PDA

View Full Version : So I went to the post office today...

Captain_joe6
6-Sep-2007, 21:36
and they gave me this box:

(Unfortunately, my digital camera is down for the moment, so in this space, please imagine a box of about 14x12x8, skillfully and completely wrapped in tape)

Oh, I do so wonder what could be in the box. Let me open it...

(As before, image a downward view of the box, which has been opened, showing a small sea of packing peanuts)

In the middle of all those peanuts is a sandwhich of styrofoam-object wrapped in plastic-more styrofoam, all of it held together with masking tape and quite sturdy.

Lets just move along a little more traditionally from this point on...

In the very nice box filled with peanuts and sandwhiched by styrofoam, was the nicest 8x10 film holder I have ever laid eyes on. They folks at Chamonix have really out done themselves with this. To begin, it comes in its own protective bag, which, after feeling it, is actually protective and not just for show. It is a peculiar shade of green and constructed of some sort of nylon on the outside and lined with a grey synthetic fleece. There's a flap to close things up, and the flap is held closed by something that I've never seen before. Its like velcro, a little bit weaker (which is actually nice, opening it takes just the right amount of pull), but it isn't rough to the touch and it has a glossy sheen to it. There aren't any stiff fibers sticking up from it to grab the fleece, but sure enough, it grabs well.

Getting to the holder itself, it is truly a work of art. Alan Brubaker of AWB and Lotus of Austria have some very, very serious competition on their hands now. It is constructed of Canadian white maple, has an aluminum core, and aluminum dark slides. All this works out to an amazingly light package. Although I don't have a scale handy, I can tell you that comparitively, it feels like it weighs about as much as 3 Fidelity 4x5 holders.

The fit finish is absolutely gorgeous. All the exposed wood is finished in a very nice satin clearcoat that is perfectly cured with no hint of tackyness, not even outdoors on a hot humid day like today. Not even with sweaty fingers. The core is of course black, and it is very non-reflective and evenly coated. Looking at the core, both sides are totally uniform in finish and smoothness. They are also completely level. If any discrepancies exist, they're impossible to see. The inside of the end flaps is painted a good matte black, as is everywhere else than needs to be light-tight. The joints all look very pricise and everything is very, very smooth. Running a finger over the joints I can't feel them at all. Very impressive.

As far as the slides go, they are equally nice. All the edges have been deburred and they have been anodized (i believe anodized) black. Nothing about them is sharp, nor do they feel flimsy. Rather, they feel quite unbreakable. The tabs are a lesson in simpllicity. Instead of built up handles, they have 6 holes cut into the top edge of the 'handle-like portion' of the slide, which is exactly 4.5 inches in width. The holes are a perfect touch, as they provide something to grip when pulling them out. They're black on both sides, which may seem like it would lead to confusion between exposed and unexposed holders, but fear not, Chamonix has etched their name into one side of each slide's handle. It is subtle (the text is black like the rest of the slide) but still visible.

The light traps are very smooth and excellent at keeping the light out. I tested the holder with photo paper in direct sunlight and later with a flashlight and not a single leak occured. Like I said, every joint on this thing is perfect. Even with carefull wiggling and sun hitting the traps directly, I was not able to coax a leak out of them. The slide locking tabs are a bit stiff, but should loosen up with use.

Each trap is held in place with 6 stainless steel screws, 3 on each side. None of the heads are stipped, and each is very slightly countersunk.

Down one long side on each face of the holder, Chamonix has placed its emblem, name, and holder size. For anyone who has never seen the Chamonix logo, it is very tasteful. It is comprised of a heartbeat-type line (the kind you would see on an EKG machine) showing 1 beat, and this is bracketed on four corners. The idea seems to be 'capturing the pulse' or something along those lines. I like it very much. At the top of each face, Chamonix has affixed a paper sticker identifying themselves yet again, and also labelling the sides of the holder as 'A' and 'B.' Its a nice little touch.

I'd also like to mention the flap tape on the end. It's a woven tape that's been coated in what looks like vinyl. Its very flexible, but still springy, and feels like its going to do its job for a very long time.

