PDA

View Full Version : Using film loaded six month ago OK ?

William Lindley
16-Jul-2000, 17:07
I have a quick, simple question: I have several film holders that were loaded on my last trip.(6 months ago.) They are loaded with Velvia, and have been packed away in my 4x5 camera bag all this time. They have been in a reasonably constant temperature and have not been taken out of the bag. My question is not the theo ry of whether this is ok or not. I know it is not. I am on a budget however and would like to go ahead and use this film. I would like to know if any of you hav e shot this film, under these conditions, and what was the result.

Thanks Much,

Bill

M.
16-Jul-2000, 17:57
The film has no way of knowing whether it has been stored in a holder or a box.

C.W. Dean
16-Jul-2000, 18:37
After many years of experience with sheet film, especially color materials, my judgment is that the film should be purchased fresh, refrigerated before use, brought to room temperature before loading, exposed soon after loading, and processed as soon as possible after exposure. Manufacturers' generally support this advice.

As a professional, I would be nervous about using film outside of these parameters. In my humid locale, film inside holders can be ruined by absorbing (like a sponge) humidity within just a few hours of loading. I look at it like fresh food--it only stays good for so long and if there is any question, it gets tossed......

Best regards & Good Photography! C. W. Dean Practicing Professional Photography since 1972 Photography Samples: http://www.erols.com/cwdean/home.htm

M.
16-Jul-2000, 22:55
Well, Bill, you won't get two more opposite opinions than these. The solution would seem to take a picture on one sheet and have it processed. Good luck.

Julio Fernandez
17-Jul-2000, 00:48
Film makers indeed provide the information thus far given here and generally it is all reasonable. Thus, as for Bill's question, tossing or testing would make sense. However, landscape photographers do not all spend their time with their film indoors under controlled temperature and humidity conditions. Sometimes they hike and camp in hot and humid weather with their film for a period of time longer than the manufacturers advice, and at temperatures and humidity exceeding their recommendations. In spite of all this, landscape photographers still get by as they must. As Fuji does not provide quantitative information on time /temperature /humidity effects on color changes, I would like to hear from those that have had experience with Velvia in such situations.

Hans Berkhout
17-Jul-2000, 01:27
It depends on the risk you are able/willing to take:

Will you be taking some backyard shots at home or are you going to Annapurna for a stroll and shoot? Hungry children to be fed at home, no money to buy fresh film etc? It's your call, good luck!

Hans Berkhout

Chris Hansen
17-Jul-2000, 17:37
I recently found some film holders that I had left in my bag. They were loaded with velvia and were almost 1 yr old. Some of the shots were stunning. The others were mediocre. Just like I took them:). Most modern film today can handle being stored for some period of time. That not to say we should make a practice of it as there is always the possibility of some color shift. God's light to you