PDA

View Full Version : Ebony or Mahogany Ebony

Richard K.
10-Sep-2007, 15:59
Which would you choose and why?

Jorge Gasteazoro
10-Sep-2007, 16:12
Ebony is a harder wood than mahogany, thus less prone to movement. Other than that I see no difference.

Eric James
10-Sep-2007, 16:19
I looked into this to some degree and most who purchased mahogany stated that the rigidity was comparable to the ebony, or at least adequate. Mahogany is of course less dense, so on the surface it appears to be a no-brainer. Then there are the issues of resale value and aesthetics. Most purchase intending to hang on to the camera, but our needs and desires change.

naturephoto1
10-Sep-2007, 16:25
The Mahogany is less dense and thus lighter than the Ebony cameras of the same design. Additionally, the Mahogany wood may need to be refinished more frequently than the Ebony which tends to be tougher. I also believe the Ebony cameras are a little more expensive than the Mahogany versions.

So it comes down to weight versus cost and toughness of the wood.

Rich

Greg Lockrey
10-Sep-2007, 16:43
Both are pretty tough woods. (Wood per pound is stronger than steel, BTW). It's really comes down to a matter of preference. The ebony will hold some higher value, but I would imagine that it's still proportional to initial cost.

darr
10-Sep-2007, 17:27
I also believe the Ebony cameras are a little more expensive than the Mahogany versions.

Actually Ebony Camera charges more for their mahogany cameras when the model is offered in either woods. Last I look, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $100.00 additional.

I have had two Ebony Cameras, a SV45U and currently a 45SU both in ebony wood. I had a Wisner 5x7 Tech Field that was made of mahogany and there is no comparison to the rigidity of the boxes when compared just on the woods alone. I play classical guitar and over the years developed a love for the hardness of ebony wood that is used on fret boards over other woods. I think for resale value most buyers looking for an Ebony Camera would prefer one made of ebony wood. I know I would.

Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

--Darr

naturephoto1
10-Sep-2007, 17:33
Unless the item is a special order, the Ebony version of the Ebony cameras are more expensive than the Mahogany versions. The 2 links below are the same camera in Ebony and Mahogany, respectively as examples from the Badger Graphic site:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=65

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=66

Rich

darr
10-Sep-2007, 17:47
Unless the item is a special order, the Ebony version of the Ebony cameras are more expensive than the Mahogany versions. The 2 links below are the same camera in Ebony and Mahogany, respectively as examples from the Badger Graphic site:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=65

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=66

Rich

I stand corrected!

Sal Santamaura
10-Sep-2007, 18:08
I assume this question relates to the 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 SV. Even the special order cameras, like that one, cost more in Ebony wood.

For anything over 4x5, my choice is Mahogany. The weight difference becomes significant with those larger cameras. There are already plenty of folks commenting that the Mahogany 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 SV is too heavy. :)

Don Hutton
10-Sep-2007, 18:31
I've owned a few Ebony cameras - my choice in anything larger than 4x5 would be for mahogany - the weight savings are substantial. I had a SV810UE for a while - it weighed 16.5 pounds - just way too much.

Eric Leppanen
10-Sep-2007, 19:01
Ebony wood is more durable and easier to repair than mahogany, so if the incremental weight and cost is not an issue then ebony wood is of course preferred. I recently asked some reliable sources whether I should purchase a 45SU in either ebony or mahogany wood, and I was universally told that virtually no one orders the high-end Ebony 4x5 cameras (SV45U/U2, 45SU) in mahogany, and if I did so my camera's resale value would likely suffer. However, I agree with the previous posters that for larger formats Ebony wood becomes extremely heavy. I have owned an SV810U in mahogany wood for the last several years, and have been very happy with its durability and performance; the wood is not quite as hard as the ebony, but it is still quite good. IIRC Ebony camera sells roughly a 50-50 mix of mahogany and ebony wood 8x10 cameras (at least that was the ratio quoted to me when I bought my camera several years ago), so a mahogany wood camera will certainly be a mainstream purchase in these larger format sizes.

Skorzen
10-Sep-2007, 19:11
I am new to large format, but have a little woodworking experience with exotic woods under my belt and can say that the wood portion of the ebony camera will be much heavier than the mahogany. I did a quick search and the specific gravity for Macassar ebony (the variety used by Ebony) is 1.09, it will sink in water. The specific gravity of Honduran mahogany is .51 so there is a pretty big difference in weight there.

