PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon Discontinues Production of SOME Large Format Lenses

Kerry L. Thalmann
30-Aug-2007, 10:03
Fellow Fujinon Fans,

It is with deep regret that I inform you that Fujinon has recently discontinued production and shipment of SOME of their excellent line of large format optics. Thanks to a fellow photographer from Japan, I have learned that they have ended production of the following lenses:

Fujinon-SW f8.0/90mm shipment ended in August 2006
Fujinon-T f8.0/300mm shipment ended in August 2006
Fujinon-CMW f5.6/300mm shipment ended in December 2006
Fujinon-SWD f5.6/65mm shipment ended in December 2006

With Nikon exiting the large format market a couple years ago, this does not bode well for future LF lens availability. Fuji makes great lenses, and some that are truly unique in the combination of compact size and generous coverage (240mm Fujinon A, 450mm Fujinon C, 600mm Fujinon C, etc.).

I have no idea if they have plans to discontinue any other lenses, but if you've been thinking about buying a Fujinon lens, now might be a good time to act. In addition to insuring yourself of getting a great lens (I LOVE my 240 A and 450 C), you might also help send a message Fuji that there is still a market for these wonderful products.

Kerry

Oren Grad
30-Aug-2007, 10:09
The randomness of that selection suggests that they may have stopped all production, and those are just the ones for which stock has already been depleted. We'll see.

Anyway, here's official word:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/lens/oldproducts.html

Nick_3536
30-Aug-2007, 10:20
Considering how cheap the fast 300mm and even 360mm seem to be getting I can only guess a lot more selling of used ones then people buying new ones.

Ted Harris
30-Aug-2007, 10:28
To add to Kerry's comment. If youa re going to send a note to Fuji, make sure you send it to Fuji, Japan. The US and Canadian film folks, while they know about the LF lenses, do not distribute them in North America. The lenses that we get here are brought in directly from Japan.

JPlomley
30-Aug-2007, 10:49
What an odd situation. A company that has brought back the most popular slide emulsion of all time (Velvia 50), that continues to develop improved high speed film (Provia 400X), and then starts to dissassemble a lens line that supports film in a format that is likely to outlast all other others.

Jim Chinn
30-Aug-2007, 11:21
Sad news, but I don't know why anyone is suprised. Considering that the vast majority of commerical shooters who once used LF now shoot digital, there is little market for new lenses produced in the numbers required to be economical for the manufacturer. When you factor in all high quality used lenses that are out there for sale, I am amazed there is a market for any new lenses.

Be interesting to see if this has an effect on prices of used lenses, especially the specific Fujinons listed in the OP.

Gordon Moat
30-Aug-2007, 11:32
It has probably been a long time since Fujinon lenses were sold outside Japan, if they ever officially were sold in other countries. Given that Japan might be a limited market, this announcement does not seem too surprising.

Of course that leaves Rodenstock (Linos) and Schneider. Both are making much shorter focal length lenses for medium format digital backs. Schneider also have deals with a few companies designing lenses for P&S cameras. Then there is Cooke, at least willing to consider making some lenses in the future for large format.

My guess is that in the longer term, new large format lenses will become very expensive specialized limited production items. Good thing that there is a large supply of high quality used lenses on the market. I think used lens prices have already gone up in the last two years.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

naturephoto1
30-Aug-2007, 12:44
That is indeed unfortunate. Hopefully Fuji will not retire the line as Nikon did only a short time ago.

Rich

Ken Lee
30-Aug-2007, 12:58
As soon as demand returns for Large Format film lenses, all these companies will rush back into production. They will have to pull their old employees out of retirement.

sanking
30-Aug-2007, 13:01
As soon as demand returns for Large Format film lenses, all these companies will rush back into production. They will have to pull their old employees out of retirement.

I would not worry too much about any of this. If there is a demand, someone will produce lenses for LF cameras. Someone in China is probably already thinking about it.

