PDA

View Full Version : So how does this work ?

davidb
7-Sep-2007, 11:33
I just got a Schneider 240mm APO Symmar to use on a Wista 45SP.

It is a Copal 3 shutter. Huge.

So how does this work on the camera. I can't move the aperture lever.

naturephoto1
7-Sep-2007, 11:46
Hi David,

You may want to turn the lens about 45 degrees to the right on the lens board so that the aperture can be adjusted for the Copal 3 shutter (I presume the spacer ring is attached to the rear of the lens). That is how I used to attach my Rodenstock f9 360mm Apo Ronar lens to mount it on my Linhof Super Technika IV and my Linhof Technikardan 45S.

Rich

Nick_3536
7-Sep-2007, 11:47
You need a spacer I bet. Do a search for Copal #3 spacer.

davidb
7-Sep-2007, 12:30
I just found the spacer in the box. Still a pinch.

I can go from f8 to f45 if I place it right.

Glenn Thoreson
8-Sep-2007, 11:37
Does the aperture lever move freely throughout the range with the shutter off the board? There should be a locating pin (screw) stickng ut the back of the shutter. This is also the stop pin for the aperture ring. Proper mounting involves drilling a shallow hole in the face of the board for the pin to sit in, oriented so the shutter sits in the position desired. The back of the hole the shutter fits through needs to have a recessed area larger than the mounting hole, if the board is over 1/8" thick. If you have a 1/4" thick board, the spacer and mounting ring will not work without the 1/8" deep recess. Mounting goes like this: shutter through the board with locating pin in it's hole. Spacer and ring screwed on from the back. If the aperture doesn't work properly with the shutter off the board, something is wrong with the shutter. Good luck. I just mounted one of these for my 8X10.

davidb
10-Sep-2007, 23:17
The aperture works perfectly. It was the parts of the camera blocking the use of the lens, not the lens itself.

I am using a Wista and the latch that locks the lensboard onto the body is blocking the aperture lever. Get it?

The lens is fine. It's just too damn big for this camera. Maybe I need to find the Fujinon 240mm A.

naturephoto1
11-Sep-2007, 06:03
Hi David,

That is part of the reason that I suggested to turn the lens on the lens board about 45 degrees to the right. If you haven't tried, then check to see if this gives you enough clearance to turn the aperture ring. Of course this lens will be much larger and heavier than the Fujinon 240 A.

Rich

davidb
11-Sep-2007, 08:42
Yeah...I am now on the hunt for the Fujinon. Look for this lens in the classifieds.