PDA

View Full Version : Light Meter Calabration

gbr1000
28-Aug-2007, 06:27
I have a Minolta Spot Meter that needs calibration. Can Anyone suggest a place that specialize in light meter calibrations? Ritter Ritter doesn't do Minolta meters.

Thanks

Gary

vinny
28-Aug-2007, 06:59
Quality Light Metric Co in Hollywood is the best place to go but that little yellow screw under the battery cap, if you have the "F" model, allows you to do it yourself. Just find another meter or two to compare it to. That's what i've done to mine for about 10 years and it always matches with everyone elses.
Here's QLM's #323-467-2265

gbr1000
28-Aug-2007, 07:24
Vinny,
That's an excellent idea about the yellow screw in the battery compartment. I do have a "F: series and doing a little research about this. If all else fails..there's always QLM.

Thanks
Gary

venchka
28-Aug-2007, 16:54
I bought an Auto Meter Flash IV recently and did exactly that. I got out my other meters and fiddled with the little yellow thingie until all 3 meters matched. So far, the early results indicate that all 3 meters are in sync.

C. D. Keth
28-Aug-2007, 18:11
I bought an Auto Meter Flash IV recently and did exactly that. I got out my other meters and fiddled with the little yellow thingie until all 3 meters matched. So far, the early results indicate that all 3 meters are in sync.

But are they all right or are they all wrong?;)

I'd send it out to get it done right, especially if you shoot professionally or shoot chromes a lot.

venchka
29-Aug-2007, 05:34
But are they all right or are they all wrong?;)

I'd send it out to get it done right, especially if you shoot professionally or shoot chromes a lot.

Good question. I have been using a Weston Master V, Gossen Luna Pro and 2 Leica M5s for over a year with no complaints. The M5 has the best meter I've ever used. Period. My handheld meters match the M5s and vice versa. In early results, the Minolta meter seems to be accurate. I'm not a pro but I am particular about my work. ;)

Joseph O'Neil
29-Aug-2007, 05:39
I had my Pentax spot meter calibrated by the Pentax service depot here in Canada (when they had one). I would look up on the internet and see if Minolta has a service depot and deal directly with them. It may cost you a bit more, but the advantage is - if you want - you can have them a complete once over on your meter and repair/replace worn parts. For example, there are times when your meter might be off because of worn contacts for the battery or other such issues.

good luck
joe

venchka
29-Aug-2007, 05:44
I've read a rumor on the internet that a company took over the Minolta meter production and sales. If anyone can provide a clue to the accuracy of that information, I would apprciate it. Perhaps this company has a service facility in North America and they will work on the older meters. Hopefully they are better than Sony is about taking care of Konica-Minolta cameras and lenses.

douglas antonio
29-Aug-2007, 09:06
according to this, the minolta light meter section has obviously been taken over by kenko.

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/e/meter.html

venchka
29-Aug-2007, 10:03
Thank you! I knew I read that somewhere but couldn't remember the company.