PDA

View Full Version : LF users...getting acquainted

heidis
12-Oct-2000, 01:58
Hi, this isn't a technique or equipment question (surprise!). I'd like to propos e an idea to help get LF photographers acquainted, both online and off.

Might it be possible to devote a section of this forum (or Tuan's LF site) as a "meet your fellow LF enthusiast" area? Tuan's page includes a "links to LF photo graphers" page, but that's really only for those who have websites. I'd like to see something where the LF photographer can post some basic information about hi mself/herself, such as interests, city, etc. Not only would this let us get to k now more about our fellow website users, but also it would fill a much-needed ga p to learn of other LF photographers who might live near us, or places we intend to visit.

I've so often seen a post in which the writer comments that no other LF users ar e nearby, and is on his own as far as learning, seeing equipment, or just gettin g out for some shooting. Personally, I feel the same. I've never seen another pe rson in my area with a LF camera, but for all I know, there may be one in the ne xt town! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to look up nearby enthusiasts...to sugge st shooting trips together, etc? I have a few photo friends locally, but none us ing LF. I simply don't take along my LF gear when going with them, for reasons c lear to all of us...but I'd be tickled to get together with some other LF users if I just knew where they were!

How about your opinions? Suggestions? I think this is an idea worth pursuing :)

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
12-Oct-2000, 02:12
I'm all for that!

Matt_1193
12-Oct-2000, 03:28
That would be great. I know that I am not alone in being in a small town where LF advice/service is sorely lacking.

Trevor Crone
12-Oct-2000, 04:38
Yes, a nice idea.

Doremus Scudder
12-Oct-2000, 05:12
Maybe an LF dating service would be popular as well. :-)

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
12-Oct-2000, 09:11
Join the L.F.A. ? Hello, my name is bob, and I am a sheef-filmaholic.

Jason_1171
12-Oct-2000, 09:16
Cool. Good idea. I know of only one other LFer in my area, but I'm sure there have to be many more.

Jason.

Jacque Staskon
12-Oct-2000, 10:05
Sure, and I am all for the dating service too.

M.
12-Oct-2000, 10:22
I've met Sean Yates, and I definitely wouldn't want to date him!

David R Munson
12-Oct-2000, 11:28
It certainly sounds like a good idea to me.

Paul Schilliger
12-Oct-2000, 13:16
Looks like LF photographers have a large sense of humor too! That would be nice , Danny!

bill zelinski
12-Oct-2000, 14:07
A chance for a date with Trib?

QT Luong
12-Oct-2000, 14:08
That's a good idea, but to implement it properly would require some significant DB programming. Or does anybody know a site which would outsource such an utility ? On the other hand, it would be fairly easy to create a semi-dynamic page where you can append your data. Searching would be by browsing the page, and for changes/deletions, you'd have to email me.

sheldon hambrick
12-Oct-2000, 16:35
Sean and I met when I was working in Chicago. Great guy, but ditto on "no dates"! :-)

Doug Paramore
12-Oct-2000, 17:49
I really like the idea of a get acquainted section. It shouldn't be too difficult to have a listing spot. It could be broken down by states or areas after enough names are gathered. Great idea. My wife nixed the idea of a dating service, darn it. Still, if there is a beautiful lady photographer out there 40-50 years old with a Linhof Master and full compement of lenses, please send picture of camera.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
12-Oct-2000, 20:42
Oh c'mon guys! What if I shave? My legs too?

heidis
13-Oct-2000, 01:43
I'm glad my idea has been well-received. Now to implement it...Tuan has indicated that it could be quite involved to create DB programming for such a site. Perhaps it would be simpler to involve a 2-part approach: one part being the "semi-dynamic" page featuring long-term content of information about ourselves, for which we e-mail Tuan with additions or changes. I'd like to see this organized by state, province, etc. for easy searching by region. The other part could be an interactive column, such as this column to which we post daily, but devoted to trip planning. For example, let's say that I want to make a trip to Lake Superior for three days of fall shooting. I post a message to the "interactive column", and others who have an interest can reply either to that column, or directly to me.

Tuan, does this sound like a workable solution? Again, opinions/suggestions from anyone?

M.
13-Oct-2000, 01:58
Have you ever considered just joining your local camera club?

Chad Jarvis
13-Oct-2000, 07:44
I spent an entire weekend in Indiannapolis, and Sean blew me off. Maybe I should consider myself lucky!

Chad Jarvis
13-Oct-2000, 07:45
Er, Indianapolis.

bill zelinski
13-Oct-2000, 13:48
I'd love to find a LF club in my area, I even tried starting one myself..this seems like a better idea.

Joe Buechler
13-Oct-2000, 14:33
Danny, why don't you just start a thread under the "Location Shooting" topic or something, with the title of "Getting Acquainted - LF enthusiasts in Peoria" or whatever, instead of imposing more work on the web master? If other people like the idea, they'll create threads named "LF enthsiasts in Tasmania" and such.

james mickelson
14-Oct-2000, 13:53
I like the idea. I go on shooting trips all over the southwest and would enjoy meeting other photographers. I am interested in dating Sean but only if he brings his 8x10. Tribs out as far as I'm concerned. He's too liberal for me. I'm James and I shoot LF. No I'm not ashamed. I've been at it a long time now and I print all of my own stuff. I love the darkroom work the most. Damn the digital, full speed ahead. I live in San Diego and there is a club I belong to that meets twice a month called the darkroomers. Some of us shoot lF and we welcome all formats. I'd like to hear from some of the rest of you and find out where you live and what you like to shoot. James