PDA

View Full Version : Do blondes really have more fun? (Camera thread!)

Jack Flesher
31-Aug-2007, 14:26
Okay, having some fun for the weekend here....

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_wrap.jpg

Look familiar?

:D :D :D

Nick_3536
31-Aug-2007, 14:36
Luckily I don't see a hand sticking out of a corner :p

Jack Flesher
31-Aug-2007, 15:53
For anybody interested, here's what the White Maple or "Blond" version of the Chamonix looks like.

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_side_view.jpg

Jack Flesher
31-Aug-2007, 15:57
Two more views:

Note the way the back attaches, very clean and clever (and yes, it is graflock compatible):

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_altview_1.jpg

Here's a look at the lensboard retainers, simple and neat:

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_board_latch.jpg

Michael T. Murphy
31-Aug-2007, 17:00
Jack is infatuated with a sexy new blonde! :D :D

So that is why he is selling all of his other equipment. Affairs are expensive, in more ways than one. I wonder if his wife knows? :confused:

(In 1998 my wife asked about my 2 new Mamiya 7 II bodies and 3 lenses: "Was it less than $1,000?" I said no, and we left it at that.

Two years later we were getting on an airplane and the stewardess wanted me to check my camera bag. I said "There is $7,000 worth of camera equipment in there ...." Oops, in front of the wife, never lived that one down! Big mistake. :) )

Have fun Jack!

Best,
Michael

Scott Squires
31-Aug-2007, 17:01
Very nice looking camera! Let us know your thoughts on how it works.

Scott

www.scottsquires.com

Paul Metcalf
31-Aug-2007, 17:08
What are the two thumbwheels on the bottom of the back for?

davidb
31-Aug-2007, 17:17
What boards does it use?

Jack Flesher
31-Aug-2007, 17:24
What are the two thumbwheels on the bottom of the back for?

That's how the graflock backs lock down -- same style lock as the lensboard ;)

Jack Flesher
31-Aug-2007, 17:25
What boards does it use?

Linhof Technika (Wista) style. (Which I already have about a dozen spares in, which is why I'm selling some ;) )

Jack Flesher
31-Aug-2007, 17:30
Very nice looking camera! Let us know your thoughts on how it works.

Will do Scott. I don't want to repeat all the info in the other Chamionix threads, but I can tell you that it is essentially a copy of a Phillips which I used to own -- and used profusely. Surprisingly, this camera seems to be built every bit as well as Dick's, yet has incorporated a few simple refinements -- I am very impressed with the quality and functional improvements. Like the original, the design of each standard has a few peculiarities you need to learn to work with, but beyond that, this appears to be one sweet little camera for the money.

BTW, this one tips my postage scale at 3 pounds, 1 ounce and is quite rigid.

Cheers,

audioexcels
31-Aug-2007, 19:52
Will do Scott. I don't want to repeat all the info in the other Chamionix threads, but I can tell you that it is essentially a copy of a Phillips which I used to own -- and used profusely. Surprisingly, this camera seems to be built every bit as well as Dick's, yet has incorporated a few simple refinements -- I am very impressed with the quality and functional improvements. Like the original, the design of each standard has a few peculiarities you need to learn to work with, but beyond that, this appears to be one sweet little camera for the money.

BTW, this one tips my postage scale at 3 pounds, 1 ounce and is quite rigid.

Cheers,

That IS sweeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3lbs 1oz...dang...

How much tilting can you get out of it? I like the idea of the threads to mount the front standard or are they for tripod mounting????

Gives me ideas on how I can modify my front standard to have this kind of leverage for swing...

erie patsellis
31-Aug-2007, 20:10
What I find interesting (and will be exploring this concept over the next few weekends) is that they use 2 linear bearings and a leadscrew for focusing with a rear facing knob...I'm thinking something along the lines of a pair of heavy duty full extension ball bearing drawer slides and some 1/4-20 all thread, all of which I have sitting in my junk bin (shelves really, lots of them)

erie

Jack Flesher
31-Aug-2007, 23:14
That IS sweeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~~~
How much tilting can you get out of it? I like the idea of the threads to mount the front standard or are they for tripod mounting????

Yes it is :)

Axial front tilt is limited only by bellows; base rear tilt is 90 degrees forward and guessing about 20 back -- I can measure it if you need more precise. Those holes on the bed are for different positioning of the front standard for different amounts of total extension -- just like a Phillips. The base has a beefy plate that has two 3/8 tripod mounting holes.

Cheers,

Sal Santamaura
31-Aug-2007, 23:26
...this camera seems to be built every bit as well as Dick's, yet has incorporated a few simple refinements...One of those refinements is the sliding guides at the bottom of the front standard to enable rise/fall without inducing tilt (when they're engaged in the upright supports). They do what the turnbutton does on a Phillips, only better; they constrain both forward and back tilt.