I tested the holder briefly in the field. Literally. I put a sheet of photo paper in each side (for super-quick processing) and drove out to a dry dusty field with some neat patterns and foliage for a couple of quick shots. In my Calumet C-1 with its bail back, it performed flawlessly, sliding in and out very smoothly and easily. One of the shots was pretty nice, the other was ruined by my forgetting to switch the shutter from T (for focusing) to B (for the 8-second exposure). What should have been 8 seconds was actually more like 20. Oh well, I'll hopefully never make that mistake again.

Overall, my impression of the holder is exactly like Hugo told me: its like holding a piece of fine furniture. It seems to be built with the amount of care and thought and item like this deserves, and is in my eyes quite perfect. Now, so I don't seem star-eyed, I have to mention just one little thing: the dark slides may not be so easy to grip for someone with very thick fingers. Not having a thickened handle means you've got to grip them betterm, so if you've got thick fingers you may find that getting a finger between the slide you're pulling and the other slide is a bit tight. That's my only 'concern.'

So, if you want a good film holder at a very good price, contact Hugo Zhang. He's a member of these great forums and will get you all squared away. Shipping is cheap (1 holder cost $10 to ship all the way from China), and scary fast. Hugo said the holder would ship Monday (Labor Day in US) and on Wednesday, it arrived, via USPS (I wasn't home to sign for it, so I had to go get it today). I can't even get stuff across the state that fast.

And finally, cost. Without putting specific names out there, the other new production wood 8x10 holders I've come across sell for $300 and up. Chamonix sells theirs for $179, and it comes with the protective case. Forget Fidelity, they're gone already. Forget Toyo, they have odor issues. Chamonix is for me, the clear winner.

Oh yes, I'll be posting pictures very soon, so be sure to check back often! Thanks for reading!

Daniel_Buck
6-Sep-2007, 21:45
It's encouraging to hear of the Chamonix being inexpensive, and of apparent quality :-)

Captain_joe6
6-Sep-2007, 22:30
Yeah. For $120 less than the next cheapest wood holder, the quality is on par. It was strange at first for me, though, because I'm so used to equating weight with quality. Heavy camera, heavy shoes, all that stuff, so for a little bit it was like 'it's so light weight, I don't want to break it.' But then I felt the construction and really looked it over, and I started to get a sense of exactly what this thing can handle.

roteague
6-Sep-2007, 22:50
Pics....

http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Work/needpics.gif

davidb
6-Sep-2007, 22:54
yikes

naturephoto1
6-Sep-2007, 23:15
Pics....

http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Work/needpics.gif

Robert,

That is really funny. :D :eek:

Rich

PBrooks
6-Sep-2007, 23:30
Captain Joe, here is a even better point that aluminum you are describing is actually carbon fiber.
PBrooks

roteague
6-Sep-2007, 23:34
Robert,

That is really funny. :D :eek:

Rich

I got it off the GMInsideNews forum (now you know one other place I hang out).

Captain_joe6
6-Sep-2007, 23:59
Interesting you should mention the carbon fiber. I had always heard that too, but when I got it in my hands, the slides just seemed too metallic to be CF. They also have a very metallic ring when tapped.

Yeah, after looking at them very closely and hearing how they sound when tapped with a pencil, I'm pretty sold that they're aluminum. I could scratch them to find out for sure, but I'd never do a thing like that. Whatever they're made of, they're very light weight.

PBrooks
7-Sep-2007, 00:20
My 4 holders all sound the same darkslides i mean, I have the 14x17. The film holders are beautiful. CF for sure.

Captain_joe6
7-Sep-2007, 10:24
Does anybody know if there's a non destructive way to check if something non-ferrous is metal or not? I'd like to get this figured out. Inquisitive minds want to know!

Alan Rabe
7-Sep-2007, 10:43
metal conducts electricity, carbon fiber does not.

Captain_joe6
7-Sep-2007, 10:51
metal conducts electricity, carbon fiber does not.

Aside from my not wanting to electrocute myself, and my prior belief that CF was a conductor, I have this to say:

THEY ARE CARBON FIBRER FOR SURE! HOORAY!

