PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro x64 compatibility with Epson 4990 ?

Jose Amado
11-Sep-2007, 16:49
Hello,

When I had my Epson 4990 scanner connected with a running XP PC, I've got no problems scanning. But it was time to change.

No I think I did a big mistake changing for a new PC running XP Pro x64 (4 GB ram, 2 speedy disks, etc...).
The original Epson 4990 EpsonScan doesn't work anymore, neither the downloadable X64 EpsonScan versions from Epson site.

I'd be grateful someone help me about this. Or must I forget the x64 Windows?
Thanks,
Jose

Gary Beasley
11-Sep-2007, 17:41
I think Microsoft has made some updates that are blocking the installation of some programs. I've had XP Pro for a good while now and this last reinstall due to HD problems came up with invalid data errors for 3 or 4 programs, the Epson twain, my Canon camera twain, the printer driver for my Epson 870 and a driver for a usb card reader. All these worked before on the same OS. Microsoft has been unresponsive to my queries on this problem so I'm left to my own devices to solve this problem. Anybody else seen these problems?

Don Boyd
11-Sep-2007, 21:41
Jose, I have a Windows XP Pro X-64 machine as well (8mb ram). I don't have a problem with software but most of my hardware required new drivers or new hardware. I would be surprised if Epson spent the money to make the 4990 backwards compatible with the x-64 operating system. I bought an Epson 750 and it works fine.

Jose Amado
15-Sep-2007, 03:07
Thank's Gary and Don.

With a friend's help I did a full re-installation of XP Pro X64, re-install again EpsonScan, new X64 drivers, and at the end my Epson 4990 works again - I just re-installed the EpsonScan program. The other options that came bundled with the 4990 were NOT re-installed. I don't need them, and I suspect that they can't work properly with XP Pro X64, maybe they were the reason for my X64/4990 troubles...
Kind regards,
Jose

Paul Fitzgerald
16-Sep-2007, 08:09
Jose, glad you fixed it.

The instant cure for x64 driver problems is to dual-boot with XP or XP Pro, no more driver issues. The dual-boot is automatically installed with the second OS install and works very well. Useful for older hardware, all the drivers in the world available.

Just a thought.

Don Miller
16-Sep-2007, 10:39
I've just been dual booting between XP and XP pro. Since the only real use for XP Pro is big PS edits, I didn't bother with drivers. But I set this up over a year ago when fewer drivers were available.

Wouldn't Vista provide the same benefit of XP Pro?

Anyway, I've started my migration back to Mac, so I don't plan to run Vista.