PDA

View Full Version : Getting the best from a LightJet - a question

JW Dewdney
12-Sep-2007, 14:37
I'm about to do a run of lightjet prints. I've had good results at the recommended 300 dpi/ppi - however I understand that the 'effective' 'native resolution' of the machine is something like 304.8 ppi (based on 12 pixels per mm or whatever it is). My question is this - would I see an advantage re-prepping my files for this resolution. My impression is - the way that the lightjet RIP works, there wouldn't really be a noticeable difference. But I could be wrong. Is there a secret trick to getting the greatest amount of detail out of the lightjet?

Thanks in advance - should anyone be actually experienced with this...

Doug Dolde
12-Sep-2007, 18:09
When I had Lightjets prints made I always gave them the 304.8. Why fight what they are asking for?

Robert Oliver
13-Sep-2007, 06:28
Their interpolation algorithm is supposedly the best in the business. I was always told to let the machine do it if you needed to res up. I don't think I would sweat about 4.8megapixels

JW Dewdney
13-Sep-2007, 13:33
172.8 Megapixels (40x48 inches) actually, Robert. I guess I generally DO sweat it - as I'm trying to look my best whenever possible. Who wouldn't want to coax the maximum out of whatever medium they're working in..?

Doug - well - I'm just a bit confused on the issue. I did end up giving them 300dpi since they insisted the machine maxed out at 300 and the whole 304.8 argument just confused them. I give up. Just hoping for the best.

Robert Oliver
13-Sep-2007, 16:53
experts I've talked to have all insisted that the lightjet interpolation is way better than photoshops... I've done a lot of really big lightjets for commercial clients.

i'm familiar with big prints. IMHO the difference between 300 and 304.8 would be negligible, if not exactly identical. Sweat it if you want. I would be shocked if anybody could tell the difference.