PDA

View Full Version : 6x17 Roll Film Backs

ljsegil
9-Sep-2007, 13:33
Does anybody have a feel for the relative quality of the Day Yi vs the Shen Hao 6x17 roll film backs? I'm having a hard time figuring out the differences between the two, both in terms of features, function, ease of use, build, reliability, or most any parameter. Is there anyone who has actually had the opportunity to use both or in some other way compare them? Are they decent units? Do they produce decent pictures (I guess that is really the bottom line)?
Many thanks,
LJ Segil

David A. Goldfarb
9-Sep-2007, 13:55
I haven't compared them, but I've used the DaYi, and I've been satisfied with it. If you do a search here and at apug.org, you can find some impressions that I've posted, along with some test shots.

Greg Lockrey
9-Sep-2007, 13:59
I like my Da-Yi too.:)

Jiri Vasina
9-Sep-2007, 14:02
I have a Da Yi 6x12cm back, and have not had any problems. I like it too...

Aender Brepsom
9-Sep-2007, 23:41
I can only speak for the Da Yi 6x17 (rebranded Panoraflex here in Europe). It makes a good impression as for the built quality and it sure can take excellent pictures. It adds 1.6 kg to the bag but it makes a 4x5 camera so much more versatile. I am glad I bought mine.

ljsegil
11-Sep-2007, 09:54
Anybody have any comparative comments on the Shen Hao 6x17 roll film back? Sounds like the Da Yi crowd is pretty satisfied.
LJ

Jiri Vasina
11-Sep-2007, 13:00
Well, from the images I've seen, they seem to be so similar as to be easy to confuse. So I doubt that someone will have both of them - if you don't like them, you probably go for a totally different brand... But yes, the DaYi so far has a good reputation...

David A. Goldfarb
11-Sep-2007, 13:05
These various Chinese 617 backs are all similar, but some seem to be prone to light leaks, and it would be good to figure out which ones those are.

Jiri Vasina
11-Sep-2007, 13:08
My DaYi 6x12 is not one of them [having light leaks]. But it is a 6x12, not 6x17cm. I'm not sure to what extent we can generalize...