I just talked to Hugo, who has recently talked to the factory. The spetum/core is indeed aluminum, the body is Canadian white maple, and the slides are 100% for sure carbon fiber.

I can back this up, having bitten the bullet and placed a tiny scratch on one of them. Definitely carbon fiber.

Please adjust your impressions of my review accordingly.

-Patrick (Captain_joe6)

Jack Flesher
7-Sep-2007, 14:00
Interesting you should mention the carbon fiber. I had always heard that too, but when I got it in my hands, the slides just seemed too metallic to be CF. They also have a very metallic ring when tapped.

Yeah, after looking at them very closely and hearing how they sound when tapped with a pencil, I'm pretty sold that they're aluminum. I could scratch them to find out for sure, but I'd never do a thing like that. Whatever they're made of, they're very light weight.

That's exactly what I said in my "Blonds" thread -- it looks like aluminum, rings like aluminum, and no CF fabric weave pattern visile, so it must be aluminum! But it turns out that is indeed CF! I took a metal scratch awl to the corner of my GG protector (same thin material as the dark-slides) and went at it -- barely marked it at all! I wiped what mark was there off with my finger.

Cheers,

Captain_joe6
7-Sep-2007, 18:42
PICTURES! They're here! Borrowed my sister's camera, did some quick and dirties on the dining room table.

If there are any specific shots that anyone wants, PM me or something and I'll do my best to accomidate.

Enjoy!

CP Goerz
7-Sep-2007, 19:15
Do you know how many light traps are in the darkslide end? I tried to ask the seller about them but doesn't seem to understand the question.

One is OK but two really should be standard as few of us really pop the darkslide back in at a perfect 90 degrees.

CP Goerz

Sal Santamaura
7-Sep-2007, 19:19
...Getting to the holder itself...It is constructed of Canadian white maple...Although flash reflections appear to have fooled your camera into underexposing, the wood sure looks more like Chamonix walnut than Canadian white maple.

Captain_joe6
7-Sep-2007, 19:28
It is the same wood as the 'Blond thread' 4x5 camera. The white maple. My pictures just aren't as nice, they don't have that lovely studio quality to them. In person, the wood looks just like on the blond 4x5.

Captain_joe6
7-Sep-2007, 19:29
I should also mention that loading and unlaoding is extremely smooth and easy.

Songyun
7-Sep-2007, 19:37
Aside from my not wanting to electrocute myself, and my prior belief that CF was a conductor, I have this to say:

THEY ARE CARBON FIBRER FOR SURE! HOORAY!

I just talked to Hugo, who has recently talked to the factory. The spetum/core is indeed aluminum, the body is Canadian white maple, and the slides are 100% for sure carbon fiber.

I can back this up, having bitten the bullet and placed a tiny scratch on one of them. Definitely carbon fiber.

Please adjust your impressions of my review accordingly.

-Patrick (Captain_joe6)

:)

Why everyone thought it is alumium?

Captain_joe6
7-Sep-2007, 21:27
I thought the slides were aluminum because they looked like aluminum (that had been anodized black), felt like aluminum, and rang like aluminum when tapped with a pencil or fingernail. So, not wanting to scratch one to find out for sure, I just assumed they were aluminum, as they had all the basic characteristics.

I did finally scratch one, and it proved to be nearly impervious and also not anodized, and aluminum doesn't exist in solid black and anodizing is moderately easy to scratch, so I was proven wrong. The slides are indeed carbon fiber.

Sal Santamaura
7-Sep-2007, 22:59
Thanks for confirming wood species. When you get access to a scale I'd be very interested to know exactly how much the holder weighs.

Captain_joe6
20-Sep-2007, 16:27
I finally went in to my new workplace today where we have a scale, and measured the holder. I was surprised. You can judge for yourselves:

Holder itself, with darkslides: 20.02 oz. / 1.25 lb. (567.56 g. / 0.56 kg.)
One single darkslide, by itself: 3.07 oz. / 0.19 lb. (87.03 g. / 0.08 kg.)
The whole thing, with its case: 23.23 oz. / 1.45 lb. (658.56 g. / .65 kg.)