Brian Ellis
10-Sep-2007, 19:24
I've owned both the ebony (45SVTe) and the mahogony (45SVTi) versions. I first bought the mahogony and when it wasn't sufficiently smooth, solid, tight, etc. I replaced it with the ebony, which also wasn't sufficiently smooth, solid, tight, etc. (so I replaced it with a Linhof Master Technika). If I were buying a 45 Ebony again, which I wouldn't, I'd buy the mahogony because it's lighter, for my tastes looks better, and as noted, I found no significant differences other than weight between the two woods. If I remember correctly, the Te cost a couple hundred dollars more than the Ti at that time, which was about 5 years ago.

Lenny Eiger
11-Sep-2007, 11:58
I love my mahogany 4x5. Titanium knobs and dials work like butter. It's a joy to use.

It's pretty rigid. I am on the West Coast and we have a lot of consistent wind out here. What I have noticed is that when you are in the wind it moves the bellows, and if you do that you are going to move the camera, or introduce subtle vibration, no matter what camera you have - or at least anything light enough to carry around.

As I think about it - I probably should get a sail - I have heard of these but don't know where to get one... if anyone knows where - drop me a line... something made of lightweight tent poles and a light fabric. I usually have my family get together in a group, side by side like a soccer team trying to block a goal kick. Sometimes it works.. I only have one child and one wife - and I don't want any more.

Lenny

Richard K.
11-Sep-2007, 13:31
I assume this question relates to the 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 SV.

It seems that lately EVERYTHING is relating to that darn whole-plate camera! ;)
I just wish that mine was built already...in Ebony...thanks for all of your thoughts!

tom thomas
11-Sep-2007, 13:52
Ebony is virtually impervious to water so won't swell in humidity or warp. It is a heavy wood though compared to mahogany which resists water when finished well but not as good as ebony. Old clarinets were made of ebony, not mahogany. They are probably plastic now though.

I'm new to the forum, just found this thread interesting so hope you don't mind.

Tom Thomas.

Antanas-Lukosevicius
11-Sep-2007, 14:14
Plastic clarinets? No way, mostly Grenadilla wood.

Mark Fisher
11-Sep-2007, 17:02
Seems like an easy choice....mahagony is lighter, plenty rigid, less expensive and also very dimensionally stable. Earlier someone mentioned that ebony is more stable. I'm not real familiar with ebony's dimensional stability, but mahagony is the traditional material for making casting patterns because of the dimensional stability so I think that mahagony would be plenty stable enough.

Bill_1856
11-Sep-2007, 17:12
Ebony or Mahogany Ebony?

I'd get a Gandolfi. They're better made, lighter, and have even higher social status, which is what Ebony is all about anyhow, isn't it?

Sal Santamaura
11-Sep-2007, 19:31
...higher social status, which is what Ebony is all about anyhow, isn't it?Not for me. I can't speak for anyone else though.

timparkin
12-Sep-2007, 01:38
Not for me. I can't speak for anyone else though.

Me neither, I wanted a light, highly functional camera that worked very well with wide angle lenses, was a non-folding design (for quick setup) and the assymetrical tilt was a big win. The fact that it also looked beautiful was a nice bonus :-)

Tim

cyrus
12-Sep-2007, 14:40
A woodworker would tell you that there are varieties if "mahogany" out there - some of which aren't really mahogany. Probably the same is true of ebony. In any case, while it is true that ebony is harder than mahogany, it is also more brittle and can crack more easily if it dries out too much. The price difference is attributable to the fact that ebony is harder to find and work with - not necessarily because it is a better material for cameras.

Greg Lockrey
12-Sep-2007, 15:07
I'd be pretty certian that what Ebony wouldn't skimp on their woods.

Greg Lockrey
12-Sep-2007, 15:08
Ebony or Mahogany Ebony?

I'd get a Gandolfi. They're better made, lighter, and have even higher social status, which is what Ebony is all about anyhow, isn't it?

If you can't make a good photo, at least you'll look like you can.;)

E_Aiken
18-Sep-2007, 12:12
Both are plenty nice. My 4x5 is a mahogany Ebony, a friend has a comparable model in ebony. His is definitely a bit heavier, though with 4x5, I think the weight of the camera is secondary to the weight of all the other crap you end up lugging along with you...

