me a leaflet about film safety and hand luggage scanners. We had an interesting conversation, he is a photographer himself and sits on a committee with experts from Ilford, Fuji etc on film safety at airports.

The modern machinery in use at the vast majority of airports for scanning hand luggage has no effect on films, even high speed emulsions, even with multiple exposures.

Ian

Ron Marshall
18-Sep-2007, 08:41
I put a roll of Sensia, 100 ISO 35mm, through 20 scans without any visible effects.

I have only asked for a hand inspection once; that time I stopped the TSA employee as he was about to open the slide on a quickload. He then stated that either I let him open it or it had to be x-rayed. So now I don't even bother to ask.

Frank Petronio
18-Sep-2007, 09:55
If I have a partially used box that already made one trip and cycle of X-rays, I will try to bring new film on the next trip so the film doesn't get too many cycles. But it probaly wouldn't matter with any First World travel.

Kirk Gittings
18-Sep-2007, 10:10
I have had fogging going to and from Chicago, but not to UK. I can't afford a possible problem so I never bring film on airplanes anymore. I buy it there and Fed Ex it back or Fed Ex it both ways.

roteague
18-Sep-2007, 10:41
I can't afford a possible problem so I never bring film on airplanes anymore. I buy it there and Fed Ex it back or Fed Ex it both ways.

Excellent solution, one I would do if I traveled within the country much. Film, especially sheet film is horribly expensive in Australia, and too much hassle to deal with shipping it via FedEx. However, I'm going to look at shipping my film directly from the Sydney to my processor in California via FedEx on this next trip.

George Hart
18-Sep-2007, 11:21
I never bring film on airplanes anymore. I buy it there and Fed Ex it back or Fed Ex it both ways.

Kirk, how do you know that it doesn't get irradiated as a commercial package?

Kirk Gittings
18-Sep-2007, 11:29
Because Fed Ex irradiating is a propaganda myth at this point according to a friend of mine that works at FX, and I have never seen evidence of it, while I have from airports (the film was scanable but clearly fogged).

By the way I only travel with Readylooads.

Travel Tripods? I have been very happy with the Manfrotto Magfibre 055MF3 for a wooden field 4x5 with the new Bogen hydralic ball head RC4 plate.

Ben R
18-Sep-2007, 12:34
I'm also using that head (on an MF3) modded with a RRS lever QR system. Very happy with it.

adrian tyler
18-Sep-2007, 12:36
i've had both fed-ex and ups packages with "x-ray examined" stickers on them, mind you i don't have a friend who works for fed-ex, but the stickers certainly were not mythical.

no damage to the film though, so who knows, the carrierers certainly arn't worrying as they have no liability.

i only fed-ex exposed film if it is in boxes, just in case i get a hormoned up security man who wants to open them, and i label the package, just makes me feel a bit better after the sticker incitents.

roteague
18-Sep-2007, 12:38
Kirk, how do you know that it doesn't get irradiated as a commercial package?

FedEx owns their own planes, and they are not required to x-ray packages. FWIW, I have used both FedEx and USPS to ship film, with no problems - hopefully, it will stay that way

naturephoto1
18-Sep-2007, 12:42
DHL, FEDEX, and UPS all own their own airplanes. However, when I dropped off film for shipping at DHL, they indicated that they or any of the other shipping carriers (FEDEX, UPS, etc) do have the right to X-Ray or open any packages shipped via air or ground if they deem it necessary. So there is always a possibility that the packages will be.

Rich

roteague
18-Sep-2007, 12:57
I think travel has gotten to the point where you have to be willing to expect the loss of your precious images - not an easy or pleasant thought. I don't know what else to do other than stay home or shoot digital.

Ben R
18-Sep-2007, 14:59
Polaroid? :D

Nick_3536
19-Sep-2007, 11:18
Forgetting X-rays,gamma rays and evil eyes for the moment. How willing are people to check tripods,empty film holders etc? Will somebody decide they have value and walk off with them?

Tripod I can replace fairly easily but film holders aren't that easy to find.

roteague
19-Sep-2007, 11:21
Forgetting X-rays,gamma rays and evil eyes for the moment. How willing are people to check tripods,empty film holders etc? Will somebody decide they have value and walk off with them?

I check those things all the time. While those items are expensive, they have limited market value outside the LF community. Not likely they will be stolen - no one is going to take a risk for an item they can't sell.

Nick_3536
19-Sep-2007, 11:30
Hopefully they're thinking that to -)
Thanks

naturephoto1
19-Sep-2007, 11:31

Tripod heads are more difficult to replace especially those with an Arca Type QR. Those I try to carry on to the plane rather than check them.

Rich

Paul O
21-Sep-2007, 07:00
Hi. I might very well see you there! I'm planning a trip from 9 - 14 February but flying from Gatwick. Its a return trip for me after a fantastic visit in July of this year where I managed to spend 2 weeks taking photos - in between rain! I found myself in a similar problem regarding what to take but this was compounded by the need to take a tent and all ancillaries as I was wild camping for most of the fortnight. I spent about 8 months planning the trip and was pleased with how smoothly it went but there were areas of planning that could have been improved! Feel free to pm me if you want a chat about my last trip or the forthcoming one. BTW I took Quickload film last time and have decided that I am taking regular sheet film next time!:D
Regards paul

JPlomley
21-Sep-2007, 07:38
My Gitzo's are 15 year old Aluminium jobs covered in camouflage. Not worth a dime to anyone in this carbon fibre era so I have no problem checking it in my luggage. I take the Arca Swiss ballhead as part of my carry-on. I do disassemble the levelling base from the tripod, wrapping it carefully in undergarments (no one is going to inspect that :-)

jetcode
21-Sep-2007, 08:31
Hello everyone,

There is so much around this and other forums on airport x-ray machines with film transport, I am confused now as to what to do.

I am going to Iceland from Stanstead UK next February, and would love so much to take my 4x5 gear with Readyloads/Quickloads, but fear fogging by the x-ray machines.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or even better, does anyone know what the chances are of getting a request for hand-search at Stanstead airport?

I went to Scotland the other week via Stanstead, and 35mm 100 and 400 iso film went through the take on board camera bag with no ill-effects that I can see. Would sheet film react any differently.

Oh, I will go through Stanstead to Iceland and back, no other airports, so no multiple exposure to the rays.

Am I worrying about nothing?

Lastly, I cannot possible take my huge Gitzo aluminium tripod, and have seen a Manfrotto 055xpro. It is rated at 7KG (my set up is 5Kg), and it looks sturdy enough. any thoughts on the suitability of this tripod?

TIA

Steve

have your film developed in Iceland, most airport scanners no longer fog film but don't expect an airport to have the latest technologies

Paul O
21-Sep-2007, 14:22
A few problems with film processing in Iceland - finding somewhere and also the cost! I made sure I carried all film with me through airport security both ways - there is NO CHANCE of a hand search at a UK airport in the current state of alert.