PDA

View Full Version : Is the Rodenstock Sironar N MC the same as the N APO?

Deliberate1
30-Aug-2007, 13:52
Friends, I have a bead on a 180mm but need to know if these are essentially the same lens with a different designation, all for price comparison reasons. The N MC is in an all black copal (no metal ring). What would a fair price be for the N MC in like new condition, and what does a "42 mount" mean? I am new to this format. Would this mount work with my Toyo 45A? Much obliged.
David

naturephoto1
30-Aug-2007, 13:56
David,

As far as I know the Sironar N MC was the same as the Apo Sironar N MC. It was relabled as I recall when Rodenstock introduced the Apo Sironar S line of lenses. I believe that the Sironar N and the Apo Sironar N lenses use Flint glass while the Apo Sironar S lens uses ED glass.

I'm sure that Bob Salomon of HP Marketing can provide more information.

The 42mm indicates the opening size for mounting the lens onto a lens board. This is the opening size for a Copal 1 Shutter.

Rich

Oren Grad
30-Aug-2007, 15:27
Bob's usual response to this question is that the design was carried over from the Sironar-N MC to the Apo-Sironar-N, but that newer samples of the lens benefit from refinements in the manufacturing process.

Even allowing for that, the Sironar-N MC lenses are very fine lenses.

"42 mount" means you must be looking at KEH. The $399 that they're asking for the 180 in "LN-" (not "LN") condition is a reasonable price for clean sample of that lens being sold by a dealer. Conceivably you could find one for somewhat less from a private seller, though the 180's are less common than the 150's and the 210's and you might have to wait a while if you must have that focal length.

davidb
30-Aug-2007, 15:55
So the N came before the S ?

Oren Grad
30-Aug-2007, 16:05
Yes.

Deliberate1
30-Aug-2007, 18:54
Thanks fot the info. And Oren, I guess there are no secrets in the world of LF lenses. So is the "42" the size of the hole in the board? Just a guess. Thanks. David

naturephoto1
30-Aug-2007, 19:30
David,

The 42 is for 42mm size hole of the lens board to mount the #1 Copal Shutter.

Rich