Antanas-Lukosevicius
18-Sep-2007, 12:30
When I was out walking today with my Gandolfi I didn't meet any other whole plate users - social????????

Robert Richardson
18-Sep-2007, 13:33
Such Bull,
A good photographer could care whether or not the camera was made of Ebony or Mohogany or Plywood! It's the image that counts. The rest is , whatever............

Antanas-Lukosevicius
18-Sep-2007, 15:09
exactly

tom thomas
19-Sep-2007, 14:32
Ebony or Mahogany? Old clarinets, oboes and other wind instuments were made of ebony due to exposure to moisture. Very dense wood, wouldn't swell as consistent tonal quality all important. If wood swelling or warping affects a camera used in the "wild" subject to wet, humidity, etc, that's probably why the wood was used.

Just a thought. Tom Thomas

Jorge Gasteazoro
19-Sep-2007, 17:59
Such Bull,
A good photographer could care whether or not the camera was made of Ebony or Mohogany or Plywood! It's the image that counts. The rest is , whatever............

Not really, no... if you are in a state where is very humid an ebony camera would be better, nothing worse than having a camera freeze on you. If you hike a lot, then a lighter mahogany camera would be better, after carrying a camera for 2 or 3 hours you might be too tired to take the shot, one that could posibly be the best shot of your life.
Many of the best photographers do care about the equipment they use. While they could probably take a good shot with any camera, having one that fits their style is important.

A statement like this only proves that you use your camera very little and probably no farther than 100 feet from your car.

Steve Hamley
19-Sep-2007, 20:18
"Such Bull, A good photographer could care whether or not the camera was made of Ebony or Mohogany or Plywood!"

I take it that you do not own one or have ever used one under field conditions.

Due to human factors (that's stupidity in non-governmental lingo), I've bounced an ebony wood 4x5 back down rocks at a waterfall and streamside rocks twice, once breaking the fresnel cover glass - I kept shooting after recovering the errant back, and the shots were fine. The ebony wood was so hard that a slight sanding and application of Watco Danish oil makes the cosmetic damage almost imperceptible.

BTW, the problem was a camera wrap and the way I carried and used it.

Under perfect conditions. you are correct, it doesn't matter what the camera is made of. Under real field conditions, it sometimes matters a lot.

Cheers,

Steve

robert fallis
20-Sep-2007, 00:52
Ebony is now a rarer wood than mahogany, and no longer available in large sizes, but in a camera I suppose that does not matter, and it's has a high oil content, and glueing is more difficult, of choice I would go for mahogany, though these days it may not be a true mahogany, if I where building the camera I would try for some really old Brazilian mahogany as this is very nice wood

bob

Jeffrey Sipress
20-Sep-2007, 09:20
The density or relative weight of a material does not necessarily determine it's strength. Titanium, carbon fiber, kevlar, honeycombs, corrugated cardbord, all woods, and even styrofoam are examples, compared to metals and plastics. I'm sure a mahogany Ebony is every bit as rigid as the ebony built one. I've had both. The SV45U (ebony wood) is still my main axe.

Howard Tanger
20-Sep-2007, 15:02
Hi Steve:
After reading a few negative comments about "$$$ Ebony Cameras"; sounds like jealosy (or something?) on the part of the various authors. Cordially, Howard

Bernard Kaye
20-Sep-2007, 20:16
It is my nature to confound: my ICA-Zeiss Ikon 5 x 7" (13 x 18cm.) Universal Juwel folding plate camera is made of "ebonized mahogany" reinforced with metal, covered with black Morocco leather. About 85 or more years young, square and true. It weighs 8.25 pounds. What is ebonized mahogany? Ansel Adams used one of these.

Regards to all, Bernie

Dave Jeffery
20-Sep-2007, 21:13
A little OT

Richard,

If you end up with a 45SU it fits perfectly in a very small Igloo cooler ($10). You just have to cut out about 1/4 of an inch of plastic so the rear focusing knobs will go all the way down to the bottom. It's a very cheap, light and protective case that easily fits in a backpack.

Good Luck!

Greg Lockrey
20-Sep-2007, 21:21
A little OT

Richard,

If you end up with a 45SU it fits perfectly in a very small Igloo cooler ($10). You just have to cut out about 1/4 of an inch of plastic so the rear focusing knobs will go all the way down to the bottom. It's a very cheap, light and protective case that easily fits in a backpack.

Good Luck!

Good tip. I have a soft lunch box w/strap to do the same thing.