PDA

View Full Version : single weight papers?

Kirk Gittings
6-Sep-2007, 19:39
After taking a hiatus of a few years from HABS reports, I am back in them up to my eyeballs.

What single weight papers are available these days?

Alex Hawley
6-Sep-2007, 19:51
AFAIK, only Slavich from Russia. Freestyle carries it; grades 2,3, and 4. I've run through about 60 sheets, including some 11x14 SW. Its a decent paper.

N Dhananjay
6-Sep-2007, 22:13
The now departed Azo was. I believe the Lodima paper being manufactured by Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee also will be single weight. Cheers, DJ

Kirk Gittings
7-Sep-2007, 03:14
I'm afraid the Lodima Azo will end up being a bit late and a bit expensive for my needs!

Thanks Alex.

Doug Howk
7-Sep-2007, 04:38
I've only tried grades 2 & 3 of Slavich Unibrom, and am impressed with its tonal range. Did a test with couple of photographer friends asking them to chose between Slavich and AZO # 2 (newer), and they guessed wrong as to which was AZO.

Alex Hawley
7-Sep-2007, 17:53
I've only tried grades 2 & 3 of Slavich Unibrom, and am impressed with its tonal range. Did a test with couple of photographer friends asking them to chose between Slavich and AZO # 2 (newer), and they guessed wrong as to which was AZO.

Its a heck of a lot better than the last batch of Grade 2 Azo. I've been using it for both enlargements and contact prints.

David A. Goldfarb
7-Sep-2007, 18:01
I saw some very impressive prints on the Slavich paper at PMA in Las Vegas at the FS Distributing booth (the wholesale arm of Freestyle).

Daniel Grenier
8-Sep-2007, 09:06
`Problem`is, Slavich is offered in single weight (or double weight) in 11x14 & 8x10 sizes only. For larger sizes, it`s double weight only. A bit of a nuisance if contact printing 7x17 or larger for those of us partial to single weight.

Sal Santamaura
8-Sep-2007, 09:39
Dirk can supply you Fuji Rembrant:

http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=86&osCsid=b39e9436829f9492534e4973d80b2c84

A rather unique variable contrast product that used to be made in both "no filter" grades 2 and 3, now only 2; there still might be some stock left of the 3. Curve shapes were slightly different; when I tested them the grade 2 seemed better suited to contact printing LF negatives.

Ordering was painless and delivery quick.

Alex Hawley
8-Sep-2007, 11:48
`Problem`is, Slavich is offered in single weight (or double weight) in 11x14 & 8x10 sizes only. For larger sizes, it`s double weight only. A bit of a nuisance if contact printing 7x17 or larger for those of us partial to single weight.

That's true. But the ugly fact of life is that those of us who like single weight grow fewer in number every day. Single weight isn't "cool" these days, and double weight is easier to produce for the manufacturer.