Jack, do the inner screws on those guides -- the ones you grasp to slide the guides -- ride in slots underneath the standard? If not, how are the guides constrained so they don't pivot around the other screws when slid towards center, i.e. disengaged from the upright supports' slots? Thanks in advance.

Nick_3536
1-Sep-2007, 03:34
I'm curious what the bigger models are like? Just scaled up or other differences?

Rautry
1-Sep-2007, 03:58
What kind of wood is it made from?

alec4444
1-Sep-2007, 04:49
I'm curious what the bigger models are like? Just scaled up or other differences?

Do a search on eBay for Chamonix. They're actually quite different. Bummer that they don't show how those bigger ones fold in the photos.

The 20x24 is quite impressive!

--A

Jack Flesher
1-Sep-2007, 08:54
Jack, do the inner screws on those guides -- the ones you grasp to slide the guides -- ride in slots underneath the standard? If not, how are the guides constrained so they don't pivot around the other screws when slid towards center, i.e. disengaged from the upright supports' slots? Thanks in advance.

Hi Sal:

Obviously there is some kind of a slot and key pin because they don't rotate, but it's not easily visible as assembled, so I cannot say for sure how they did it.

FWIW, they use a similar sliding lock for the rear base tilt stops instead of the lever system Dick used.

Jack

Jack Flesher
1-Sep-2007, 08:58

Only the 4x5 is hinged like shown in my shots here. The larger cameras use a conventional hinged arm system, similar in size and design to Canham's rear hinge. The base is still Phillips style with lead screw though.

Cheers,

Jack Flesher
1-Sep-2007, 09:00
What kind of wood is it made from?

Maple. The dark version shown in the other thread is walnut. Apparently, the maple version is a few ounces lighter in weight than the walnut version, otherwise they are identical.

Cheers,

Ash
1-Sep-2007, 09:40
Anybody taken a photo with their Chamonix yet??

Nick_3536
1-Sep-2007, 09:54
Only the 4x5 is hinged like shown in my shots here. The larger cameras use a conventional hinged arm system, similar in size and design to Canham's rear hinge. The base is still Phillips style with lead screw though.

Cheers,

I notice on the Ebay site they are now thinking of an 11x14. I think they're trying to tempt me :D

Darryl Baird
1-Sep-2007, 10:17

LOL, what would be the point of that? ... it might spoil the aura and adulation of fine craftsmanship.

What I like about this forum is the (somewhat extreme) contrasts and odd parallel topics happening simultaneously. Consider this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=269897&postcount=52) versus the one here.

It's all good, and just a wee bit ironic. :D

Ron Bose
1-Sep-2007, 10:44
I think it's refreshing to be appreciating sub-thousand dollar cameras when so many adore v.expensive Linhof Technikas, Ebony's and Arca Swiss monorails ....

Jack Flesher
1-Sep-2007, 10:52

OMG!!! I just tried and it didn't work!

(kidding of course) :D,

Hugo Zhang
1-Sep-2007, 11:22
Ash,

You can see some pictures taken with the Chamonix 45N cameras in this thread...

http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=441511&pagenumber=1

Jack Flesher
1-Sep-2007, 12:37
Here are some more images and details:

Here is the camera with max rear tilt, which I measured at 30 degrees. Note the area in red are little holes as a reference scale spaced about every 5 degrees -- again, a clever little detail:

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_backtilt.jpg
~~~

Here is a view showing maximum rear swing, also about 30 degrees. Scale circled in red is to enable precise zeroing of rear standard:

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_back_swing.jpg
~~~

Here is the camera at minumum compression. I measure this as 45mm Film to Flange. Again, you can see the tilt reference holes, the 90 degree one being slightly larger in diameter:

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_min_ext.jpg

Jack Flesher
1-Sep-2007, 12:48
Here is a shot of the base. Note the wheels in red tighten the posts separately from the rear standard lock wheels, allowing you to adjust their position fore or aft for maximum or minimum extension and/or more convenient postioning of the rear standard lock screws for normal use. Also note the base plate -- an extra layer of aluminum with two 3/8 tripod threaded holes. I have an old RRS plate for an Ebony 45 SU mounted, and it fits perfectly:

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_base.jpg
~~~

Here is a view showing the rear tilt stops as well as the grooves on the base of the front standard to help keep it in position when locked down.

Also note the thin aluminum GG protector. (Sidebar note: By mistake they sent me a couple of 5x7 film holders. I only got to inspect them, but that thin, sturdy sheet aluminum on the GG protector is the same material they use for their darkslides in their holders. The 5x7's I saw were very well built and very light -- probably the best film-holder I've ever seen, period. I'd say even better built than the Lotus 8x10 holders I had...):

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_folded_rear.jpg
~~~

Final shot showing the bed. Note the scale for aligning front swing (1), the 5 location holes for mounting the front standard (2), and the shift zero marks (3):

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_bed.jpg

Cheers,

archivue
1-Sep-2007, 14:03
"Note the way the back attaches, very clean and clever (and yes, it is graflock compatible): "

same as the toyo 810M !!!

