PDA

View Full Version : Master Technika Lens Standard Question

Arne Norris
15-Sep-2007, 10:03
Sorry for all of the seemingly simple questions lately about Technikas, but I'm new to using one, and I haven't been able to find a PDF of an owners manual for a Master Technika online. I guess it's time to buy own!

My question is this:

Is the swing on the lens standard designed to lock in place when it is swung in/out?

When I turn the lever forward the lens standard can be swung just fine, and if I turn the lever back slightly and move the standard back into normal position the standard clicks back into being locked in the normal position.

But there doesn't seem to be any provision to lock down the standard tightly when swung. (Compared to the lens standard shift that locks and unlocks in any position.) I've cleaned and lubicated the mechanism and there doesn't seem to be anything broken. Does the front standard just rely on friction to hold the swing movement in place?

Also is the current owners manual helpful enough to buy, or is there some other source of information that people have found thorough and helpful?

Brian Ellis
15-Sep-2007, 10:44
The Master Technika owner's manual is very throrough, one of the very few LF camera manuals that justifiably is called a "manual." Most come with no instructions at all or just a couple pages. Tuan has posted a Tech IV manual on this site, in the camera review section under "Linhof." You could probably get by with that since there are very few operational differences between the IV and the Master but with such a fine camera why not spend $15 or so and get the right one?

As to your first question, I don't remember my Master Technika well enough to tell you how to lock it down but I don't think front swing relies on friction to be held in place. Maybe the Tech IV manual mentioned above would help.

Scott Sharp
15-Sep-2007, 15:58
I took out my '72 vintage Master Technika. Front tilt locks, front shift locks but not front swing. That is strange. Unlocked the front swing is stiff and seems to rely on friction to hold it in place. I've never had a problem however with the front standard moving when I've used front swing. So you should be fine. One of the most solid cameras I've ever used.

Scott Sharp
15-Sep-2007, 16:28
I forgot to post a couple of helpful Linhof publications I recommend. The Master Technika manual is good and doesn't cost that much money. However there are two out of print Linhof booklets that contain great information on camera movements and other techniques specific to the Linhof Technika camera. Written for the older versions of the Technika but still pertinent information on using the modern Master Technika.

One booklet is titled Linhof Technique Data Sheets (14 data sheets bound in a booklet). The other excellent booklet is titled 14 Steps to Success in Large-Format Photography. These are late 1950's early 1960's vintage booklets. Sources for finding these booklets are on-line used book sites and that auction site. If you are not familiar with using a Technika, these booklets are well worth the search. Too bad Linhof hasn't come out with an updated version of these.

Bill_1856
17-Sep-2007, 14:50
I just checked out my Teck IV, and that's the way it is, too. Locked in the center position, but only stiff but not locked tight when swings are used.
I also checked my Super Graphic, and it's the same way.