PDA

View Full Version : Pyrocat HD stain defect

aporodagon
2-Sep-2007, 18:47
I just finished developing several sheets of HP5+ (8x10) in a JOBO expert drum using Pyrocat HD 2:2:100. Chemistry was well mixed. Pre soak was 3 minutes. On printing the negs I noticed some blotchy areas on the prints. A careful examination of the negs showed that these areas corresponded to defects in the negative stain (it doesn't look like its in the silver image). I'd like to recover these negs, so does anyone know how to remove the Pyrocat stain from the neg? With the stain gone the negs might print properly. Another option would be to bleach and re develop. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

John

sanking
2-Sep-2007, 19:16
I just finished developing several sheets of HP5+ (8x10) in a JOBO expert drum using Pyrocat HD 2:2:100. Chemistry was well mixed. Pre soak was 3 minutes. On printing the negs I noticed some blotchy areas on the prints. A careful examination of the negs showed that these areas corresponded to defects in the negative stain (it doesn't look like its in the silver image). I'd like to recover these negs, so does anyone know how to remove the Pyrocat stain from the neg? With the stain gone the negs might print properly. Another option would be to bleach and re develop. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

John

John,

I doubt very much that the blotchy areas on the print are caused by uneven stain on the emulsion side of the negative. The most likely reason for the blotchy areas is that the anti-halation backing of the film was incompletely removed during processing as the base of the film does not allow good circulation of the processing solutions around the back of the film. This is rather common when using staining developers in Jobo or in BTZS types. I suggest you re-fix the negatives outside of the expert drum in a fresh solution of fixer, then re-wash.

Sandy King

aporodagon
2-Sep-2007, 23:08
Thanks Sandy. I'll give that a try.
John

Andrew O'Neill
23-Sep-2007, 17:34
So, did it work?