Sal Santamaura
1-Sep-2007, 16:50
...Also note the thin aluminum GG protector. (Sidebar note: By mistake they sent me a couple of 5x7 film holders. I only got to inspect them, but that thin, sturdy sheet aluminum on the GG protector is the same material they use for their darkslides in their holders...That's not aluminum, it's carbon fiber composite!

Dave Wooten
1-Sep-2007, 16:54
I notice on the Ebay site they are now thinking of an 11x14. I think they're trying to tempt me :D

Nick you can also shoot 11 x 14 on a 14 x 17 camera:D

Ben R
1-Sep-2007, 17:05
I'm still incredibly jelous of those spirit levels!

Capocheny
1-Sep-2007, 17:08
(Sidebar note: By mistake they sent me a couple of 5x7 film holders. I only got to inspect them, but that thin, sturdy sheet aluminum on the GG protector is the same material they use for their darkslides in their holders. The 5x7's I saw were very well built and very light -- probably the best film-holder I've ever seen, period. I'd say even better built than the Lotus 8x10 holders I had...):

Jack,

What a beautiful camera and I especially enjoyed hearing your thought on the 5x7 film holders. It bolds well for the future of the 5x7 format now that there's another manufacturer in the wings. :)

Hmm... blonde and brunette film holders!

Any ideas as to what they'll be asking for them?

Cheers

Nick_3536
1-Sep-2007, 17:21
Nick you can also shoot 11 x 14 on a 14 x 17 camera:D

And it's less then 7kgs. I've got 8x10s heavier :D But it's too square for me :o 11x14 is my dream. I wouldn't mind a 7x11 reducing back. Wonder if anybody ever made a 5.5x14 camera? :D

Utomo Tjipto
1-Sep-2007, 18:30
Hi Jack,

Re the Chamonix front standard. How do you centered the rise? Meaning, when you do front tilts, how do you keep the same level of height? Is there a detent to keep the the rise? Or just half tighten the knobs?

Regards,
Utomo

Jack Flesher
1-Sep-2007, 19:23
That's not aluminum, it's carbon fiber composite!

Mine is definitely NOT carbon fiber, but perhaps others are -- this one is anodized aluminum.

Best,

Jack Flesher
1-Sep-2007, 19:28
Hmm... blonde and brunette film holders!

Any ideas as to what they'll be asking for them?

Cheers

I think around $125. The pair was in a really nice padded, two-slot bi-fold case.

Jack Flesher
1-Sep-2007, 19:31
Hi Jack,

Re the Chamonix front standard. How do you centered the rise? Meaning, when you do front tilts, how do you keep the same level of height? Is there a detent to keep the the rise? Or just half tighten the knobs?

Regards,
Utomo

It's not the best shot of them, but if you look at this picture, you can see some marks on the front standard frame, and others in the wood on the front standard itself -- line those up and you're zeroed :)

It is a continuous slot, so you use the half tighten for height, then you can still tilt; full tight to lock it down.

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_board_latch.jpg

nelson_chan
1-Sep-2007, 19:45
Hey Jack,

I remembered you sold your Phillips 4x5 a while back. I shoot with a Phillips Compact II and love these camera designs and am on the list for a walnut Chamonix now. For that price, it seems you can't go wrong. Since the Chamonix is somewhat of a carbon copy on design, what are your thoughts comparing these two cameras? Thanks.

Jack Flesher
1-Sep-2007, 19:58
Hey Jack,

I remembered you sold your Phillips 4x5 a while back. I shoot with a Phillips Compact II and love these camera designs and am on the list for a walnut Chamonix now. For that price, it seems you can't go wrong. Since the Chamonix is somewhat of a carbon copy on design, what are your thoughts comparing these two cameras? Thanks.

Hi Nelson:

I made the following comment back on post #11, and showed some of the refinements in the photos I posted. Beyond those, I don't have much to add. From 11:

"I can tell you that it is essentially a copy of a Phillips which I used to own -- and used profusely. Surprisingly, this camera seems to be built every bit as well as Dick's, yet has incorporated a few simple refinements -- I am very impressed with the quality and functional improvements. Like the original, the design of each standard has a few peculiarities you need to learn to work with, but beyond that, this appears to be one sweet little camera for the money.

BTW, this one tips my postage scale at 3 pounds, 1 ounce and is quite rigid."

Cheers,

Songyun
1-Sep-2007, 20:45
I took the camera to Utah in June, shot about 100 sheets.

Frank Petronio
1-Sep-2007, 23:24
So Jack, is this the initial infatuation period before the full fledged heat of passion hits? Should we start a pool to bet how long this particular affair lasts?

I do know that Arca feels jilted and Ebony has run off with another man. But they're history, just like all the others...

