PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon 450 / 12,5 flange distance

Radim Sulc
9-Sep-2007, 01:50
Hi,

May I ask you for flange distance of Fujinon C 450/12,5 at infinity ? By the way, do you know any file with flange distances of all LF lenses.

Many thanks.

Radim

Tony Lakin
9-Sep-2007, 03:12
Hi
I make it 421mm ground glass surface to lens flange.
Hope this helps.

David Karp
9-Sep-2007, 08:42
Ebony has a handy chart on its website with this information for many modern lenses: http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/lenses.html

Useful for future reference.

Radim Sulc
9-Sep-2007, 12:43
Many thanks guys !!!

ljsegil
9-Sep-2007, 13:06
Just to change the subject, though only slightly, does anyone have any knowledge/experience using an extension on a lensboard to enable use of a lens like the Fujinon 450 on a camera with marginal bellows extension? My camera has 435mm total extension between the bellows and back extension and I am wondering if such a lensboard might make the 450mm lens more usable. I am hoping very much that the answer is yes--I would really like to be able to use the lens.
Thanks,
LJS

Sheldon N
9-Sep-2007, 13:49
Yes, they are commonly used. I have a friend who uses a 450mm Fuji on a Linhof Technika with an extension board. The Technika only has ~360mm of extension, so it certainly sounds workable with your camera.

Tilts would get a little funky, since you are hanging the lens way out in front of the tilt axis.

ljsegil
9-Sep-2007, 16:10
Wouldn't the extension cause the lens to behave as if it were a true telephoto with the nodal point, centered in the long lens, in front of the tilt axis? I wonder if the back of the extension might also cause any vignetting?
Very curious.
LJ

Eric Leppanen
9-Sep-2007, 16:34
Wouldn't the extension cause the lens to behave as if it were a true telephoto with the nodal point, centered in the long lens, in front of the tilt axis?Yes, the extender moves the lens (and nodal point) in front of the front standard, so the image will move if tilt/swing is applied. However, if one has rear tilt/swing then this situation can be easily managed: determine the amount of tilt/swing required using rear movements, apply the same amount of tilt/swing to the front standard, rezero the rear standard, and recenter the image. This presumes, of course, that the extender is not so long as to cause vignetting issues.

I wonder if the back of the extension might also cause any vignetting?Yes, an extender board will potentially cause vignetting and must be used carefully. I suggest reading about Kerry Thalmann's extender for his Toho field camera at http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm (see Figure 8g). He did not experience vignetting with his Fuji 450C when his camera's maximum front rise/fall was applied, but I'm sure his setup would vignette when tilt/swing is applied, so I presume he used the rear standard for such movements.

David Karp
9-Sep-2007, 17:04
I built an extender to use my 450 C with an Improved Seneca Whole Plate camera. No problem using rise. There are no swings or tilts on the front, so nothing to report one way or the other with those movements.