PDA

View Full Version : Wisner camera springs

RichardRitter
6-Sep-2007, 06:56
I have seem an alarming number of Wisner cameras with broken springs. So you my want to think about having then replaced before starting a project or go on a trip.

Richard T Ritter
www.lg4mat.net
www.finefocusworkshops.com

alec4444
6-Sep-2007, 07:14
Thanks for the heads up, Richard! I have some more on the way (new..well, used...camera plus a reducing back). Is this something that we can order from you and install ourselves, or would it require mailing you the backs? Look forward to doing business with you again - you did a great job on my 11x14 Wisner!

Cheers!
--A

Dave Wooten
6-Sep-2007, 10:38
Richard do you have a solution for the back retention clips? The original ones do not "slide" far enough "in my not so humble opinion". You have to keep an eye on them or put a velcro safety strap etc.

Robert Brummitt
6-Sep-2007, 17:06
I have a broken spring on my graflock back now. I can't find anyone to repair it and of course Wisner doesn't respond to messages or calls.
It is a sad state of affairs.
:( :( :(

John Bowen
7-Sep-2007, 03:40
I have a broken spring on my graflock back now. I can't find anyone to repair it and of course Wisner doesn't respond to messages or calls.
It is a sad state of affairs.
:( :( :(

Robert,

If Richard Ritter can't repair it, then no one can.

RichardRitter
7-Sep-2007, 05:41
To replace the springs on a 4 x 5 back is $127 this includes a bail. If you don’t want a bail the cost is $127 and the back has to be modified to take the springs with a return on them. You are better off with a bail. The springs will last longer and loading and unloading of holders is such a dream and no worrier about the camera moving when loading the holder. See attached photos of bail.

As to the other size cameras since I keep generic springs on hand I can custom fit any size back. But you may also want to think about having a bail put on. By putting a bail on the spring tension can be made greater and gives better seating of the film holder in the back.

As to any other problems there are fixes and/ or adjustments that can be made. One I do is to put inserts in for the sliding lens lock and add a lock to it.

Richard T Ritter
www.lg4mat.net
www.finefocusworkshops.com

Robert Brummitt
7-Sep-2007, 14:43
That looks really neat but how will that work with my graflock back? I use a Horseman 6x7 roll back for my color work and 4x5 black and white at the same time.

Robert Brummitt
7-Sep-2007, 14:44
That looks really neat but how will that work with my graflock back? I use a Horseman 6x7 roll back for my color work and 4x5 black and white at the same time.
:) :) :)

RichardRitter
7-Sep-2007, 15:43
The bail will not work on Graflock backs. Your repair is only the springs. The springs on your back are of a different style.

Robert Brummitt
7-Sep-2007, 15:52
That's just my luck. I'm always operating on "diiferent" sort of springs. So how much for a repair?