PDA

View Full Version : Humidity inside scanner glass

wclavey
13-Sep-2007, 10:06
I did a search of the forum for information on this topic and did not find any, but if any of you can point to another thread, please do so and we can kill this one...

I live in Houston, TX. We have, what one travel writer called "a climate approaching that of Burma..." It is humid here all the time, with truly on a few days' exception per year. I have noticed, on the really bad days, that there is a slight fog accumulated on the underside of the glass in my flatbed scanner (I use an Epson 4990 for scanning 120 & 4x5).

I have 2 concerns. First, humidity is always going to be here and I cannot eliminate it. The computer room is on the second floor of the house away from the wash room, the kitchen, 2 of the bathrooms, etc., but there is not much else I can do. It appears that several passes of the scanning light heats it up enough to get it off the glass, but I'm not certain that there are not residual marks there that I cannot see through the glass. My second concern is that I know that humidity will condense more easily on surfaces that have dust on them than on clean surfaces. So could the inside of the scanner have some residual dust?

So the question is: is there something I should do? Attempt to open the scanner and clean the underside of the glass? Put dehumidifying packets (dessicants) inside the scanner body? Ignore it?

As always, I appreciate any thoughts.

Kirk Gittings
13-Sep-2007, 11:29
There is also an issue with outgassing on all pre 750 pro models of the Epsons that I have seen. Go to the:

Epson_Scanners@yahoogroups.com. In the file section there is a tutorial for opening them up and cleaning them. I have done it many times.