PDA

View Full Version : leveling bases??????

Jordan
16-Sep-2007, 16:41
Will this cut down on setting up my photo? The leveling takes me a while so do these leveling speed things up?

C. D. Keth
16-Sep-2007, 18:24
I don't see that it's a big deal. I level my tripod in, maybe, a minute. It's not tough to do and i'd rather have the rigidity.

Peter Lewin
17-Sep-2007, 08:54
I suspect a semantics issue here. A "leveling base" is typically an additional item, with a limited amount of movement, which goes under the usual ball- or pan-tilt-head. The primary use is for panoramic photos, where if you only have the usual single head on the tripod, as you pan to make additional exposures (i.e. for stitching or side-by-side mounting) the camera shifts off level. I'm having trouble with wording, another way of saying it is that unless the head of the tripod itself is level, despite the fact that you used the pan-tilt or ball-head to level the camera, panning shifts the camera position. Since on most ground the top of the tripod is not level, that's where the extra leveling base comes into play. Arca just found the solution by placing the pan mechanism on their newest ballhead on top of the ball (i.e. at the camera base) eliminating the need for the extra leveling base (but I don't think the new ballheads are actually available yet, they seem to be "vapor ware"). Anyway, bottom line is that a leveling base will not speed up your single-shot leveling, but would speed setup if you are doing panos.

Ed Richards
18-Sep-2007, 11:25
When I used one, I found that it was much faster than messing with adjusting the tripod legs, and, once level, I did not have to mess with anything when I changed the camera angle. This was esp. true in situations where the ground was very uneven, or where I had to spike the tripod through layers of debris to get to the ground at all.

naturephoto1
18-Sep-2007, 11:39
It is a nice feature and is useful that operate more quickly but adds weight as well as cost. Gitzo makes the 1321 leveling base for their 1300, 1400??, 1500?? series tripods. They also offer several LVL series tripods with this feature built in. Other makers of leveling bases include Manfrotto and Linhof.

Rich

Don Miller
18-Sep-2007, 12:05
I use the 1321 on a metal 1400 series gitzo when weight isn't an issue. It's great. It doesn't make sense with something like a ball level. But with a head that is plumb and level when zeroed it makes for a fast setup.

It does speed up single shot leveling, but at the cost of additional weight and no center column.

I agree with Ed that it really helps when the ground is bad.

I thought Gitzo had some kind of leveling device with a column now. There should be more available since panos have become popular. I've found that fast setup comes from establishing and following a routine. Same with the decision to expose film. I do tasks in the same order every time. Not because I'm compulsive. Because I'm NOT compulsive.

Steve Kefford
18-Sep-2007, 17:26
I use the Manfrotto with a 3-way head, and find it a great addition. Obviously, extra weight is the downside.

Steve

Dave Parker
18-Sep-2007, 17:56
Simple answer.....NO

Simple question....whats the big hurry?

This is after all, Large format photography?!

Jordan
18-Sep-2007, 18:24
I like to take my time for sure. However, there are times when I need to level the camera quickly while also making sure I'm straight on with the composition I want. I like my lines in the image straight or else why would I really need movements. So I think I may try a leveling base.

Doug Dolde
18-Sep-2007, 18:27
I have one and wouldn't be without it. Trying to level three legs would take forever. Once you have the base level you can pan the camera without losing level.

Why the hurry? Unless you have photographed in fasting changing light you'd be lost on this one.

naturephoto1
18-Sep-2007, 18:30
Jordan,

If you are also looking for a tripod, as I mentioned, if the tripod is strong enough, look at one of the Gitzo LVL Carbon Fiber Tripods. It is a relatively light weight penalty but these tripods are not quite as easy to adjust as the Gitzo 1321 leveling head.

Rich

Jordan
18-Sep-2007, 18:36
Thanks guys! I love this forum!

Dave Parker
18-Sep-2007, 18:44
Why the hurry? Unless you have photographed in fasting changing light you'd be lost on this one.

Thanks Doug,

after 22 years of shooting for a living, I think I have this one covered..

