PDA

View Full Version : On the Hunt...

Whibley
10-Sep-2007, 12:57
I am looking for a solid 4x5 field body. I'm getting back into large format portraiture and don't require the movement range of a mono-rail. I am currently in Whitehorse so my options are slim up here but I will be in Toronto for most of October. Any info on bodies, lenses, shops to check out or second hand websites would be much appriciated.

Cheers

lenser
10-Sep-2007, 13:20
Hello, Whibley. I'm way down in Missouri, so I have no information about the shops up there. But, I have used a few really fine field cameras.

In the USA, you might want to take a look at KEH Camera Brokers in Atlanta at KEH.com. They've got a pretty good range of cameras and lenses in large format. I've had very good purchases from them and a very responsible service attitude on one item that the refunded after the warranty ended. Can't ask for much more than that.

I personally think their rating system is conservative. The items I've bought that they list as bargain are often items I would rate as excellent.

I have owned a Toyo, a Toko (with the k, not Toho) and two Zone VI field cameras. The Toyo was one of the older gray models with a revolving back. Built like a WWII tank and a delight to use. Wish I had it back.

The Toko was very light weight and featured both front and back swings and tilts. Fine little camera but I traded up to my first Zone VI which was one made by Wisner.

That was a very fine instrument but I found a newer one and decided that I deserved that so I moved on. The Zone Vi cameras will allow for a bag bellows, a huge benefit with extreme WA lenses. They have the usual swings and tilts, but the swings are limited to the front standard.

I use mine for commercial shooting including lots of field work in architecture, plus for all of my field fine art shooting. Zone VI also made a pretty good camera bag (the nylon one, not the older vinyl. Space for the camera and six adjustable openings for holders, filters, meters and lenses. It's spacious enough for anybody's 4x5 field camera
and can sometimes be found on ebay. They usually go for around $100...give or take a bit.

Nick_3536
10-Sep-2007, 13:24
Mpex.

But if you aren't hauling it into the field save some money and get a heavier monorail. Nobody will force you use the movements. But most of the go light crowd won't want one. Plus you may want the longer bellows they tend to come with.

Gene McCluney
10-Sep-2007, 22:57
The simplest, most durable "field" camera for 4x5 would be one of the Graflex press cameras. They have front movements, and fold up into a hard shell which can be used as a weapon in a pinch. Or, for cracking walnuts.

Jordan
11-Sep-2007, 07:47
The toyo ax is seriously a great camera. rigid, precise, and built really well. It's a hair on the heavy side, but nothing too bad. I have one and will most likely never need another 4x5 unless I just feel like getting another 4x5 in addition to it for some reason.

Matus Kalisky
11-Sep-2007, 08:12
Think of the lenses you want to use with it. If you are going to use some 135 - 210 lenses - any camera will do the job. If you want to go with 300mm and fast ones - than you need more bellows extrension and a pretty solid body. (I would probably not try to put some 300mm long f4 brass lens on my Tachihara 4x5).

But for portraits a 5x7 or 8x10 for contact prints would be also nice ;)

SamReeves
11-Sep-2007, 22:23
I went with Adorama several years ago and got a Tachihara system. Can't complain. What a great little camera it is for the dough! :)