PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Tmax RS Developer Mixing and Use

Ted Felton
14-Sep-2007, 16:28
For years I have been using 400 Tmax with Xtol 1:1 but I thought I would, for the fun of it, give Kodak Tmax RS a try. I downloaded the Kodak data sheet on Tmax developer and just receive the developer from Freestyle. The packaging and instructions are not in English and the data sheet is not very helpful. I didn't know that Tmax RS came in two parts (A & B). I want to use the developer as a one shot so my questions are:

1. Can I mix A & B together without water and then mix 1+4 for one shot use?
2. Do I have to mix A & B each time to use as a oneshot? I use a rotary processor so sometimes my quantities are very small (8 oz. for example).
3. Would it be best to mix the whole gallon with A & B and then store in 1 quart bottles and use as a oneshot?

Ted

John Kasaian
14-Sep-2007, 16:54
http://www.kodak.com/global:/en/professional/support/techPubs/j86/j86.jhtml

Cheers!

Robert Ley
14-Sep-2007, 18:30
Ted, John's link came up for me as page not found, but I persisted and got to this page on t-max developers :http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j86/j86.jhtml?id=0.2.20.14.18.14.7.16.14&lc=en#002
Is this the the data sheet that you downloaded from Kodak?

If it where up to me, I would mix A&B together just before I will use it and use the 1:4 dilution to adjust the temp of the working solution. I think that they come in an A&B configuration for a reason and I would not premix A&B and try to store it.
Good luck and let us know how you make out with this developer.
Cheers,
Robert

Pat Kearns
14-Sep-2007, 19:05
I mix the Tmax A & B solutions and then dilute as needed, usually a 1:10 developing in a Beseler drum at 75 degrees for 9 minutes on a one shot use. I have had periods of storage of several months of the mixed solution before dilution and use. I haven't seen any ill effects but don't have a densitometer for negative reading, YMMV.

Ted Felton
14-Sep-2007, 20:11
Ted, John's link came up for me as page not found, but I persisted and got to this page on t-max developers :http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j86/j86.jhtml?id=0.2.20.14.18.14.7.16.14&lc=en#002
Is this the the data sheet that you downloaded from Kodak?

If it where up to me, I would mix A&B together just before I will use it and use the 1:4 dilution to adjust the temp of the working solution. I think that they come in an A&B configuration for a reason and I would not premix A&B and try to store it.
Good luck and let us know how you make out with this developer.
Cheers,
Robert

Robert - That is the data sheet I downloaded and I don't see any specifice reference to mixing parts A and B. I was hoping to use as you do by mixing A & B just before use and diluting 1:4. I would assume you could put the B into A just before mixing with 4 parts of water. What ratio do you use; that is what is the ratio of B to A?

Ted

PViapiano
14-Sep-2007, 23:58
For use with Tmax films, I mix Sol A with enough water to make 32 oz. total. Then mix Sol B with enough water to make 32 oz total.

Then use 1 part A + 1 part B + 6 parts water, and you will be very close to a 1:9 dilution that many recommend, such as John Sexton.

The mixed solutions keep very long, up to 10-12 months. This was documented in View Camera magazine a few years ago.

Thanks to Mr Gittings for turning me on to this method...

Michael Heald
15-Sep-2007, 03:56
Hello! There is an article inthe archives here. John Sexton mixed A and B together and then diluted the mix.
I mix the two together and then dilute. I've tried 1:3, 1:7 and 1:9 (at 75 degrees) with a rotary drum. I tested each throgh BTZS. Not m uch difference, actually, except slightly less expansion with higher dilutions - about 1 1/3 stops instead of 1 2/3. Best regards.

Mike

Ted Felton
15-Sep-2007, 06:37
Thanks! Everybody has been extremely helpful. So there's nothing like going and doing it.

Ted

Ted Felton
18-Sep-2007, 08:26
OK, I did it.

I had to do a lot of head scratching to figure how I wanted to handle this. I ended up mixing Part A with water to make 32 oz. of stock solution and mixing Part B with water to also make 32 oz. of stock solution. Stored each in brown, quart bottles. I shot some negatives, mixed Parts A and B together and added water for the other half which gave me the 1:4 ratio. I used the times in the Kodak data sheet.

The negatives look good. It will take some fiddling to determine optimum film speed, etc. and it will take awhile to see if I like the results better than Xtol. Anyway, that's why photography is fun.

Ted

PViapiano
18-Sep-2007, 08:46
Glad to hear all went well...let us know how the negs scan, and please post an example for us to see!

Ted Felton
18-Sep-2007, 11:32
For use with Tmax films, I mix Sol A with enough water to make 32 oz. total. Then mix Sol B with enough water to make 32 oz total.
Then use 1 part A + 1 part B + 6 parts water, and you will be very close to a 1:9 dilution that many recommend, such as John Sexton...

Do you have starting times at various temperatures for the 1:9 dilution. I've been unable to find anything that lists them.

Ted

RPNugent
18-Sep-2007, 11:54
Try this link from the large format site

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/articles/sexton-tmax.html

PViapiano
18-Sep-2007, 14:06
Yep, the above link has good starting times. Just remember to control your temps and agitation pretty precisely, otherwise you can get very contrasty negs....

EdWorkman
19-Sep-2007, 08:44
When I tried TMY I found I could not get full speed with D76 so I got a gallon of RS. I assumed if A&B were separated that the keeping properties of the mixed RS must be shortened. As I knew it would be weeks or perhaps months before I could use it up, I tried it without mixing. I used RS one shot and found no problems nor inconsistencies- without the little packet- and got full speed as well.

Ted Felton
19-Sep-2007, 14:34
I used RS one shot and found no problems nor inconsistencies- without the little packet- and got full speed as well.

What do you mean "without the little packet"? Didn't you use the B solution?

Ted

EdWorkman
20-Sep-2007, 09:22
Yes, I mean I tossed the "little packet" , but I couldn't remember if it was A or B.
I used the concentrate out of the jug at max specified dilution as a one-shot. IIRC development time was substantially un-affected as well

Ted Felton
20-Sep-2007, 12:04
It had to have been "B" that you tossed. If you tossed "A" there wouldn't be anything left.

Does anyone know what the "B" solution for Tmax-RS does for the developer?

Ted

jeroldharter
30-Sep-2007, 15:27
A bit late to this thread, but I think it is easiest to add the little bottle/foil packet of solution B to the larger bottle of solution A and use that as the stock solution. I am using 1:9 dilution which makes measuring very easy: 50 ml stock for 500 ml solution or 100 ml stock for 1000 ml solution, etc. I use a Jobo CPP2 but I am in the middle of switching to BTZS tubes and it works very well. Also, you can mix the stock with tempered water so that temperature control is quicker.

Ted Felton
3-Oct-2007, 09:10
Kodak says on the Tmax-RS box (in all caps) and in the instructions not to mix A and B together until they are to be used. When it comes to these kinds of instructions I tend to believe Kodak.

Ted

PViapiano
3-Oct-2007, 14:11
Kodak says on the Tmax-RS box (in all caps) and in the instructions not to mix A and B together until they are to be used. When it comes to these kinds of instructions I tend to believe Kodak.

Ted

I'd love to see a firsthand report on the longevity/performance of a stock solution when mixing A+B together, and sitting in your cabinet for a year.

Anyone?

This has always been the reason I use the method described in my earlier post...