PDA

View Full Version : Cirkut Camera

tylercooney
30-Aug-2007, 13:47
Does anyone know the approximate value of a 8inch Cirkut camera? or where I could find one? I have been offered one for $3000. The camera is in great working condition and has been used by the same person for about 51 years. It would include the tripod, lens, gears, and the back. Thanks.

Jim Galli
30-Aug-2007, 14:53
Will Whitaker has a No. 8 complete that I made the photo you see here with.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/TonopahCirkut_s.jpg (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/TonopahCirkut_1.jpg)

That was a first try. I think Will is looking for $1800-ish and it's VERY complete and a proven good runner. WFW on this forum. So $3000 may be too much.

Click on the little one for a large version.

David A. Goldfarb
30-Aug-2007, 15:47
If the $3000 camera doesn't have the banding issues that the $1800 camera has, judging by Jim's photo, it may be worth the premium.

Gene McCluney
30-Aug-2007, 16:07
If the $3000 camera doesn't have the banding issues that the $1800 camera has, judging by Jim's photo, it may be worth the premium.

That banding could be due to the actual film used. I read somewhere that Efke had "issues" with banding on their ULF films, due to their antiquated coating line. It could also be due to processing issues in hand dip-n-dunk processing of the large negative.

David A. Goldfarb
30-Aug-2007, 16:11
Could be, but banding problems are unsurprising in old Cirkut cameras, which isn't to say that they might not be repairable.

Jim Galli
30-Aug-2007, 16:39

Gimme a break, it was my first try and the 8" film cut down from 9 1/2" was rough.

Scott --
30-Aug-2007, 16:57
Jim, that is too stinkin' cool...

Leonard Robertson
31-Aug-2007, 08:13
Not so many years ago, Cirkut values were based on professional photographers using them to shoot groups, and making considerable money with them. The 2 1/4" pan cameras, and more recently digital have for the most part taken over that function, I suspect. That, plus the problems getting film, have knocked Cirkut prices down quite a bit. Ten or more years ago, $5000 for a #10 Camera and $3000 for a #8 Outfit wouldn't have been unheard of. Today, I'd guess $2500-3000 for a #10 and $1200-1500 for an #8 are more typical. I'm mostly basing this on eBay sales I've seen over the last few years, not dealer asking prices. However, a Cirkut you can actually watch run, or at least one from a seller you trust to assure you it is great running condition, would be worth a bit more, maybe up to the $1800 Jim mentions. For that price, I would want one in nice cosmetic condition, too. Cirkuts tend to be like Speed Graphics - most were used enough you seldom see one in mint condition. Nice cosmetics doesn't assure a good running camera, but a really rough one might have been used enough to have wear in the shaft bearings.

In the last few months, there have been a few posts on Cirkuts, either on this forum, photo.net, or APUG. If you are considering a Cirkut, you should search the archives for all the information you can find, especially on film sources.