PDA

View Full Version : Can someone Identify this camera?

Dustin Wintczak
30-Aug-2007, 00:29
So I'm shopping around for a lightweight LF field camera, i've narrowed it down to a Tachi, Shen Hao or maybe a Wista..but I found this auction on ebay and I can't imagine it's going to sell for more than 300$ or so. So my question is, should I just spend the 600$ for a new Tachihara or pay half the amount for the ebay auction? Just curios to hear some opinions and if someone can identify exactly what kind of camera it is, that would be helpful as well. Thanks

ebay link (cut and paste) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330159900201&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

Dustin

Dirk Rösler
30-Aug-2007, 00:36
With a seller that clueless, $300 may buy the same in problems. Bellows for a start. How do you know it locks tightly etc.

I would stay away from this 'bargain'

Rob_5419
30-Aug-2007, 02:44
Hard to identify without a name plaque ;)

It's not a current line Wista if it's a Wista at all, but its design looks like more likely, an early Zone VI. It would be nice if it was a Wisner, although I doubt so. Doesn't look like a Tachy or a Shen Hao to me either.

By the way, how do you propose to mount it on a tripod with a base like that?

Nick_3536
30-Aug-2007, 03:36
Indian camera?

That's a turntable tripod mount isn't it?

Dave Parker
30-Aug-2007, 04:58
It is a Calumet wood field, I have one exactly like it, the tell tale sign is the chincy painted tripod mount that has the paint flaking off. They are an okay camera, not quite as rigid as the more expensive cameras, but very usable.

Dave

Bryan Lemasters
30-Aug-2007, 07:03
Yes, it is either a Calumet or early Nagaoka (Nagoaka advertised this camera in View Camera Magazine in the early '90's). If my memory isn't failing me, I think Calumet put an ID on the base just where you can see some residual adhesive in the ebay pics - Dave? I have one, also. This is a very lightweight camera -less than 3 pounds -and terrific for backpacking, but you give up some stability, especially in the rear swing design. One major caveat is the very weak rear-positioned tripod mount. Put a longish lens on it and you risk pulling the mount screws out. I fabricated a new mount from aluminum that extends from the original mount to a wood nut on the opposite side (formed in a shallow "U" shape so that I could still close the camera with a lens attached), then drilled and threaded a new mount hole in the center.

alec4444
30-Aug-2007, 07:23
Glad someone figured it out. For a sec there I thought it might be the infamous Crapocamera (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=28020)! :D

For ~ $300, it sounds like it may not be such a bad deal.

--A

Steven Barall
30-Aug-2007, 07:30
Dave is right. It's the 4x5 Calumet Woodfield. I got mine directly from Calumet more than twenty years ago for about $250. I used it all this time until about four months ago when I bought a Shen-Hao and the only reason I made the switch is because of the availability of a bag bellows for the Shen-Hao. (Almost all of that time I only used a 150mm lens but a few years ago I got a good 90.) The Calumet is very small and light weight, the Shen-Hao is much much heavier. It's a perfectly good little camera though as long as you don't need precision geared movements.

Bryan Lemasters
30-Aug-2007, 07:33
My improved version of the chincy, painted tripod mount:D 5626

Dave Parker
30-Aug-2007, 08:03
I only paid $125.00 for mine about 2 years ago, which based on the camera, was a good deal, I would not pay over $200 for a used one, it is a great backpacking camera, very lightweight...

Brian Ellis
30-Aug-2007, 08:24
It may be a good deal at $300. But "the bellows looks good" isn't good enough. Ask the seller to put the camera in a dark room, remove the back, and slowly shine a flashlight up, down, and all around the interior of the bellows while he looks on the outside for light leaks, especially pin holes in the corners of the bellows. Unless he can tell you he's done that and there are no leaks your $300 camera is likely to turn into a $450 or so camera.

I'm surprised it's a Calumet Woodfield since they've been Tachiharas with a Calumet decal for quite a while and this sure isn't a Tachihara (at least none I've ever seen). I guess a long time ago Calumet must have bought their cameras from a manufacturer other than Tachihara? I wonder who the manufacturer really is? Or did Calumet actually make their own cameras back then?

Dave Parker
30-Aug-2007, 08:37
I am guessing the one that I have was made in the early 80's, one other thing to make sure of on the bellows is that it has not come loose from the front standard, the way the bellows are attached, they have a tendency to tear loose if they are over extended, I re-enforced mine with gaffers tape to help take care of the problem. I have the small instruction pamphlet around here that came with the camera, I will dig them out and see if it has a date on it...

Oren Grad
30-Aug-2007, 08:47
The Tachihara was sold by Calumet as the Wood Field XM. The camera in the auction is different from the XM.