$20 that Chamonix is on the streets by Christmas. Jack's a hard man and he's run through a lot of 'em... They've all been pretty but never quite good enough.

Jack Flesher
2-Sep-2007, 06:43
So Jack, is this the initial infatuation period before the full fledged heat of passion hits? Should we start a pool to bet how long this particular affair lasts?

I do know that Arca feels jilted and Ebony has run off with another man. But they're history, just like all the others...

$20 that Chamonix is on the streets by Christmas. Jack's a hard man and he's run through a lot of 'em... They've all been pretty but never quite good enough.

That's a fair comment Frank, and I probably deserve it. However, you of all people know I went from the relatively expensive Phillips to the more expensive Acra for the added movements, and then was offered an almost equally expensive Ebony at a reasonable price... I always knew I could not keep both the Ebony and the Arca, so one had to go. In the end, the Arca and Ebony were very different yet each almost perfection in their own right (and more than "good enough" fo me), but the little Phillips was the one that did everything I needed (good enough) and at a lot lower weight than the others. So when the Cham opportunity arrived, it deserved a look; a sub $1000 camera that weighs in at a hair over 3 pounds (less than half the weight of the Ebony or the Arca) and was truly rigid, was a hard temptation for me to pass up. One thing I am not is a brand snob, but neither am I rich enough to own all three -- and given how great the Arca and the Ebony are, if I were rich I would definitely still own all three! So in a way, I've come full circle back to a camera that meets all my needs while putting a *lot* of cash back in my pocket, cash I can use right now for other purposes...

And speaking of cash, I'll take your bet! $20 it is, and I've marked a reminder in my calendar for Christmas 2007. If I still have my Cham, I post a pic of it with a newspaper or Christmas tree, and you send me $20; if not, I send you $20.

Cheers!

Greg Lockrey
2-Sep-2007, 09:26
And speaking of cash, I'll take your bet! $20 it is, and I've marked a reminder in my calendar for Christmas 2007. If I still have my Cham, I post a pic of it with a newspaper or Christmas tree, and you send me $20; if not, I send you $20.

Cheers!

:) I'm so poor, that would be enough incentive for me to hold on to it till the 26th. :D :D :D

Amund BLix Aaeng
2-Sep-2007, 09:58
Mmmm, it`s nice as a blonde too :)

Amund BLix Aaeng
2-Sep-2007, 10:06

Here`s a couple:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1086/1267276295_d7dceaaf27_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1381/1248798121_6ce3af7c73_o.jpg

Ash
2-Sep-2007, 10:17
Amund you're a skater! Cool!

By the looks of the board (cutaway Gravity, so about 40"+), you're a longboarder like me? :)

Songyun
2-Sep-2007, 10:20
Desert and beach are not a good place for this camera, although it is much easier to clean the camera than chean the carbon fiber tripod.

Jack Flesher
2-Sep-2007, 10:25
Mmmm, it`s nice as a blonde too :)

And your brunette aint too shabby either :D

Cheers,

David Karp
2-Sep-2007, 10:46
Here`s a couple[/IMG]

Love that train shot.

Amund BLix Aaeng
2-Sep-2007, 10:46
Amund you're a skater! Cool!

By the looks of the board (cutaway Gravity, so about 40"+), you're a longboarder like me? :)

It`s a 47" Hyper Carve :)

Actually, I started two weeks ago at age 34! A bit crazy maybe, but I`m having so much fun with this. I love the challenge of learning something new and really difficult. :)

David Karp
2-Sep-2007, 10:49
Desert and beach are not a good place for this camera, although it is much easier to clean the camera than chean the carbon fiber tripod.

I am curious what you mean by this? Are you referring to the typical problems with any view camera, dealing with salt spray and sand? Or is it something else? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Ash
2-Sep-2007, 12:21
Amund,

Go to http://www.lushlongboards.com/forum

They can point you in the direction of European forums (that's the UK site for one manufacturer over here).

You may also find this useful http://www.lushlongboards.com/index.php?p=shop&cPath=0_223

Have fun with it - I'm 20 and I've been doing it for over 2 years now, but there are people older and younger than you who love ripping up the pavement :)

Sam
2-Sep-2007, 14:10
I wish there were more available, I understand there is a six month wait.

Songyun
2-Sep-2007, 15:31
I am curious what you mean by this? Are you referring to the typical problems with any view camera, dealing with salt spray and sand? Or is it something else? I would appreciate your thoughts.

The bed is made of Carbon Fiber, it is more vulnerable to the sands than aluminum. My experience in Utah is OK, I use a dustoff every night to blow the sands away.

Jordan
2-Sep-2007, 15:33
Cool, there other people who skateboard and use big cameras! These Chamonix cameras look so damn awesome I seriously may have to put my self on the waiting list for the 8x10. Anyone want to see if a discounted price for a bulk 8x10 order may be available????? This bulk order/discount thing could be pretty cool.

