PDA

View Full Version : What is it (weird shutter)?

big_ben_blue
3-Sep-2007, 09:58
No, I don't mean the iris mount; I mean that thing underneath it.
Looks like some sort of rudimentary shutter, but it's definitely not your average Compur, Compound, etc.... I can't find ANY markings on it other than a "US7", identifying the manufacturer. The lensboard would suggest that it came off a german tailboard camera (well, I bought it from a german seller for a mere 70Euro :D ). The shutter had been modified by its original owner to work similar to a Packard (bulb only); but judging by the various now empty openings, it must have offered more than just "Bulb" at one point. In any case, I am kinda fond of this style shutter as a Packard alternative, and would like to source one or two more of them, but without even knowing what they are called, it's a fruitless undertaking so far.

Chris

Jon Wilson
3-Sep-2007, 20:36
The front setup looks like an adjustable retaining flange. They go, when you can find them, for around $275. Is the back of the board have some sort of Thornton Type cloth shutter? Hope this helps. Jon
BTW, have you tried the Large Brass Lens yet?

Struan Gray
4-Sep-2007, 00:17
It's hard to tell for sure because there is so much gubbins in front of the shutter, but the size and the release attachment are similar to those found on a variety of European behind-the-lens shutters. Luc are the most commonly found, but Gitzo also made them and I have seen others rebranded with camera makers' names. The Luc ones are often missing a name and are only marked with a stylised pictogram of a cathedral's two towers (Munich or Dresden, I forget which).

They were designed to be mounted in front of the lens as well, and often have an attachment tube and set screws to allow them to be fixed to the front ring of a range of lenses. Like their US brethren the Packards, they usually had one 'instantaneous' speed, and B. Unlike the Packards, they were mechanical, not pneumatic.

A search on 'luc shutter' in ebay usually turns up one or two.

big_ben_blue
4-Sep-2007, 19:35
Thanks Jon and Struan.

Struan - I think you may be right; it could well be a Luc shutter (I have never seen one, so I can only guess here). My shutter does indeed have some sort of small pictogram on it, but it's almost completely drilled out. The 'instantaneous' speed setting is unfortunatelly gone on mine too, but it works well as 'Bulb' only. The universal iris in front of the shutter makes for a very versatile setup.

Jon - the front of the gizmo is indeed one of those universal lensmounts (much too small for your Petzval though). I had trouble identifying the part underneath it, which is a largish rudimentary shutter (Luc?). Definitely NOT a cloth Thornton (what you see in the picture are the metal blades of the shutter, not the blades of the iris mount).
I haven't had a chance to try your Petzval yet due to the usual culprits (lack of time, and lack of divine inspiration to come up with an good idea on how to mount it).

Cheers, Chris