PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 4x5 detents, et al.

adonis_abril
7-Sep-2007, 14:44
I know very little about this camera other than what's been mentioned on this forum. I'm about to put an order in but before I do, I would like to know if it has any zero detents on front and back standard for tilts (from those who have it). I currently own a Canham DLC (it replaced a Wista SP), although it's lightweight I can alway appreciate a pound or two shaved off since I do multi-day backpacking with it.

I considered a Toho Shimo but I often use, 70 percent of the time, a 75mm lens - I like the Caham's ability to handle such a wide lens without further need of bag bellows. My longest lens is 210mm and maybe a 300-360mm range in the near future... I'm wondering how the Chamonix would handle these lenses. Should I just stay with the Canham?

Thank you,

Adonis

Amund BLix Aaeng
7-Sep-2007, 15:14
I know very little about this camera other than what's been mentioned on this forum. I'm about to put an order in but before I do, I would like to know if it has any zero detents on front and back standard for tilts (from those who have it). I currently own a Canham DLC (it replaced a Wista SP), although it's lightweight I can alway appreciate a pound or two shaved off since I do multi-day backpacking with it.

I considered a Toho Shimo but I often use, 70 percent of the time, a 75mm lens - I like the Caham's ability to handle such a wide lens without further need of bag bellows. My longest lens is 210mm and maybe a 300-360mm range in the near future... I'm wondering how the Chamonix would handle these lenses. Should I just stay with the Canham?

Thank you,

Adonis

It has zero detents on both front and rear standards.

naturephoto1
7-Sep-2007, 15:15
The Toho Shimo FC-45X should probably work with a 75mm lens in most circumstances fine when used with the Toho Eccentric Lens Panel which takes the place of a Wide Angle Bellows. The Eccentric Lens Panel will yield an extra 15mm of rise, fall, or left and right shift to the camera. It is just a matter of getting used to using the panel.

Rich