Jack Flesher
2-Sep-2007, 16:20
Let me try and clarify the "carbon-fiber" parts on this camera...

As far as I can tell, the main bed and the extension bed are a composite sandwich, with aluminum skins and composite core of some type. (I say the skins are aluminum because they are totally smooth without any visible weave and sound like aluminum when tapped. However I have not gouged into it to confirm there is aluminum under a hard anodizing...) This is also not necessarily a carbon fiber core -- all I can tell is it is some kind of resin core. Could be thermal resin filled aluminum honey-comb -- just can't tell without cutting into it. (No matter anyway since it is uber-lightweight and uber-rigid as is, so no need to make it any differently.)

The main bed has thin, sheet-aluminum skins top and bottom with resin-exposed edges, while the extension bed appears to be skinned on the top, bottom and long sides, but not the ends -- and could even be a resin-filled piece of rectangular aluminum tubing. Again, no matter which because it is light and strong as is. The only questionable piece for me is the tripod base plate which appears to be aluminum, but could be another piece of composite sandwich. If a sandwich, then I'm even more impressed as it probably shaved an ounce off the camera over solid aluminum!

The rear standard sides and base rails and all front standard pieces all appear to be aluminum. And the GG protector is thin, sheet aluminum. The actual tracks the extension bed rides on are screwed to the extension bed sides and appear to be made of stainless steel.

So I believe there is little more to worry about in sandy or gritty environs than any normal view camera, since all the friction mating surfaces are either the stainless steel racks against each other, or anodized aluminum surfaces against another anodized aluminum surface. Even the front standard wooden frame has aluminum inserts where it rides against the frame, so there aren't even any aluminum-on-wood contact points on this camera...

Hope this helps clarify,

Frank Petronio
2-Sep-2007, 17:22
OK Jack, we're on for $20 and I bet you'll be onto a Linhof or a Toho or something else by Dec 25, 2007.

And yeah I wish I had a Gravity longboard too.

Jack Flesher
2-Sep-2007, 17:46
OK Jack, we're on for $20 and I bet you'll be onto a Linhof or a Toho or something else by Dec 25, 2007.

The bet is that I'll still own the Chamonix by then, not that I won't own anything else... I'd say there's a good chance I will own another 4x5 by then, but I'll bet you $80 it won't be a Toho or a Linhof! (Smart money says it will be another Arca.) :D

Cheers,

PS: And the day you get a longboard, I'll buy one too -- then we can post photos of our respective ER visits!

:D,

nelson_chan
2-Sep-2007, 18:28
These cameras have been stirring up a storm on this forum lately. The $700 price tag of the 4x5 is hard to beat to even try the camera out. One question I have is, why is it that the 4x5's value is so enticing while the 8x10 is running about the same as something like the Shen-Hao or even the Canham JMC?

Don Hutton
2-Sep-2007, 18:28
Dudes - the only cool longboards don't have wheels....

davidb
2-Sep-2007, 19:10
So back to the camera, dudes.

Do you think this camera can handle a 240mm in a Copal 3 shutter?

Also, how much is the 5x7?

Jack Flesher
2-Sep-2007, 19:36
Dudes - the only cool longboards don't have wheels....

Sooooooooooooo true!

Songyun
2-Sep-2007, 20:51

I think it is fine, I don't have a 240 in Copal 3, but I know someone who had a 210mm Heliar works fine on this camera.

Jack Flesher
2-Sep-2007, 23:07
I need to correct my earlier posts about what is and isn't carbon fiber on this camera.

Turns out Sal is correct, and all the sheets I was calling thin aluminum are in fact carbon fiber. I got an email confirming this and frankly couldn't believe it since my GG protector rings like aluminum when struck, as did the skins on the base. But I just went out to give a small scratch test to the GG protector and it is clearly not anodized aluminum -- in fact it is so hard a scratch awl hardly marks it.

Moreover, the email confirmed that the darkslides on the holders are the same carbon fiber material -- my apologies Sal!

So... The base and extension are all CF. The tripod mounting plate is probably also CF. However it does appear the standard pieces are aluminum as I originally indicated.

My appologies for posting the incorrect data in the first place and for any confusion I have caused.

FWIW, I wish Gitzo used this material for their tripod legs -- it is really rigid and has a seriously hard finish!

Cheers,

Songyun
2-Sep-2007, 23:43
So, you do need pay more attention when used in desert or on the beach.

I need to correct my earlier posts about what is and isn't carbon fiber on this camera.

Turns out Sal is correct, and all the sheets I was calling thin aluminum are in fact carbon fiber. I got an email confirming this and frankly couldn't believe it since my GG protector rings like aluminum when struck, as did the skins on the base. But I just went out to give a small scratch test to the GG protector and it is clearly not anodized aluminum -- in fact it is so hard a scratch awl hardly marks it.

