PDA

View Full Version : Storing lenses

paulr
3-Sep-2007, 20:06
my l.f. lenses don't see a lot of use right now, but i have them stashed in a camera bag as if i'm using them all the time. inside the camera bag they have their caps on, are wrapped in lens wraps, and are sitting in ziplock bags (which are open, for ventilation).

is there a smarter way to do it, for the longterm health of these things that i don't ever want to have to buy again??

Capocheny
3-Sep-2007, 20:22
my l.f. lenses don't see a lot of use right now, but i have them stashed in a camera bag as if i'm using them all the time. inside the camera bag they have their caps on, are wrapped in lens wraps, and are sitting in ziplock bags (which are open, for ventilation).

is there a smarter way to do it, for the longterm health of these things that i don't ever want to have to buy again??

Paul,

I simply keep mine in Gnass cases... if you're not shooting for extended periods of time, just remember to pull them out every so often and fire them off at the different shutter speeds for a few minutes on each setting.

Lastly, don't store the lenses in an area where they will be exposed to extreme temperature fluctuations and dust. A packet of desilicant may also be a good idea for preventing the possibility of mould and mildew.

Cheers

Ole Tjugen
4-Sep-2007, 01:49
One thing to be aware of, if you have an old Angulon: Store it flat, not sitting on edge. Since the inner elements are only supported by the cement holding them to the outer cells, there may be a risk of "slippage" causing decentering and loss of sharpness.