I have a 4x5 similar to the one shown in the auction, but with a darker wood finish and with a Graflok back. It has no label but was sold to me as a Nagaoka. But it's very different from the classic Nagaoka design, and I don't know who actually built it.

If it's in good condition it's a perfectly usable camera, though setting up the front standard is a bit slower and fussier than with the classic Nagaoka.

Bryan Lemasters
30-Aug-2007, 09:23
Hello.......hello........ello.........lo.....lo....

Anybody here? .......nybody here? ......body here?.....here?.....ere?...

Nagaoka........goaka......oaka......alumet.......umet.....met:p

this is from a Lens and Repro ad in March/April 1991 View Camera:
Attached Thumbnails

Alan Davenport
30-Aug-2007, 12:11
The ubiquitous Calumet Wood Field. Trouble is, Calumet didn't manufacture the Wood Field; they simply rebadged someone else's camera, just like just about everything else they sell. Calumet sells great stuff, just not stuff they build.

My own Calumet Wood Field, ca. 1994, is a Tachihara. (The one in question in this post, is not a Tachi. Dunno if it's a Calumet, either, as they did put a badge on them.)

Rob_5419
30-Aug-2007, 13:41
My improved version of the chincy, painted tripod mount:D 5626

Brian,

good modification. But where is the tripod hole?

Any problems with twist and torsion due to the 2, not 3 point mounting bracket?

Did it cost much to make?

I'm still trying to come up with ideas for these circular base plate cameras which is economical...

Dave Parker
30-Aug-2007, 13:55
The ubiquitous Calumet Wood Field. Trouble is, Calumet didn't manufacture the Wood Field; they simply rebadged someone else's camera, just like just about everything else they sell. Calumet sells great stuff, just not stuff they build.

My own Calumet Wood Field, ca. 1994, is a Tachihara. (The one in question in this post, is not a Tachi. Dunno if it's a Calumet, either, as they did put a badge on them.)

My calumet wood field, did not have a badge. I bought it from the original owner who bought it from Calumet and he told me it did not have a badge...

Dave

sanking
30-Aug-2007, 14:16
I think the camera is a Nagaoka. Bryan's case is pretty persuasive.

Quite unlike the Nagaoka I have, but still . . . .

Quite possible Calumet distributed cameras made by Nagaoka, no?

Sandy King

Bryan Lemasters
30-Aug-2007, 14:17
Brian,

good modification. But where is the tripod hole?

Any problems with twist and torsion due to the 2, not 3 point mounting bracket?

Did it cost much to make?

I'm still trying to come up with ideas for these circular base plate cameras which is economical...

Rob, the adapter is shown with a quick-release for a lightweight Bogen ball head. The adapter costs less than ten bucks to make - aluminum bar is available at the local hardware store in various lengths and widths. The 1/4" wood nut that the front of the adapter is screwed to was already on my camera when I purchased it. Not sure if it was factory installed or added later. A good hardware store should have them, also. No torsional issues at all - a very sturdy mount that also helps camera balance.

Bryan Lemasters
30-Aug-2007, 15:04
I think the camera is a Nagaoka. Bryan's case is pretty persuasive.

Quite unlike the Nagaoka I have, but still . . . .

Quite possible Calumet distributed cameras made by Nagaoka, no?

Sandy King

Also possible that Nagaoka was not the actual manufacurer but simply "re-badged" it like Calumet. Most of the Nagoakas that you see have sliding rear standards that I am guessing also allow some rear swing, and have chrome hardware. Does this sound like yours, Sandy? I think I have also seen the Ikeda name associated with them. The older ones like mine and the ebay item that was the original subject of this thread have rather uneven faux brass hardware.

Bryan Lemasters
30-Aug-2007, 15:06
Hmm, doesn't appear that I can spell "Nagaoka" correctly more than once per post:o

sanking
30-Aug-2007, 16:03
Also possible that Nagaoka was not the actual manufacurer but simply "re-badged" it like Calumet. Most of the Nagoakas that you see have sliding rear standards that I am guessing also allow some rear swing, and have chrome hardware. Does this sound like yours, Sandy? I think I have also seen the Ikeda name associated with them. The older ones like mine and the ebay item that was the original subject of this thread have rather uneven faux brass hardware.

Yes, mine has the sliding rear standard that permits rear swing. Some cameras named Ikeda were similar, perhaps identical.

My Nagoaka was purchased brand new from Lens and Repro in the early 1980s. It is a gold plated hardware model, though the 4X5 reducing back was only available in chrome plated brass.

Sandy

Dustin Wintczak
2-Sep-2007, 13:14
Thanks for all the responses and info. I went ahead and just bought a brand new tachihara. I see the ebay auction for the camera in question is already up to 300$, the extra 200$ for the brand new camera was worth it for me.