PDA

View Full Version : Kentmere Warmtone FB VC?

Philippe Gauthier
13-Sep-2007, 12:09
So the word is true: Kentmere is at last available in Canada. Just found some at PhotoService in Montréal. I bought 25 sheets of Warmtone FB VC paper (the only choice available for now) that I plan to test as soon as possible.

But it's always nice to know what to expect. Unfortunately, the archives don't say much at at on Kentmere warmtone. Is the paper very white? What's its range? Can you expect deep blacks? And how does it react to selenium toning?

evan clarke
13-Sep-2007, 12:36
Rob Skeoch has Kentmere in Canada. I have bought some things from him, a nice guy.

http://www.bigcameraworkshops.com/default2.asp

Eric Rose
13-Sep-2007, 18:40
I tried the regular Kentmere FB VC with both Ansco 130 and Dektol. Really sang with the Ansco developer but still very nice with the Dektol. If you selenium tone the non warmtone stuff it warms up very nicely and gives a very deep rich effect.

For anyone that hasn't tried it yet give it a whirl, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Bruce Schultz
21-Nov-2007, 11:25
I tried it, and didn't like it. I couldn't get selenium to have any obvious effects. I used Dektol and got muddy prints. I suppose I'll stick with Ilford.

SAShruby
21-Nov-2007, 13:18
I tried it, and didn't like it. I couldn't get selenium to have any obvious effects. I used Dektol and got muddy prints. I suppose I'll stick with Ilford.

What type of light source do you use?

Pete Watkins
21-Nov-2007, 14:42
Don't get too used to the stuff now that Ilford have got their grubby little hands on the factory. Asset stripping has become a tradition in British industry. As far as I can understand it Kentmere own their manufacturing premises, Ilford don't own theirs, but wouldn't the cash come in handy if Ilford sold the land for housing development! Cheshire is one of the highly desirable areas for "executive" housing in the north west.
Pete.

Colin Corneau
21-Nov-2007, 16:38
FWIW, for our Canadian shooters, Photo Central in Winnipeg stocks a lot of Kentmere papers, including this Warmtone.

I picked up some 11x14 and a few double-weight Warmtone FB in 16x20 - haven't had a chance to crack them open yet, but it sure was heartening to see so much in regular stock...we gotta support people who make the effort to carry these materials.

Ted Harris
21-Nov-2007, 17:29
Don't get too used to the stuff now that Ilford have got their grubby little hands on the factory. Asset stripping has become a tradition in British industry. As far as I can understand it Kentmere own their manufacturing premises, Ilford don't own theirs, but wouldn't the cash come in handy if Ilford sold the land for housing development! Cheshire is one of the highly desirable areas for "executive" housing in the north west.
Pete.

Ilford's purchase agreement when they bought Kentmere require them to continue producing ALL of Kentmere's products. I don't recall for how long but it is at least for several years. This direct from the Ilford owners.