Moreover, the email confirmed that the darkslides on the holders are the same carbon fiber material -- my apologies Sal!

So... The base and extension are all CF. The tripod mounting plate is probably also CF. However it does appear the standard pieces are aluminum as I originally indicated.

My appologies for posting the incorrect data in the first place and for any confusion I have caused.

FWIW, I wish Gitzo used this material for their tripod legs -- it is really rigid and has a seriously hard finish!

Cheers,

Amund BLix Aaeng
3-Sep-2007, 03:16

I can focus my 305mm Ilex Paragon in a #4 Ilex to 60 inches, so a 240mm shouldn`t be a problem at all.

Jack Flesher
3-Sep-2007, 07:10

Hi Songyun:

Actually, I still do not think so... The surface of this material is very hard and I suspect even better suited to sand and salt than hard-anodized aluminum OR wood. Plus it is incredibly easy to disassemble for cleaning.

Cheers,

Songyun
3-Sep-2007, 08:19
Hi Songyun:

Actually, I still do not think so... The surface of this material is very hard and I suspect even better suited to sand and salt than hard-anodized aluminum OR wood. Plus it is incredibly easy to disassemble for cleaning.

Cheers,

Yes, it is easy to clean.

Chamonix 045N1 in desert

jetcode
3-Sep-2007, 08:48
I'm still incredibly jelous of those spirit levels!

someone finally put it all together, the bed scales are great too

David Karp
3-Sep-2007, 08:58
Thanks to Jack and Amund. All of their photos (in this and the Brown Truck thread) speak volumes. Any (all) camera manufacturers would do well to provide such complete sets of photos that demonstrate the features and operation of their cameras.

jetcode
3-Sep-2007, 09:00

or - use it 'till it dies a glorious death and get another one

Jack Flesher
3-Sep-2007, 09:06
or - use it 'till it dies a glorious death and get another one

Exactly. I cringed every time I set my $4500 Arca up at Point Lobos, wind blowing sand and salt all over it. By cost-comparison, this camera is almost disposable...

Jack Flesher
3-Sep-2007, 09:10
Thanks to Jack and Amund. All of their photos (in this and the Brown Truck thread) speak volumes. Any (all) camera manufacturers would do well to provide such complete sets of photos that demonstrate the features and operation of their cameras.

My pleasure David. I need to thank Amund too -- if not for his thread, I would not have ordered mine...

Oh, and FWIW, I am so impressed with the construction quality of the 5x7 holders I saw, I just put an order in for a set of matching 4x5 holders. And I shoot mostly readyloads(!)

:D,

Songyun
3-Sep-2007, 09:12
Jack have you tried 58 xl on this camera? I tried a 65 with almost no movements.

Sal Santamaura
3-Sep-2007, 09:34
...all the sheets I was calling thin aluminum are in fact carbon fiber...Moreover...the darkslides on the holders are the same carbon fiber material -- my apologies Sal...No apologies necessary Jack. I had a feeling you'd be contacted by Chamonix to correct things. The composite in these cameras seems to be quite good, and I hope it'll see even more use in the 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 version as well as in some unique accessories.

Jack Flesher
3-Sep-2007, 10:51
Jack have you tried 58 xl on this camera? I tried a 65 with almost no movements.

The shortest lens I currently own is a 65. So here are a few more shots to answer as many questions about extension and lenses as I can.

First is a shot with my 65 focused at infinity. From zero, I can get 8mm rise before the bellows locks up. However, I use drop-drilled boards, so using a center-drilled board, one could get an extra 6mm rise (but lose it on fall):

