PDA

View Full Version : leveling implements

Jordan
16-Sep-2007, 11:41
Has anyone tried to save time in the field by utilizing some sort of leveling device that wouldn't have them fiddling around with their camera for about 5min. It takes me a bit to make sure everything is level and I was wondering if there was something some you guys used to shave some time off that process? Let me know as I have seen a few things on the BHphoto site that seemed rather interesting. Thanks guys.

Jordan

Gordon Moat
16-Sep-2007, 12:36
I have one of the small hotshoe double levels that I sometimes use. Recently I saw a similar device with three levels built into it, which might be better.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Terence McDonagh
16-Sep-2007, 13:20
I just use a bullseye level from Lee Valley:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51109&cat=1,43513

vinny
16-Sep-2007, 13:23
I use a bullseye level from home depot very similar to the version terence posted. $3-$4. I don't have it attached to the camera but just rest it on the bed when i need it. Buy 3 or 4 of 'em.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Sep-2007, 13:32
I have a few different levels. Sometimes I just use a simple pocket level.

Slightly better than that is an angle finding level, that can be used to determine whether the back and lens are plumb, or to transfer movements from one standard to another, like on a Sinar or other camera with scales--

http://www.echonyc.com/~goldfarb/temp/anglefinder.jpg

The best thing I have for this purpose is a Suunto Tandem clinometer compass, which is a fairly precise clinometer for measuring tilt angles or the angle of the focal plane, or a compass for measuring the swing angle. It turns just about any floppy wooden camera or no-frills monorail like a Gowland into a fairly precise instrument. You can usually find them at good prices second-hand on eBay from guys who have purchased them for installing satellite dishes.

neil poulsen
16-Sep-2007, 13:40
I have an inexpensive plastic level that I picked up from Sears for about $3. I like the plastic to reduce the possibility of scratching a lens.

In addition, I use the levels on my 3090 Bogen head. The levels are adjustable. Once set, I know that my front and back standards are correct, as long as they're in their zero detents.

vinny
16-Sep-2007, 13:43
I have a few different levels. Sometimes I just use a simple pocket level.

Slightly better than that is an angle finding level, that can be used to determine whether the back and lens are plumb, or to transfer movements from one standard to another, like on a Sinar or other camera with scales--

http://www.echonyc.com/~goldfarb/temp/anglefinder.jpg

The best thing I have for this purpose is a Suunto Tandem clinometer compass, which is a fairly precise clinometer for measuring tilt angles or the angle of the focal plane, or a compass for measuring the swing angle. It turns just about any floppy wooden camera or no-frills monorail like a Gowland into a fairly precise instrument. You can usually find them at good prices second-hand on eBay from guys who have purchased them for installing satellite dishes.

I own the suunto as well for the Sunpath software but i hadn't thought of using it on my camera. thanks

evan clarke
16-Sep-2007, 13:50
I have an Arca Cube and it is the single best piece of equipment I have ever bought. Put the camera on, dial in the two axes and forget it..Evan Clarke

JW Dewdney
16-Sep-2007, 14:23
A monorail camera is the best device I can think of for doing quick, efficient leveling...! Or a half-decently designed tripod head.

Jordan
16-Sep-2007, 15:21
I have levels on my camera and use them to great effect. I was more wondering about "leveling heads", "leveling columns", and this other thing that I gues you put between the tripod and the tripod head all which I believe almost level the camera for you. The problem is I fiddle around with the levels for so long that I miss good sun and shadow due to clouds passing amongst other things.

Scott Knowles
16-Sep-2007, 15:25
I use a hotshoe level, but also carry a string level (a simple bubble level which hangs from a string used in the field for leveling high water marks to outside gages at streamflow gages).

David A. Goldfarb
16-Sep-2007, 15:36
I don't own one, but the devices of this sort that I've looked at are the Levelhead and the Bogen leveling head.

The Levelhead seems really great for LF, and is worth the price ($5-600), but the price is more than I could justify for such a thing. It operates very smoothly and solidly and has great fit and finish. Photo Gizzmo carries them, and I think they have one up on eBay at the moment.

Bogen makes a much more affordable leveling head with three thumbscrews that seems to do what it's supposed to. At some point, I'll probably get one. The main purpose of the Bogen leveling head is to level a pan head, so you can pan and stay level.

Steve Barber
16-Sep-2007, 15:42
I just use a bullseye level from Lee Valley:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51109&cat=1,43513

For me, it is much easier and a lot quicker to set the camera up if I start with a level tripod head before putting the camera on it. With this kind of level, it doesn't take much time to level the tripod head.

Jordan
16-Sep-2007, 16:12
Yeah I guess I am curious about leveling bases??????

Pete Roody
16-Sep-2007, 16:57
Yeah I guess I am curious about leveling bases??????

Jordan,

Leveling bases designed for video tripods are simple and effective. I use a Gitzo leveling base (GS5120LVL) that fits bowl top tripods like the Gitzo systematic tripods. You level the tripod within 15 degrees and then use the leveling base to level the tripod head. It takes about thirty seconds to get the tripod head level.

Pete

Jordan
16-Sep-2007, 17:13
ahh yes that is what I am talking about. thanks Pete. I seriously missed to photos today because of making sure the camera is level. I have the large gitzo pan/tilt head the low profile 1570 I believe and honestly the movements on that thing drive me cuckoo. I am still looking for some more info on these leveling bases.

Jordan
16-Sep-2007, 17:30
So will the leveling base work with the gitzo 1570 head really well?

Pete Roody
16-Sep-2007, 17:49
So will the leveling base work with the gitzo 1570 head really well?

It will work with any head. It is designed to fit the the Gitzo systematic tripods. It replaces the flat plat or post that these tripods normally come with. It will fit the series 3, 4 and 5 tripods.

With a different tripod, you would use the leveling devices that David mentioned.

Pete

Ed Richards
16-Sep-2007, 18:12
Leveling heads are terrific, esp. if you like to rotate the camera a bit to reframe after leveling. I used one with a pan/tilt head and loved it. When I went to a Sinar, I mounted it on the Sinar pan/tilt head and got much the same effect - except for the ability to rotate it and stay level.