Dave

Jordan
18-Sep-2007, 18:50
It is about about how fast the light changes as I photograph when I feel the light is right for the image. I also am not gonna gear up to take only one picture.

Dave Parker
18-Sep-2007, 18:56
OK Jordan,,

Many of us have geared up for one shot, but each has his own way of doing things, you have got the gambit of opinions in this thread, now you have to make up your mind to what works for you.

Dave

Jordan
18-Sep-2007, 19:17
Dave,
I appreciate the accumulated knowledge on this forum and yes now I have received enough info from this particular thread to probably either make or not make a purchase.

Jordan
13-Oct-2007, 13:35
Ok here goes again.................................

The situation I run into is unless I amd perfectly straight on with my image to begin with my horizontal lines aren't perfectly horizontal....... then I pan till those lines are horizontal, but then the camera is unlevel............ I tried one of the Gitzo leveling bases beneath my three-way head but when I tried to replicate this action of slight panning to get horizontals perfect it didn't stay level. Please help me out here with whatever knowledge you guys can continue to offer me. What am I doing wrong. it's not like I can't get things level eventually it just takes too long. Thanks in advance.

Jordan

Colin Graham
13-Oct-2007, 14:38
I may be missing something basic, but it seems like the axis of the leveling head would have to be absolutely plumb or perpendicular to the horizon or when you pan it'll go out of level. When I set up a theodolite or transit I spin it around several times 360 checking the bubble at cardinal points to make sure it is truly level.

Dan Fromm
13-Oct-2007, 16:02
I'm with Colin.

I use a Bogen 3119/Manfrotto 138. I bought it when I took up film, wouldn't attempt to shoot movies without it. And it is invaluable for still photography. The 138 has been replaced by a new model, still, I believe, < $100.

Bruce Barlow
14-Oct-2007, 04:43
Invest a half hour and practice setting up your tripod and camera so the camera base is level. After a half hour, you'll be so much faster and better at it that you won't believe it.

Can be done while watching the Patriots crush the Cowboys...

Greetings from New Hampshire, a suburb of Boston.

Rakesh Malik
15-Oct-2007, 09:29
I like to take my time for sure. However, there are times when I need to level the camera quickly while also making sure I'm straight on with the composition I want. I like my lines in the image straight or else why would I really need movements. So I think I may try a leveling base.

Are you using a solid ballhead with a sturdy tripod? My setup is like that, and in all honesty I rarely bother levelling the legs. I just set them up and tweak them until the setup is sturdy, then attach the camera and compose. To level it, I just use the ballhead, which is very easy and very quick. I don't need to worry about the ballhead's based being a bit off of level, because I don't care about that. I care about the camera being level and study, and since I have a sturdy rig underneath it, I'm fine. I've set up shots with two legs up on rocks and such, and the base of the ballhead close to vertical. I just panned it to put a drop notch on top and levelled it that way. You can't do that with a levelling base :)

If you're using a ballhead and not doing panos, you shouldn't have any need for a levelling base. If you're using a ballhead and doing panos, look into something like RRS' panning base with a clamp on the bottom. You can attach that to your ballhead and put the camera on it, level the camera (and with it the pano head), and then pan without worrying about un-leveling your camera.

Ted Harris
15-Oct-2007, 11:09
Bruce, I am ashamed ..... don't you know that Boston is a suburb of New Hampshire?

A levelling head is a useful accessory if 1) you are going to be making stitched panoramic prints of your exposures or 2) if you are absolutely sure you can use it instead of any other head and live with the very limited movement (btw, I own one and do not find it useful for this). For all other purposes it is redundant and, as Bruce says, there are other ways to get your camera level. I level fast on the head and then plop down a $5 bubble level to make the final adjustments if I need any.

Ed Richards
15-Oct-2007, 11:34
Lots of schools of thought on this. I cannot even imagine using a ballhead for LF, but I know many people love them. I shoot a lot of architecture, and want a pan/tilt head to I can tweak the level, and found the leveling head great so I could change angles without having to relevel. This was really useful when I was shooting from uneven or unstable ground. I use the Sinar Pan/Tilt system now, and while is very fast, it is less accurate because it drifts as you tighten the rail clamp down.