PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Zoom Holder and Ebony 45S

Neil Gordon
7-Sep-2007, 13:02
I'm the recent purchaser of an Ebony 45S and would like to use it with my Sinar Zoom roll film holder. Unfortunately the holder will not fit completely within the Ebony's spring back due to the holder's construction. Since the Ebony's back is of the Graflock design I've tried removing it but there aren't any fittings on the Sinar holder that would allow it to be "locked" into place. I'm hoping that someone might have a suggestion?
Thanks, Neil

Oren Grad
7-Sep-2007, 13:10
The earlier Sinar holders have grooves along the edges that will accept the Graflok sliders. I gather that they were eliminated in the Zoom 2, but I'm not sure about the Zoom.

Helen Bach
7-Sep-2007, 19:45
It wouldn't take much effort to remove a small amount of wood from my Ebony RW45 to get a Zoom 2 to seat fully, and that is what I would do if my Zoom 2 had not had Graflok grooves machined into it.

Best,
Helen

Paul O
8-Sep-2007, 03:13
Hi. Ebony will modify the camera back to allow the use of the Sinar film holder but you will need to send the back to them to to the (minor) alteration.

Helen Bach
8-Sep-2007, 06:14
It looks easy to do yourself. Why does it have to be sent back to Ebony? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Helen

David A. Goldfarb
8-Sep-2007, 06:17
And if it's a known problem, are they still making the backs this way?

Paul O
8-Sep-2007, 06:19
I've not used a Sinar Zoom holder so I don't know what the modification requires? I suppose the reason there is the option to send it back to Ebony for any modification is purely for those who lack the confidence/experience/tools or skill to do it themselves - I'd include myself here :D

Don Hutton
8-Sep-2007, 06:21
And if it's a known problem, are they still making the backs this way?It's not problem David - it's just the way their backs are designed.

Helen Bach
8-Sep-2007, 07:25
On the RW45 about 8 mm (5/16") of wood would need to be removed from the sloping lip at the film holder entrance, and you would probably have to relocate the screws holding the GG protector catch. It is not something that you would want unless you needed compatibility with a Zoom 2 (or later Zooms, it seems) - and how many people require that? Maybe the best way is to get the Graflok grooves machined into the Zoom. Maybe Ebony could offer the compatible part* as a special order accessory, rather than sending your back back to Japan and back.

*It is only the bit you remove to use Graflok backs.

Best,
Helen