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_65_maxrise.jpg
~~~

Now here is a shot of my 305mm G-Claron at maximum extension and maximum rise. In this configuration, my 305 focuses to just under 2 meters(!) Moreover, the camera remains *exceptionally* rigid in this configuration! (Also note that there is enough remaining bellows I could conceivably get about 25mm of additional extension by using the combined indirect movements of rear base and front axial tilts.)

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Cham_305_maxextrise.jpg

The only lens I own in a Copal 3 is off being repaired, so I cannot test rigidity with it at full extension. However, as rigid as the above set-up is, I can state with a high amount of confidence that a 240 in a Copal 3 is not going to be an issue for this camera.

PS: The front standard's bubble is actually a slip-in type that fits in a hot-shoe bracket mounted to the camera -- so you do have an accessory attachment point on the Chamonix. Note that even being that type, the front and rear bubble levels actually agree... Pretty cool :)

Cheers,

Songyun
3-Sep-2007, 12:06
Jack, if you use the 4th hole for the 58xl, will the bed shows up in your picuture?

You can expect some accessories coming up maybe later this year or next year.
Bag bellow, universal bellow, and a few more... and don't toss the carbon fiber cover away, this can be used as a shade with a clip.

Jack Flesher
3-Sep-2007, 12:11
Jack, if you use the 4th hole for the 58xl, will the bed shows up in your picuture?

You can expect some accessories coming up maybe later this year or next year.
Bag bellow, universal bellow, and a few more... and don't toss the carbon fiber cover away, this can be used as a shade with a clip.

I don't know, as I don't own a 58 :)

As for the GG cover, I kept my Ebony shade clip expressly for that purpose :D

Songyun
3-Sep-2007, 12:18
I remember that you showed me a photo in Zion using 58xl.

roteague
3-Sep-2007, 12:25
I've never been interested in wood field cameras before, but the Chamionix is making me rethink that position. I do prefer the walnut one however, but this is a sweet looking camera.

Jack Flesher
3-Sep-2007, 13:29
I remember that you showed me a photo in Zion using 58xl.

I used to own one, don't any longer and have the 65 instead -- sorry.

Michael Dymersky
3-Sep-2007, 15:38
Jack the bellows is changeable?

Songyun
3-Sep-2007, 16:02
Jack the bellows is changeable?

Yes, bag bellow and universal bellow will be available late this year or next year.

D. Bryant
3-Sep-2007, 16:39
Yes, bag bellow and universal bellow will be available late this year or next year.
Can we get those in yellow? :)

Don Bryant

Darryl Baird
3-Sep-2007, 18:10
That might be more interesting that I first thought, maybe a gray bellows with a dark burgundy wood finish.. by an aniline dye to match Bordeaux wine! I think that would be lovely. I think some of the colored Canhams and the Razzle-Roid conversions are stunning too. I'm going to get a medium format camera reconditioned with red leather from Juergen Kreckel (sp?).

A fashion trend? Nah...

Can we get those in yellow? :)

Don Bryant

Frank Petronio
3-Sep-2007, 19:36
What is the "best buying" informaton/advice?

I think I am losing my $20...

Jack Flesher
3-Sep-2007, 21:22
I've already spent your $20...

naturephoto1
4-Sep-2007, 18:07
Looks like a really nice solid lightweight camera. Had I not purchased my Toho Shimo FC-45X in December, I may have considered purchasing one though it is about 6 oz heavier than the Toho in my configuration.

Rich

Frank Petronio
4-Sep-2007, 18:20
I haven't been paying attention to Chamionix's before because I thought they were ULF, nor did I read much of the gossip except for a brief catch but I never got through the threads or figured out who did what to who...

But I count Kerry as a friend and greatly respect Dick Phillips as a genius, so I don't want to do anything that is against them.

So is buying one of these "against" them in any way? Because as nice as this camera seems, I won't.

And if it is OK and guilt-free... then how the heck do you buy one? Where are they in stock or what is the most reliable way?

TBrownlee
4-Sep-2007, 21:05
This is the first LF camera I have seen that uses linear bearings to guide the lens standard on the bed. I bet the focus movement is silky smooth!

Jack Flesher
4-Sep-2007, 21:37
I bet the focus movement is silky smooth!

Indeed it is -- for the entire length of its travel.

One other comment on the lead screw -- the pitch is 12mm per full turn. The focus knob conveniently has 6 holes in it, so with the spaces between the holes it is easy to envision a 12-hour clock face on it, each position representing exactly 1mm of bed travel. Very convenient for making DoF measurements by feel, without even pulling your head from the GG :)

Cheers,

PBrooks
4-Sep-2007, 22:02
This is the first LF camera I have seen that uses linear bearings to guide the lens standard on the bed. I bet the focus movement is silky smooth!

Silk is not the word more like hot knife through butter.

PBrooks
4-Sep-2007, 22:06
Ok, Jack you really got me upset now. I am drolling over that carbon fiber ground glass
cover. Hugo, if your out there how can I get one of these for the 14x17
Phillip

Clint Hill
4-Sep-2007, 22:13
I asked Hugo to place my name on the list for a 4x5 white maple last weekend. He was very nice and answered all my questions very promptly. I can't wait to receive it!

Hugo Zhang
5-Sep-2007, 14:26
"Hugo, if your out there how can I get one of these for the 14x17
Phillip"

Phillip,

Only 45N comes with the GG protector. I can ask the factory to make a 14x17 protector for you. But I don't know how you attach it to your GG. We may have to ship your rear standard back. Hass is on his way to Tibet for some shooting and I will ask him when he gets back to the factory.

