PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Working 5x7'' set

robertu
13-Sep-2007, 02:51
Hi everybody,

I'm new in this forum, so first I would like to say Hello to Everybody!
After many years of photographing using film cameras I decided to give a try to Large Format.

I'm looking for an easy way to enter this area of photography. I'm looking for 5x7 reasonable priced field camera. I've chosen this format because I'll do mainly contact prints and scans.

What are you suggestions? As for developing I think Jobo drums could do the work, but I'm messed with model names. What do you use for developing 5x7 sheets?

Regards,
Robert

Nick_3536
13-Sep-2007, 03:51
How many sheets do you need to do at once?

Low volume then print drums work fine. 2830 drum will handle two sheets at a time. Used the drums are cheap enough you could get a few for not much.

Higher volume then you need an Expert drum. I think two different ones handle 5x7. But much more expensive.

robertu
13-Sep-2007, 04:20
Hi Nick,

Not more than 5, I guess. But two sound ok as well.
I found one drum mentioned by you on eBay.de: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280152158173
Could you explain me difference between 28xx series and Expert drums?

Regards,
Robert

Nick_3536
13-Sep-2007, 04:47
The print drums are big empty drums. They have ridges intend to hold paper in place but will hold film to.

The expert drums are more like a bunch of tubes inside a drum. Each tube gets loaded with a sheet of film.

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service/us_analog/instructions/instructions_misc_expert_drums.htm

Scroll down to the photo with the lid off.

robertu
13-Sep-2007, 06:29
So the only advantage of the Expert Drum is that they can take 6 negative at a time?
Do I read it correct? Or there is some hidden magic?
Which one is easier to operate/use 2800 series or Expert one?

Thanks,
Robert

Nick_3536
13-Sep-2007, 10:23
Basically. Some people have reported issues with the smaller film drums when doing 4x5 but I don't think I've seen similar complaints about the print drums.

The 2800 if you don't own a Jobo I'd say is easier. You can put chemicals in the top while it's standing up. The experts you really should add the chemicals while the tank is spinning.

Michael Graves
13-Sep-2007, 10:39
There was a member selling a Korona a day or two ago. That would make a great camera. I had to fight the urge to buy it even though I already HAVE two 5x7s.

I would strongly recommend the 3006 if you're going Jobo. It works beautifully every time and does a wonderful job of rendering my own shortcomings painfully evident through perfectly processed over or underexposed negatives. I tried a print drum before springing for the 3006 and didn't have the same good luck everyone else reports. Probably user error.

Richard Kelham
13-Sep-2007, 10:59
There's a Korona 7x5 (with 5x4 back as well) on UK eBay at the moment – it's item no 270165433463. Doesn't have a lens, but there's a few of those available too.

Richard

robertu
13-Sep-2007, 11:24
There was a member selling a Korona a day or two ago. That would make a great camera. I had to fight the urge to buy it even though I already HAVE two 5x7s.

Yes, I saw it. Just send a PM to the seller.

robertu
13-Sep-2007, 11:26
There's a Korona 7x5 (with 5x4 back as well) on UK eBay at the moment [...]

I'm watching this auction, we'll se how it goes.

Thanks,
Robert

Ash
13-Sep-2007, 11:38
Robertu, check RJ's F/S on the half plate camera. You'll have a cropped image on the 5x7 negative, but its a close match considering the price :)

Jeremy Moore
13-Sep-2007, 11:44
i have a tailboard 5x7 Conley which I'll sell for $125 (plus shipping) and include 4 5x7 wooden holders. will have some pictures and ads up soon.

robertu
13-Sep-2007, 11:48
i have a tailboard 5x7 Conley which I'll sell for $125 (plus shipping) and include 4 5x7 wooden holders. will have some pictures and ads up soon.

Is it C1 model? http://mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/conley_c1.html

Regards,
Robert

Jeremy Moore
13-Sep-2007, 12:28
No, it's a tailboard model which functions more like this camera: http://www.fiberq.com/cam/century/centvict.htm

Michael Kadillak
13-Sep-2007, 15:36
If it does not work out I have a 5x7 B&J in marvelous condition that I am not using.

Cheers!

robertu
14-Sep-2007, 01:49
I would strongly recommend the 3006 if you're going Jobo. [...]

How do you develop negatives in it? Using processor or manually?

Regards,
Robert

Michael Alpert
14-Sep-2007, 07:36
I'm looking for an easy way to enter this area of photography.

Robert,

I suggest that you do more research before you buy anything. I believe you can find a manual for a Jobo processor on-line. You'll see how a 3006 drum works. Also, a cheap camera or an improvised film-processing system may mean that you will be endlessly fighting your equipment instead of making photographs. I think you need to be careful. Also, no one has asked you if you plan to work in color or black-and-white. If color is your passion, 5x7 is not the right format for you: a variety of color film is simply not available in 5x7. Sheet film demands more time and effort--and money; but once you have everything in place and working well (including your darkroom equipment), large format photography can lead to fine results. I wish you well.

robertu
14-Sep-2007, 07:45
Robert,

Also, no one has asked you if you plan to work in color or black-and-white. If color is your passion, 5x7 is not the right format for you: a variety of color film is simply not available in 5x7.

Hi Michael,

I did a research (here in Dublin), and it's possible to buy neg/slides but only 4x5.
Anyway internet is full of good stuff - Fotoimpex.de sells a wide range of sheet films inluding 13x18cm or 5x7'', so I'm relaxed. As for color is concerned I am planning to use 4x5 slides with 4x5 back on 5x7 camera.

These are my thoughts for the moment.

Thanks for advices,
Robert

Ron Marshall
14-Sep-2007, 07:50
How do you develop negatives in it? Using processor or manually?

Regards,
Robert

Jobo sells a $25 manual roller base for the Expert drums, which works very well. I hand-roll the 3006 Expert drum on that base with 4x5 and 5x7.

robertu
14-Sep-2007, 07:57
Jobo sells a $25 manual roller base for the Expert drums, which works very well.

This could be good as I already bought 3006 Expert on eBay.de
Does it have number or model name?

Robert

J_Tardiff
15-Sep-2007, 07:31
I'm pretty sure that the roller base that Ron is talking about is Jobo #1509 , here's the B&H page: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/25524-REG/Jobo_1509_Roller_Base_for_Combo.html

Ron, my oldest seems to dislike using our CPP-2, and I've thought about having her try your method with our expert drum, could you provide a few details about your approach?

Thanks,

JT