PDA

View Full Version : Good Cable Releases

adonis_abril
4-Sep-2007, 10:50
Hi All,

I've gone through dozens of cable releases from cloth coverd to metal ones and none seem to last a while. It's starting to drain $$ with each replacement. I take my lenses on long backpacking trips and I usually wrap the cable around the lens - this screw in usually breaks or something else comes apart. I need a cable release that can wrap around the lens without breaking. What are my options?

Thanks,

Adonis

Alan Davenport
4-Sep-2007, 11:04
Not to put too fine a point on this, but it sounds like you are creating the problem by keeping the release attached to the lens when it's in the camera bag.

The options I can imagine include: 1. creating a safer environment in the bag, so nothing will press against the lens/cable (like a separate box for each lens to go in,) 2. removing the release from the lens when you stow things in the bag, or 3. continuing to buy replacement releases because there simply isn't a release made that is designed to deal with side forces on that tiny screw thread.

davidb
4-Sep-2007, 11:21
I use Minolta cable releases. I think they are really quite good.

I also remove them from the lens when I pack.

ericantonio
4-Sep-2007, 11:27
I use Minolta cable releases. I think they are really quite good.

I also remove them from the lens when I pack.

I have one of these and they are really good. They seem hard to find.

Michael Graves
4-Sep-2007, 11:42
Ebony. You can tie it in a knot and it will hang tough. It'll also fire the shutter while tied in the knot. Although I don't recommend that as a general practice. I just tried it once to see.

Aender Brepsom
4-Sep-2007, 12:30
I use the Hama Professional cable release on each of my lenses.

http://www.hama.de/portal/articleId*2832/picType*abb/action*2599?picURL=%2Fbilder%2F00005%2Fabb%2F00005309abb.jpg#picture

They permanently stay on the shutter as I do not like the fiddling you have to go through to attach them. I gently wrap them around the front element of the lens before putting them in the bag. I have never had a problem with this procedure and never broke any of these cable releases. For me, they are well worth the relatively high price.
I have 2 Ebony cable releases, but although I use Ebony field cameras, I prefer the Hama cable release and keep the Ebonys' only as a backup.

JPlomley
4-Sep-2007, 12:36
I use the Ebony releases but wrap the large black metal portion in Gafer's tape (except the plunger of course). Otherwise this part of the release will scratch lens barrels and boards (I leave them permanantly attached). I've used the Linhof as well. They are the smoothest, but the plastic casement worries me here in Canada when the temperture plunges to -40 degrees centigrade. I suspect the Linhofs will be too brittle.

Bob Salomon
4-Sep-2007, 13:05
Gepe cable releases. They are available in cloth, PVC, spiral steel and mesh steel coverings. Like any quality release they function even when tied in a knot, or even two knots. With a choice of no lock, Zeiss lock or "T" lock and lengths to 40".

adonis_abril
4-Sep-2007, 14:08
Thanks...I realize that but I work very dynamic lighting in the landscape. Every second counts in as fast as I can setup my camera. So time spent without me fiddling with finding/attaching a cable release to the lens is necessary.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but it sounds like you are creating the problem by keeping the release attached to the lens when it's in the camera bag.

The options I can imagine include: 1. creating a safer environment in the bag, so nothing will press against the lens/cable (like a separate box for each lens to go in,) 2. removing the release from the lens when you stow things in the bag, or 3. continuing to buy replacement releases because there simply isn't a release made that is designed to deal with side forces on that tiny screw thread.

davidb
4-Sep-2007, 17:27
So who just bought the Minolta cable on ebay?

naturephoto1
4-Sep-2007, 17:58
I prefer the Linhof Cable Releases. They are available from Badger Graphic.

Rich

Brian Ellis
4-Sep-2007, 18:46
I use Nikon cable releases, I like them because they're short (12" I think) and so don't get in the way. I leave them on the lens at all times, loosely wrapped around the lenses when stored in my camera bag. I don't remember one ever breaking.

Steve Hamley
4-Sep-2007, 18:53
I second Bob Salomon - Gepe of your favorite flavor/length/release. Or Linhof. I like Ebony, but the Gepes are better and some have shorter fittings at the lens, which I like.

Gepe also makes a short cable extension (about 3") which I attach to each lens versus a cable release. If you hike, this is a better solution than a cable with each lens. Both financially and functionally. Carry a spare but not 4-7 cable releases.

Cheers,

Steve

Atul Mohidekar
4-Sep-2007, 22:08
I have tried a bunch of different cable releases including Minolta, Prontor, Nikon, etc. I like the Minolta II & III releases because they are EXTREMELY smooth.

// Atul

PBrooks
4-Sep-2007, 22:12
Why don't you just get some extensions, keep them on the lens. That way the cable releases will be a breeze to put on in the field.
Just an idea!

Bob Salomon
5-Sep-2007, 04:16
I prefer the Linhof Cable Releases. They are available from Badger Graphic.

Rich

No, they are available from any camera store. We always have them, the Gepe and the Kaiser ones in stock for all of our dealers.

John Kasaian
6-Sep-2007, 14:16
AFAIK, not in Fresno, CA, Bob!

Bob Salomon
6-Sep-2007, 17:49
AFAIK, not in Fresno, CA, Bob!

Any dealer can order Linhof cable releases. Even those in Fresno. You can also get them from dealers who stock them in the Bay area.