PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Linhof Technica?

christopherearle
16-Sep-2007, 10:19
I'm brand new to large format photography. I've recently gained access to a Linhof Technica 4x5 (not sure of the exact model) that seems to be in very good condition, although I'm still checking the bellows for light leaks.

I've figured out how to open it, hot to open the shutter to see an image on the ground glass, but I can't seem to figure FOCUSING out. Does anyone know of any "Linhof Operation for Complete Idiots" guides on the 'net? If I can figure out how to focus it, I'm planning on USING it on occasion :-) (I may shoot digital for convenience, but I STILL prefer a MF neg, and can only imagine that I'll soon start prefering 4x5).

David A. Goldfarb
16-Sep-2007, 10:32
Just to focus it in a basic way without applying any camera movements?

Squeeze the two levers on the front of the front standard to pull it out and onto the focusing rails. If there is a set of infinity stops for your lens on the rail, flip up the stops and slide the standard to the infinity stops.

Press the button on the back to open the folding hood.

Set the lens to the maximum aperture, and if the shutter has a button or lever to open it for focusing, open the shutter. Otherwise, set it on "T" and trigger the shutter to open it (you may or may not need to cock the shutter before using it on T. If it is a Compound shutter with a dial on top for the shutter speeds DO NOT cock the shutter while it is set on T--just press the trigger).

Now point the lens at a distant object and look at the groundglass. The focusing knob (depending on the model, you may have one on the right or one on each side) is on the front of the camera bed. If you have accurate infinity stops, the image should be in focus at infinity with the focusing rail all the way in. If you don't, try focusing with the knobs and see what happens. You can slide the standard close to the infinity position to make focusing easier, once you know where it is. Use a loupe of about 4X on the groundglass to focus more precisely.

Now look at the articles on lfphoto.info for more about using a LF camera, and you might invest in a book like Steve Simmons' _Using the View Camera_ to get more of a handle on the whole process.

christopherearle
16-Sep-2007, 10:45
David, thanks so much! That makes sense, and I've managed a successful focus :). With the double extensions, it focuses SCARY close.

Any advice on loading old wood Graflex double sided film holders? It looks pretty simple, just slip a sheet of film in and put in the dark slide, right?

David A. Goldfarb
16-Sep-2007, 11:10
There's an article on loading filmholders on the main lfphoto.info page--probably better than what can be explained in a quick post.

The main thing is to load the film emulsion side up. The film is notched, and the notch should go in the upper right hand corner or lower left hand corner when looking at the holder in the vertical orientation.

Bob Salomon
16-Sep-2007, 13:34
Go see Cathy at S&S Optika and she can show you how it works and what you need to make it operational.

Brian Ellis
16-Sep-2007, 16:26
There's a manual for the Technika IV that you can read on line or download and print under the camera review section of this forum (scroll down to Linhof Technika). It might help you with focusing and with any other operating questions you have. It doesn't matter much whether your camera is a IV, V, or Master, they all operate in the same basic way.

Bill_1856
16-Sep-2007, 21:12
I may be exceptionally dense, but Technikas are quite expensive cameras. Why in the world would you buy one if you don't even have such basic knowledge as how to focus it?