PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Graflex SLRs?

athanasius80
29-Aug-2007, 22:28
As I contemplate yet another camera purchase, I'm wondering what are the particular charms of the 4x5 Graflex SLRs. I can see them as the state of the art press camera circa 1905, but I'm curious as to what makes them special. From user opinions, what are these cameras awesome to use for? What are these cameras a pain to use for?

I'm happy to hear any honest opinions, PMs and emails are fine.

Thanks!

Robert A. Zeichner
30-Aug-2007, 04:33
I don't know if you could call them charming, but when you get the itch to make 4x5's in the middle of a Michigan winter, they are a handy way to make photographs without a focusing cloth and sometimes, even a tripod! Of course, the shutter speeds available are somewhat limiting at times and without movements, it's not like using a view camera. I sometimes take this camera to a local shooting spot where tripods are not permited. I wonder if it would be possible to get up to the observation deck of the Empire State building with one of these?

There was a handbook published for or by the Navy on the use of this camera in which they warn the user that this camera is not suitable for photographing carrier landings! That makes me think that someone trying such a stunt became overly distracted by what was on the ground glass and got struck by something that wasn't, but that's just a guess.

Mark Sampson
30-Aug-2007, 04:43
It would seem that they are excellent for large-format portraiture- see the work of Edward Weston and Paul Strand. And in the "current" category, the fashion work by Arthur Elgort.

Walter Calahan
30-Aug-2007, 06:36
I love them 'cause you can mount all sorts of barrel lenses on them.

They make LF portrait work a snap, as long as you don't need to use strobes.

Plus people love to see them in action. I find they bring people out of the wood work, which makes for portrait opportunities.

Brian Ellis
30-Aug-2007, 08:34
I think one of their main advantages for someone who doesn't plan to hand-hold is that there are a lot of them around and they don't cost much, hence an inexpensive way for someone to kind of test the large format waters without spending much money.

Dan Fromm
30-Aug-2007, 09:09
Brian, are you thinking of Graphic press cameras or Graflex reflexes?

Brian Ellis
31-Aug-2007, 10:07
Brian, are you thinking of Graphic press cameras or Graflex reflexes?

Dan - Actually I didn't have a specific type in mind, I kind of lump them all into the same general category of "LF camera with no back movements and limited other movements that were made for hand-holding and were popular for half a century or more." In other words, I don't know enough about them to distinguish among the various types or models. If there are major differences between "Graphic press" and "Graflex reflexes" then that's my mistake for not distinguishing between them.

Ernest Purdum
31-Aug-2007, 13:22
For people who want to use an LF camera handheld they make a lot of sense.

There are significant differences betwen models. The "B" series have fixed lenses - not desirable. The RB Auto Graflex are good for use with quite long lenses. The "D" and "Super D" versions are the most versatile. The Super D goes for more money and is worth it if you want to use the standard auto diaphragm lens.

David A. Goldfarb
31-Aug-2007, 14:02
Dan - Actually I didn't have a specific type in mind, I kind of lump them all into the same general category of "LF camera with no back movements and limited other movements that were made for hand-holding and were popular for half a century or more." In other words, I don't know enough about them to distinguish among the various types or models. If there are major differences between "Graphic press" and "Graflex reflexes" then that's my mistake for not distinguishing between them.

A Graphic press camera is the one that's like a folding field camera with limited movements. Weegee used one (as well as a B&J Press)

A Graflex reflex camera is an SLR with a mirror that allows you to look directly through the lens until the moment of exposure like a big oversized RB67. Weston used a 3x4" version usually for candid portraits early in his career, and a 4x5" later.

Neal Shields
31-Aug-2007, 14:29
Quick note: many people use the Super D with electronic flash.

I was never able to find out if this was designed in or just a work around someone figured out.

You drop the mirror and set the shutter on open.

This means that the mirror is the only thing blocking the light path.

Then you fire the shutter. The mirror comes up and at the end of its travel it trips the flash and releases the shutter at the the same time. The shutter then closes.

This is said to give a shutter time of about 1/25 sec.

Neal

Christopher Nisperos
31-Aug-2007, 14:51
As I contemplate yet another camera purchase, I'm wondering what are the particular charms of the 4x5 Graflex SLRs. I can see them as the state of the art press camera circa 1905, but I'm curious as to what makes them special. From user opinions, what are these cameras awesome to use for? What are these cameras a pain to use for?

I'm happy to hear any honest opinions, PMs and emails are fine.

Thanks!

The excellent design of the Graflex SLRs make them feel good to use. For the "square cubes" they would seem to be, they are surprising ergonomic. Your left thumb will automatically find the correct place to press the shutter release lever. The whole sequence of re-arming the camera (mirror, shutter, diaphragm) goes so smoothly that you find yourself in a pleasurable ballet of movements, making it a swift transition to go from picture to picture. The Mamiya RB was based upon this camera's design —what?— some 60+ years after its debut!

They can be great to use for outdoor scenes and portraiture. You "see" the final picture more easily, IMHO. I have never used mine indoors with flash. For studio work —unless you equip yours with a bright ground glass— focusing can be a chore (I use a flashlight rigged-up as a focus target at the subject plane). Another downside is using the camera for eye-level portraits from a high tripod viewpoint. Usually, you'll have to stand on a chair or ladder. Looking down into the ground glass may turn you into an acrobatic doing a balancing act!

Using them outdoors always draws attention. Personally, it bothers me when too many people come up and ask questions when I'm trying to work. You're a LF user, so you know all the 'steps' it takes to make one exposure. Me, I ain't no quick thinker! If I'm talking with anyone other than a portrait sitter while I shoot, my results become risky. People have taken me for some kind of "old-timey" country fair photographer and have asked, "How much does it cost for a picture?". Worse, they'll remain at my side and make suggestions for compositions. Arggh.

Again, one GIANT plus (IMHO) is the big, beautiful optical image right in your hands. It seems to help you find good compositions more easily. When tripoded, the SLR feature is of course helpful in this respect as well, but don't forget one of the main advantages of this camera: being able to see the image right up to the moment you release the shutter. That way you can ask your sitter to say "cheese" rather than "supercalifragilisticexpialidociouscheese".

Best,

Christopher