PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 colour film

Don Wallace
7-Sep-2007, 06:29
I bought a box of Portra 400 NC last year on a whim - it was short-dated, I figured what the hell. I finally got around to shooting a pair of sheets from the box of 10 and WOW I love it. I have not got contacts made yet because I can't do colour in my darkroom, but even looking at the less-than-perfect scans, it is gorgeous stuff. A friend showed me some 8x10 colour contacts he did a while back and I loved them.

So now I want to get MORE. I asked Vistek for a price on a box of 8x10 Portra and they quoted $125. Well, I thought, ok, that's not horrible for 25 sheets. I almost fell on my arse when he told me it was for a box of 10. B&H is at least 40 bucks cheaper but then there is exchange (not much these days however), shipping to Canada, tax, and maybe duty (?).

I feel like the guy who got a hit of crack for free and is now wired.

Is there any less expensive 8x10 colour neg out there?

Anyone got any spare change?

Nick_3536
7-Sep-2007, 06:34
I forget if Freestyle is a few dollar less or more. The Fuji was cheaper but still not a lot cheaper.

No duty but if all you're ordering from B&H is a 10 sheet box of film you'll pay $20+ for shipping. So it only makes sense if you pad the order out. You'll pay tax with Vistek to so that's a wash.

Nick_3536
7-Sep-2007, 06:37
Oh you might want to check with Badger. They have some other shipping options to Canada so if all you need is film it might be better.

Gene McCluney
7-Sep-2007, 07:38
The only manufacturers making Large Format color negative film are Fuji and Kodak. In both cases their prices seem to be fairly steady between retailers.

Don Wallace
7-Sep-2007, 08:20
The only manufacturers making Large Format color negative film are Fuji and Kodak. In both cases their prices seem to be fairly steady between retailers.

Gene, this is what I am finding out. I also checked and there is no duty on American-made film imported to Canada. I think if I buy Fuji from the US, I have to pay duty. I will have to pay both federal and provincial tax, however. Portra 160 NC is $73.95 from Badger which for me will wind up at about $83.50 without shipping.

jetcode
12-Sep-2007, 03:14
Gene, this is what I am finding out. I also checked and there is no duty on American-made film imported to Canada. I think if I buy Fuji from the US, I have to pay duty. I will have to pay both federal and provincial tax, however. Portra 160 NC is $73.95 from Badger which for me will wind up at about $83.50 without shipping.

order up - wince once when the bill is paid - shoot it like the gold it is - relish the treasure