PDA

View Full Version : Help with Horseman VH-R

karrisz
7-Sep-2007, 20:19
Hello, Everyone.

I've acquired a Horseman VH-R camera body recently. I have had to skip many many meals. I am buying a Horseman Pro 75mm. lens mounted on a lens board and comes with a cam. I'm planning to buy a Polaroid back, a G-Spacer and a RF-Spacer later. All the items come from one camera source. Money is real big issue for me, I work in a warehouse. So, I have to space out my purchases.

Here's the problem. The people who's selling me this stuff have no idea how any of these items work. We've mounted the lens on the camera and it fits and you can focus on ground glass and everything. But we don't know where the cam's supposed to go and we know we need it to work the RF. And the Polaroid back and the spacers?

Please help, them things ain't cheap. I'm hoping to used this camera in place of my Century Graflex and I definitely looking forward to the Polaroid back option. The cam is probably simple, but please explain the 2 spacers that supposed to work with the Polaroid back.

Thank you for your supports.

Kris

Oren Grad
7-Sep-2007, 21:26
You can download a VH-R instruction manual here (http://martyfoto.kbx.cz/horseman/Horseman%20VH-R.pdf).

RJ-
8-Sep-2007, 04:00
Kris,

you won't require both spacers at the same time. The VH-R requires the G-spacer since the design of the Polaroid back causes the image plane to be focussed behind film plane. Thus by adding in the G-spacer in front of the Polaroid back, the correct focussing plane is achieved. Without the G-spacer, although your groundglass image will register, the focussing on the Polaroid film will be out of focus.

The view cam is a separate issue: this is not required unless you wish to use it for rapid composition/focussing work. In which case, the cam must match the focal length of the lens.

It's a great portable system. I'm happy with the Century Graphic; you may be able to find some information on the two issues on the www.graflex.org website.

Kind regards,

RJ

karrisz
8-Sep-2007, 16:53
Thank you very much, Oren Grad and RJ, for your helps.

Oren Grad, I did contact Horseman USA for the manual, but my email was returned undelivered. So, this is awesome, thanks a bunch.

RJ, I love my Century, too. Though, I'm not too fond with the Graftar lens. I plan to make a pin hole lens board and use it as a pin hole camera. The VH-R has some movements that I'd like to have. I usually used my Baby Deardorf for more tedious shooting, but then I got used to the tedious shooting process. So, I just shoot everything that way now. Except, of course, when I shoot with the Century pin hole when I have it done. Thank you again very much.

Many kind regards

Kris