PDA

View Full Version : Help in buying filters would be appreciated.

riooso
27-Aug-2007, 20:16
I know all this is not new to you all. I have searched and not found the answers. I am to the point that I want a square graduated filter that I can move up and down to match the horizon and I can't get that with a round filter. I have been looking at Lee and Cokin. Lee has a 100mmx150mm resin graduated filter that I guess is longer to allow moving up and down. My existing filters are all 77mm glass that I have step down rings for a 90,150,and 240mm lenses. Is polyester or resin as good optically as glass? These filters are expensive by my standards so I don't want to make mistakes. I will get the graduated first and get others when I am able. I backpack and don't want any extra weight which why Cokin would be nice because it looks lighter but not as well made as Lee.

Thanks in advance,
Richard Adams

Doug Dolde
27-Aug-2007, 20:17
You can probably get your answer from what has already been written here. Search on Lee or Singh Ray.

Sheldon N
27-Aug-2007, 20:32
Lee and Singh Ray are considered the best filters. Cokin are poorly regarded due to color shifts in their "neutral" gray graduated filters.

Hitech filters represent a good compromise - not as spendy as Lee or Singh Ray, but still neutral in color. They use the Cokin P series filter holder, which is pretty cheap. You just buy an adapter ring for each sized lens.

Check out www.2filter.com as a good source for filter kits. Hitech filters are $40 each.

For filter choice - I use a 2 stop soft and a 3 stop hard transition Hitech filter.

riooso
27-Aug-2007, 20:48
Thanks both of you. I typed in Singh Ray and found what I wanted. Lee or Cokin doesn't cut it. Thanks for the filter source. I wish the search engine would allow some +this and -that like most I am use to.
Thanks,
Richard

gregstidham
28-Aug-2007, 07:52
I would stay away from Cokin. I had one Cokin warming filter years ago and the lens would not focus with the filter on.

Hitech are a good budget minded filter option in my opinion. I have one and it works good, much better than the Cokin optically. They are resin, so care is needed to avoid scratches.

naturephoto1
28-Aug-2007, 08:00
Lee and Singh Ray are considered the best filters. Cokin are poorly regarded due to color shifts in their "neutral" gray graduated filters.

Hitech filters represent a good compromise - not as spendy as Lee or Singh Ray, but still neutral in color. They use the Cokin P series filter holder, which is pretty cheap. You just buy an adapter ring for each sized lens.

Check out www.2filter.com as a good source for filter kits. Hitech filters are $40 each.

For filter choice - I use a 2 stop soft and a 3 stop hard transition Hitech filter.

I have Hitech, Singh-Ray, and Lee Filters for the Cokin P Holder as well as the Hitech Wide Angle holder. The Cokin P holder is designed to take 2mm thick 84mm filters which are the size of both the Singh-Ray and the Lee filters for the Cokin P size. The Hitech filters and the Hitech Wide Angle holder unfortunately are 85mm and 1.5mm in thickness. So though the Hitech filters will fit the Cokin P Holder, the 1 extra mm is a force fit in the Cokin P holder. Additionally, the Singh-Ray and Lee filters for the Cokin P size will not fit the Hitech Wide Angle holder because they are .5mm too thick for their holder.

Rich

Bob Salomon
28-Aug-2007, 08:04
You will find that rectangular grads are far more adjustable then either round or square grads.

naturephoto1
28-Aug-2007, 08:08
You will find that rectangular grads are far more adjustable then either round or square grads.

The Hitech, Singh-Ray and Lee Resin Grads and the Tiffen and Formatt (parent company to Hitech) Glass Grads are all rectangular rather than square in shape. Heliopan used to make both glass and resin rectangular Grad filters, but I do not know if they still do.

Rich

riooso
28-Aug-2007, 15:55
I have a question about the Lee filter for example. I have seen the Lee filter was 100mm X 150mm. I want to get the Cokin filter holder because of the weight. Is the 100m listed by Lee really a 100mm? Confused! I looked at the Lee holder and it is quality to be sure but it is heavy compared to the Cokin. I backpack and I am all to concious of weight. Just this week I switched to Readyholders and quickload films to save weight so I give up weight begrudginly.

Thanks,
Richard

naturephoto1
28-Aug-2007, 16:03
Hi Richard,

Which Cokin size are you talking about? If you are talking about the Cokin P Holder, then Lee makes their P sized Grad Filters that are 84mm X 120mm. If you are talking about the larger Cokin Holder and Lee Holder then you are talking about the Lee 100mm X 150mm Grad Filters. Sing-Ray also makes filters to fit both sizes however, they are more expensive than the Lee Filters of like size. Additionally, each maker does have some unique products.

Lee has a limited number of their extensive Resin Filters made in the Cokin P size. However, they will make any of their filters in the P size as a special order. I believe any special orders in the P size are the list for their P size filters already available in the system.

Rich

riooso
28-Aug-2007, 19:21
Thanks that makes sense. I guess I was not looking at the Lee P series . I will make sure that I get the correct size. Sarting to gel about the proper one I want. Thanks again.

Richard

riooso
2-Sep-2007, 17:31
I want to thank you all. I got the filters that I ordered today and really like my choice. Thanks for the 2filter.com connection and the explanation of the filter sizes, that was information worth gold. Once again, thanks!

Richard

adonis_abril
5-Sep-2007, 10:18
I've owned/used the Lee Filters on a Cokin Z system...They're thick and unfortunately break easily. 3 of my filters broke even inside the padded case that came with it. I've been using Hitech/Formatt Neutral Graduated filters since and never been happier. The Graduation is much softer than the Lee versions so it's harder to see where it tapers off in the viewfinder...the positives of that? It's also harder to detect where it graduates in the slide :D But that's the purpose isn't it?

riooso
5-Sep-2007, 18:51
I ended with the Hitech on a Coking P holder. I backpack so the important thing is that the lenses themselves had to be a little more rugged than glass. I wish the Hitech was a bit longer but I think they will work fine. I have another question if I may. The space that is open to the outside, will it give glare or whatever to the lens. Round filters that screw in don't have the potential to this problem. I am assuming that as long as direct sunlight gets in it will be ok? I know they make bellows for the purpose but can one get by without one?

Richard

Ben Chase
5-Sep-2007, 18:54
I know all this is not new to you all. I have searched and not found the answers. I am to the point that I want a square graduated filter that I can move up and down to match the horizon and I can't get that with a round filter. I have been looking at Lee and Cokin. Lee has a 100mmx150mm resin graduated filter that I guess is longer to allow moving up and down. My existing filters are all 77mm glass that I have step down rings for a 90,150,and 240mm lenses. Is polyester or resin as good optically as glass? These filters are expensive by my standards so I don't want to make mistakes. I will get the graduated first and get others when I am able. I backpack and don't want any extra weight which why Cokin would be nice because it looks lighter but not as well made as Lee.

Thanks in advance,
Richard Adams

I have used Singh-Ray filters very extensively and have been very happy. They are durable, don't exhibit strange color shifts, and there are a multitude of options, including the "reverse" ND grad variety.

http://www.singh-ray.com
ht