PDA

View Full Version : Creo Oil Mount Station?

Brian K
13-Sep-2007, 03:51
Has anyone used or owns the Creo Oil mount station? I'm considering the purchase of one but there's very little info about it. What comes with the station? Does it's glass go on top of the standard glass or do you remove the standard glass? Any tips would be appreciated.

Marco
13-Sep-2007, 23:10
Brian, I "used" it only once (for our last series of images), and I was not operating directly the scanner (an IQSmart3), I only saw what the operator did while scanning my 12 transparencies (so I don't have much informations to give you about it), but I'm sure that you have to remove the standard glass to place the mounting station instead...

Ciao!!
Marco

George Stewart
15-Sep-2007, 04:47
I have one and use it. It comes with its own platen (so, assuming one has a scanner, one will then have two platens). At first, it appears to be over priced, but in retrospect it is appropriately priced. Scans are much better oil mounted, and it (oil mounting) should not be done on the scanner itself. The oil mounting station has a large rubber gasket that keeps fluid from spilling off the station. When one is done mounting, just clean up the excess fluid with a paper towel prior to lifting the gasket and taking the platen out. Additionally, one can place a large light box under the station to help in aligning the films. Highly recommended!

PS: If you've been scanning (with the IQSmart scanner) without the oil mounting and have noticed grain, it isn't grain in my opinion. What you are seeing is the actual texture of the coating on the platen. Oil mounting eliminates this apparent grain and give much improved scans.

Brian K
15-Sep-2007, 13:20
Thanks guys. I just bought the IQsmart3 and I think I'll get the oil station, if there's one available in the US.