I don't have any numbers on hand to compare this to, but like I said before, it feels about the same as 3 plastic fidelity 4x5 holders. For our viewers at home, I've just discovered that the weight of the holder without the case is almost excatly the same as a full package of Oreo cookies. The difference feels like less than an ounce. (Oreos net weight: 18 oz., plus a couple ounces of packaging makes them about even)

Hope this helps make some decions!

tim atherton
20-Sep-2007, 16:35
I just weighed a regular Fidelity holder (slightly older model) = circa 630g

and a Mido 8x10 (without clamshell and about 1/3 the thickness) = circa 330g

Captain_joe6
20-Sep-2007, 16:48
So, for those of us who don't speak metric, thats about 22 ounces for the Fidelity and a slim and slender 11.6 ounces for the Mido.

Sal Santamaura
20-Sep-2007, 18:03
Tim's 8x10 Fidelity must have metal dark slides. My 8x10 Liscos (same as Fidelity) weigh 20 0z.

My 8x10 Toyo holders weigh 24.5 oz.

Lotus answered my question a while back with a weight for its 8x10 holders of 18.7 oz.

Based on this, I probably shouldn't have any remorse (other than the likely price difference) for purchasing Lotus 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 holders. They're probably lighter than Chamonix 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 holders will be. Thanks for the scale work guys.

tim atherton
20-Sep-2007, 18:19
Tim's 8x10 Fidelity must have metal dark slides. My 8x10 Liscos (same as Fidelity) weigh 20 0z.

no - but the slides aren't the newer soft floppy plastic kind either - the harder plastic stuff that cracks...

Just weighed a Liso Regal holder 580g (which is 20.45 oz)

Actually I just ran through about four different versions of the lisco and fidelity holders I have of various vintages - they vary by a total 3 or 4 oz one way or the other - couldn't find the couple with metal slides - I'll see what those puppies weigh - they always "feel" heavier...

thanks god I've got 30 or so mido holders to cannibalise as they get banged up...

tim atherton
20-Sep-2007, 18:25
Okay - Fidelity with metal slides 653g whichis about 23oz (and good for cooking pizzas on...)

Sal Santamaura
4-Oct-2007, 08:33
Do you know how many light traps are in the darkslide end? I tried to ask the seller about them but doesn't seem to understand the question.

One is OK but two really should be standard as few of us really pop the darkslide back in at a perfect 90 degrees.

CP GoerzHugo just sent me two 5x7 holders for evaluation -- the ones Jack had been shipped by mistake. First impressions are very good and, with Hugo's permission, I removed six screws to open the end of one holder. There are indeed two light traps. Also, the material they're covered with does not appear prone to shedding like the felt used in other wood holders is.

More comments when I've had a chance to try them out.

Sal Santamaura
3-Nov-2007, 21:49
...More comments when I've had a chance to try them out.It's taken too long, but several weeks ago I did expose some 5x7 film and today (finally!) developed it. Nothing but good news to report:

Film depth (T-distance) is accurate. I shot a resolution chart with my 270mm G-Claron wide open. Sharpness was everything one could hope for.

A full frame exposed on Zone VI to even illumination revealed no edge reflections or flare. All the Chamonix edge blackening pays off.

I exposed two sheets to a "standard scene" in my backyard. Then I repositioned the camera so sunlight was aligned directly into the holder's dark slide slots and, on one side, removed the slide. I repeatedly inserted and removed that slide, sometimes squarely and other times at varying angles. There was no leakage of any kind; it's impossible to tell the negatives apart.

Conclusion: Chamonix holders are exquisite in appearance and function. Despite already owning a fair number of 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Lotus holders, I'm ordering a bunch more in that size from Chamonix. It will also be hard to resist purchasing some 5x7s. There goes next year's budget!

Turner Reich
3-Nov-2007, 23:11
Sal, what is the t-depth for the Chamonix 5x7 holder?

Sal Santamaura
4-Nov-2007, 08:59
Sal, what is the t-depth for the Chamonix 5x7 holder?Given the excellent wide-open results when shooting with my SV57, apparently right on the ANSI standard for 5x7, which is 0.228 inch.

Turner Reich
4-Nov-2007, 13:46
thanks, sounds very nice.