Don't forget you promised to sell me one of your 14x17 contact prints. :) I am waiting.

Hugo

GSX4
6-Sep-2007, 08:45
What is the wait time to get a 4x5 Chamonix?

Jack Flesher
6-Sep-2007, 10:27
What is the wait time to get a 4x5 Chamonix?

Right now, 6 months. But I suspect that in 6 months they will be back-logged a year unless they expand their operation...

Chris Keller
7-Sep-2007, 08:58
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum but I am an avid photographer that has just been away from it for too long.

I have been looking for a small field camera to replace my Omega View 45 D rail camera. I need something lightweight yet with sufficient movements that I wouldn't mind carrying. The Omega is wonderful but so big and cumebersome that I don't shoot with it very much. I was really interested in the Canham DLC45, the Canham wood 4x5 and the Gandolfi Variant....all very nice cameras but thanks to Jack and Amund for posting pics of their Chamonixs and a huge thanks to Hugo for bring them here...

I have just placed an order for my very own Chamonix 045N-1...I can't wait! It is such a gorgeous and simple yet effiecient design...with high quality and costing MUCH less than any of the others.

Chris Keller
Colorado Springs, CO

buze
7-Sep-2007, 16:05
Is it possible to keep a small lens on when the camera is folded ?

Darn, it's a great looking piece of kit for the price, might just be the thing to get something with more movement than the Crown ! :D

Jack Flesher
8-Sep-2007, 10:58
Is it possible to keep a small lens on when the camera is folded ?

Darn, it's a great looking piece of kit for the price, might just be the thing to get something with more movement than the Crown ! :D

Nope, you need to remove the lens for folding.

buze
8-Sep-2007, 16:51
Well, it looks too good, so I ordered one.

A couple of question tho :
+ Is there room for a handle ?
+ Whats the folding/unfolding sequence ? It seem one need to remove the front standard, fold it 'forward' and then fold the back standard on it... Is this exact ?

davidb
8-Sep-2007, 18:16
Is there a folding focusing hood for this camera?

Jack Flesher
8-Sep-2007, 19:49
Well, it looks too good, so I ordered one.

A couple of question tho :
+ Is there room for a handle ?
+ Whats the folding/unfolding sequence ? It seem one need to remove the front standard, fold it 'forward' and then fold the back standard on it... Is this exact ?

1) Yes, but I think it is sperfluous;

2) You got it -- and of course make sure the bed is in its rear-most position :)

Jack Flesher
8-Sep-2007, 19:50
Is there a folding focusing hood for this camera?

I don't know of one yet -- but could easily be fabrcated.

johnwnyc
11-Sep-2007, 12:49
Perhaps trivial, but I noticed that your groundglass is gridded. I was told that this wasn't an option from the factory. Did you make a special request?

Amund BLix Aaeng
11-Sep-2007, 12:51
Perhaps trivial, but I noticed that your groundglass is gridded. I was told that this wasn't an option from the factory. Did you make a special request?

Mine came with a gridded gg as well, I guess it`s standard.

davidb
11-Sep-2007, 12:53
I really hope this camera is a good as it appears.

I've been daydreaming about since I saw the first photos.

Jack Flesher
11-Sep-2007, 13:16

It's how mine came.

Harley Goldman
11-Sep-2007, 15:06
Jack,

How bright is the ground glass? Compared to your ex-Arca? Any plans to get say a Maxwell screen for the Chamonix?

Jack Flesher
11-Sep-2007, 15:50
Jack,

How bright is the ground glass? Compared to your ex-Arca? Any plans to get say a Maxwell screen for the Chamonix?

Hi Harley:

Just about identical to the Arca, but not as bright as an Ebony. More than adequate for me as-is, so no immediate plans to replace it.

Cheers,

Jack Flesher
13-Oct-2007, 09:53
Note that I have moved ALL of my Chamonix images to this album: Chamonix 4x5, Maple (http://jack.cameraphile.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album22)

Nick_3536
13-Oct-2007, 14:36
Lots of talk about Chamonix but I have a question. Do they do add ons like other companies?

Reducing backs?

Gordon Moat
13-Oct-2007, 16:09
Hi Jack (don't say that at an airport),

On your picture with the 65mm mounted, is the front rise the limit of coverage, or some mechanical limitation? Thanks in advance.

Personally, I wish Shen-Hao and Chamonix would make parts available for sale. There are some aspects that would be nice to use on projects.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio

Nick_3536
13-Oct-2007, 16:22
I bought a replacement back for my Shen Hao. I'm sure if you asked they would sell you other things.

Hugo Zhang
13-Oct-2007, 18:24
Nick and Gordon,

Chamonix plans to make add ons and parts for the popular 45N-1. But at this moment, the factory is running at its full capacity to make more 4x5 cameras to meet the demand of the long long waiting list. Blame Jack and Amund for starting threads like this...:)

So probably some time next year we are going to have good news for the add ons and parts. There are a few dozens of Chamonix 45 camera users in China wishing and waiting for accessaries too. One thing I want to make clear here: Chamonix is not expanding nor outsourcing its production capacity to meet demand and has no plan to do so in the future. To train a good wood craftman takes years and the factory understands top quality along with excellent service is its life. They can not afford to take any risk on these two things.

Nick_3536
14-Oct-2007, 02:53
Hugo if I do get one it would be one of the bigger cameras. Depending on the format I get I'd like at least one reducing back. To be honest I wouldn't mind a little longer bellows to.