PDA

View Full Version : Sinar and sand

Jan_6568
13-Sep-2007, 09:28
Hello,
I am just back from vaccation in Norther California and Oregon Coast. It was really great except ... It was kind of windy when I was photographing in Shore Acres SP and some sand got into front standard of my Sinar F2. It is not very bad in a way that all the movements work well and smooth but the sound of sand in the camera's mechnisms makes me sick.
I would like to have the mechanisms cleaned. I have already tried canned air to remove sand. It helped but some of the sand is still there. Anyone has and idea how to clean it? I think the worst are the locks that hold the lens board and the bellows. Would you dare to disassemble the mechanism to get access to the internal parts?
Thanks a lot for any suggestions,

Jan

Ron Marshall
13-Sep-2007, 09:33
I looked at my F1 and I think if you are able to dissasemble it and are gentle and carful you will be able to get it together again. Worst case, you pack up the parts and ship to S.K. Grimes for reassembly.

Jim Noel
13-Sep-2007, 09:36
Sinar cameras are too precision to take into such conditions because the sans, and salt will grind away at the surfaces. When the conditions get that bad my Norma is packed away and the cheapy wooden field camera takes over.

I would have had that bugger apart the night it happened, blown out everything, wiped all surface down with a damp cloth (for the salt) then a dry one, then re-assembled.

The entire camera needs attention or problems may surface in the future. Think especially of the rail and all parts which come n contact with it.

No, I am not a camera repairman, I just take extremely good care of my prime equipment, or my good old Norma whould not still be pristine.

Ken Lee
13-Sep-2007, 09:59
I would rather take my Sinar to the beach than my wooden cameras.

Sinars are made of strong components which can be broken down, cleaned, and restored - much like (I presume) a good military rifle should be.

Photomax
13-Sep-2007, 10:20
I am with Ken on this one. I have a Sinar F1 and they come apart pretty easily. Good light, compressed air and some time should do the trick...

Ed Richards
13-Sep-2007, 11:12
Just pay attention to how the parts go together, maybe even a few digital snaps. I stripped mine down and spend some time getting the locks on the rise for the standards back together.

Jan_6568
13-Sep-2007, 12:31
Thanks a lot. I will try to take it apart - keep your fingers crossed, please. I am pretty good in taking things apart but not as good in re-assembling them :(

Jan

Brian Ellis
13-Sep-2007, 15:46
My sympathies. Some years back I dropped my Pentax spot meter in the sand while photographing on a beach. I've never been able to get the last few grains out. The meter functions fine but I get the same grinding you mention every time I turn the dial and it's extremely irritating.

Clueless Winddancing
13-Sep-2007, 21:50
Do it right and you would have a story with pictures on "How to__..."

lenser
13-Sep-2007, 22:06
If you are as lucky as I am, you've got a good friend who is a brilliant machinist and who likes to do favors.

If you don't feel confident in cleaning this yourself, and can find a good machinist, (and I emphasize good) he should have little trouble in taking this down, thoroughly cleaning it, re-lubing whatever it may need with the appropriate grease, oil, or dry lubricant it needs and getting it back together with ease.

I'm definitely not talking about lenses, meters and the like, but the mechanics of a large format body are reasonably straight forward for someone who makes their living interpreting and then machining far more difficult projects.

Rob_5419
15-Sep-2007, 15:15
Jan,

it's a nightmare. I managed to get some French sand in my darkslides when I left them on a sandy beach on vacation. Blower brushes are next o useless - the sand seems to cling and stick. In the end, I had to use a bristle brush to wipe as much off. The sand seems to try to move to the tightest of places possible, so disassembling the kit and doing a thorough clean out with WD40 oil to act as a vector for the sand is the best bet. Without a vector, the sand refuses to budge. After that, if it doesn't work, try using hot sticky bubble gum (not chewing gum - it breaks up too easy) and press it into the metal joint really hard, and then peel off. That should get rid of it. And follow up by a cool hair dryer setting thereafter.

If that doesn't work, there's always that auction site: 'mint-condition never been exposed to sand Sinar monorail for sale'. Ahem. Just kidding.

Jan_6568
26-Sep-2007, 10:39
I eventually decided to mail the front standard to Carol Flufot for cleaning. Just received it back yesterday. In case someone else has similar problem Carol did wonderful job.
Jan

Daniel Unkefer
26-Feb-2008, 23:37
I hiked to the top of the Great Sands Dunes National Monument in Southwest Colorado, with my Sinar Norma 4x5. The sand was blowing hard, just at knee-high and below. So, she was out of danger. When I got to the top of the dunes, I was glad she was with me. :)