PDA

View Full Version : Master Technika gg question

Arne Norris
11-Sep-2007, 15:19
I am looking at buying a MT from 1976. The ground glass is one I'm not familiar with, as it has the fresnel on the inner most surface facing the lens. The gg has an overall grid and markings for various 120 formats, and no cut corners.

The ground glass is at least 7 yeas old and the current owner doesn't know what type it is as it came with the camera when he bought it. I'm thinking it must be an old Linhof Super Screen, but not sure.

If it is a super screen can anyone give me feedback? I've heard they are prone to warping. Right now the glass looks fine.

Are these older super screen dogs or do they have a resale value if I decide to change?

Thanks!

Bob Salomon
11-Sep-2007, 16:00
What you are describing is not a Super Screen.

The Super Screen was acrylic with a fresnel surface on the front side and a frosted surface on the back side. It was frequently combined by the Overlay Grid which was a clear glass plate with a grid pattern on it as well as corners for 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12cm roll backs. The Overlay was also available without any markings or the grid pattern.

At no time was the Super Screen itself made with a grid or corner markings.

Over time the thickness of the Super Screen was increased to make it more resistant to bowing. To reduce any chance of bowing supports were added to the long ends of the screen so the unsupported lengths were reduced.

Now, does the camera you are looking at have the grid pattern on the cover glass or on the screen itself? Again - the Super Screen is not and never was glass.

Arne Norris
11-Sep-2007, 16:35
Thanks for the reply Bob!

The grid and markings are on the backside of the glass. Besides the grid there are markings for 66, 67, 69 and 612 and a sort of cross-hairs pattern in the center. The corners are not cut out.

The surface facing the lens is not a matte surface, but definitely a fresnel pattern.

To tell the truth I can't tell if the glass surface facing out is glass or platic, but it seems to be glass. So either the back of the glass is frosted or the plastic with the fresnel has a frosted surface inside.