Sandy King

David Karp
30-Aug-2007, 13:04
Hasn't Fuji retired, and then resurrected, some of its lenses already?

Scott Squires
31-Aug-2007, 15:16
I have had a Fuji 300C on order from Badger for 4 months and they are still waiting with what sounds like no real delivery date from Fuji. Originally it was going to be June. Hopefully this is not a bad sign? I would not be surprised if the next shipment of lenses will come with an increase in price, the Yen has been very strong!

Scott

www.scottsquires.com

Gary Smith
31-Aug-2007, 18:32
On a trip to Tokyo last week, I stopped by several shops looking for a 450mm Fuji CMW (not the C), and was told the same thing. They are currently sold out on many lenses and now doing a production run. I don’t recall all the details, but the lens I ordered will be ready in late October. The 300Cs are suppose to be done in late October or early November. There is a list of 10 or so lens they are producing and the expected delivery dates floating around the house somewhere. If I can find it, I will post the details.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Gary Smith
31-Aug-2007, 18:34
Hasn't Fuji retired, and then resurrected, some of its lenses already?

This is true. Actually one of the lenses on the production list was the 300mm Telephoto, even though its been listed as discontinued.

Gary

ifer
1-Sep-2007, 00:51
ohh... hopefully they will continue with the 300mm telephoto lens.

Joseph O'Neil
1-Sep-2007, 06:53
ohh... hopefully they will continue with the 300mm telephoto lens.

Have you ever used a 300mm or larger telephoto for 4x5? While I've never used the Fujinon version - and I have used and love Fujinon lenses in general - I've personally come not like telephotos, but prefer other styles in that size.

Give you an example - I had a nice 300mm telephoto, optically very nice, but for backpacking they tend to be a bit large. Also, the 270mm g-claron I now carry, is small, easier to carry around, and these lenses - which are usually made for 8x10 or larger in this size - have a wondefull, huge image circle when using only 4x5.

As I said, any of the Telephotos I have seen (even my old Wollensak tele-raptar) are very fine lenses optically, but ergonomically, for lightweight and backpacking, they just don't always fit the bill
joe

ifer
1-Sep-2007, 10:43
Have you ever used a 300mm or larger telephoto for 4x5? While I've never used the Fujinon version - and I have used and love Fujinon lenses in general - I've personally come not like telephotos, but prefer other styles in that size.

Give you an example - I had a nice 300mm telephoto, optically very nice, but for backpacking they tend to be a bit large. Also, the 270mm g-claron I now carry, is small, easier to carry around, and these lenses - which are usually made for 8x10 or larger in this size - have a wondefull, huge image circle when using only 4x5.

As I said, any of the Telephotos I have seen (even my old Wollensak tele-raptar) are very fine lenses optically, but ergonomically, for lightweight and backpacking, they just don't always fit the bill
joe

hmm... i havent used a telephoto before. but i am interested in getting a 300mm lens for my shenhao. the reason why telephoto is the fact that my shenhao max bellow extension is only 300mm... and i thougt by using a telephoto, i might be able to focus on something closer... no?

if not, a 300mm f8/9 lens looks tempting enough.

ifer
1-Sep-2007, 10:51

joe

hmm... i havent used a telephoto before. but i am interested in getting a 300mm lens for my shenhao. the reason why telephoto is the fact that my shenhao max bellow extension is only 300mm... and i thougt by using a telephoto, i might be able to focus on something closer... no?

poco
1-Sep-2007, 11:41

If you use the front tilt and lens stage adjustment with the shen-hao, you can get enough bellows extension to focus at 6-7 feet. It may look like a precarious set-up but the 300c is a very light lens and it works just fine.

Brian Ellis
1-Sep-2007, 17:19

joe

I owned the Fuji 400T and used it on a Tachihara. It was an excellent lens and in a Copal 1 shutter so things weren't too big or heavy.