PDA

View Full Version : Wollensak nostalgia

Robert A. Zeichner
2-Sep-2007, 07:17
I've always been intrigued with advertizing slogans of the past. This one reminds me of the old Packard slogan "Ask the man who owns one" Difference here is that the slogan is prominently displayed on the product, in this case an original lens cap from a 12" Velostigmat.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
2-Sep-2007, 07:39
I have often wondered what exactly Wolly's slogan means: It does seem to imply that there is some sort of negative stigma surrounding the brand, and that others--not users--are making judgements about the quality of Wolly's lenses. Or perhaps I am reading too far into it.

In any case I do like their lenscaps.

Brian Ellis
2-Sep-2007, 08:33
Thanks for the picture. I've always liked the old lens caps, they seem to harken back to a day when manufacturers cared about every aspect of their products and didn't just stick the cheapest plastic thing they could find on them. The old Schneider leather caps with the blue velvet lining are almost works of art.

jnantz
2-Sep-2007, 08:35
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/wollensakcate/p2.html

it sort of talks about what the slogan means ... ( 3/4 way down the page )

thanks seth!

Uusilehto
2-Sep-2007, 08:37
I have often wondered what exactly Wolly's slogan means: It does seem to imply that there is some sort of negative stigma surrounding the brand, and that others--not users--are making judgements about the quality of Wolly's lenses. Or perhaps I am reading too far into it.

I always thought it was as if Wollensak was letting everyone know that they didn't need reviews/criticism and that users knew what they were buying (the best).
I can't quite put it into words but I hope the above makes sense.

EDIT: Ok, looks like Seth found the meaning behind the slogan. Just as I thought.