PDA

View Full Version : G-Claron 150 - can't unscrew front element

Iga
27-Aug-2007, 10:36
Hi all !
Got nice 150mm G-Claron lens today and wanted to fit it at Seiko 0 shutter. Back element went out without problem, but I just can't unscrew the front one. Any ideas how to do it without exotic tools ?
Thanks in advance,
Igor.

Jorge Gasteazoro
27-Aug-2007, 11:19
Grab a tenis shoe, press the front end of the cell against the rubber sole and twist. It should come out easily.

Nick_3536
27-Aug-2007, 11:49
Are Seiko #0 the same lens thread? I didn't think they were. I'd happy to hear they are considering the number of old Seiko shutters I have.

Iga
27-Aug-2007, 12:17
Hi all !
Managed to unscrew it whithout brute force! In any case - thanks for the tip, Jorge.
As for Seiko 0 shutter - yes it has the same thread and Claron 150 fits perfectly. I have no data about other Seiko / Seikosha models, but I think they are the same as Copal.
Best regards,
Igor.

audioexcels
29-Aug-2007, 18:12
Hi all !
Got nice 150mm G-Claron lens today and wanted to fit it at Seiko 0 shutter. Back element went out without problem, but I just can't unscrew the front one. Any ideas how to do it without exotic tools ?
Thanks in advance,
Igor.

Have you played with the whole plater yet?

Igor is one of the nicest people on the planet and he has a very fine lens that me wants:):):)

Mick Fagan
30-Aug-2007, 01:24
I have a 150 G Claron as well, it's off my old process camera.

I was wondering whether a Seiko 0 shutter would fit.

Does it require shimming, or is it a straight fit?

I assume the shutter goes behind the front element, in front of where the aperture now sits, is this correct?

I will obviously start looking for a 0 shutter now:-)

Mick.

Ole Tjugen
30-Aug-2007, 01:42
If the shutter has the same threads as Compur/Copal/Prontor/Vebur/etc #0, it's a straight fit. The shutter replaces the barrel: Unscrew both cells from the barrel, and screw them into the shutter.

Emmanuel BIGLER
30-Aug-2007, 02:37
to do it without exotic tools ?
Now that the job is done ;) I have no excuse not to mention a not-so-exotic tool, the rubber strap wrench. Similar to a wrench used in garages to unscrew oil filters, but cleaner.
http://www.pndtools.com/images/01041803.jpg
I got mine from Micro Tools (seems no longer listed on their catalog) and I have used this tool successfuly to unscrew a jammed threaded ring on a Compur#5. One of the previous owners had attempted to do this with unappropriate pliers and the ring was definitely "ovalized", scratched and unusable.
You can find the kitchen version of this wrench designed to unscrew the lids of various glass jars ... including jam jars (no pun ;) )

Mick Fagan
30-Aug-2007, 03:12
Ole, many thanks for that, I'm now looking for a shutter for my 150 G Claron.

Mick.

Iga
30-Aug-2007, 11:33
I have a 150 G Claron as well, it's off my old process camera.

I was wondering whether a Seiko 0 shutter would fit.

Does it require shimming, or is it a straight fit?

I assume the shutter goes behind the front element, in front of where the aperture now sits, is this correct?

I will obviously start looking for a 0 shutter now:-)

Mick.

Hi !
As I told before both sells fit perfectly. I'm shure there is no need for shimming. Picture is pretty sharp at 5x7 gg, I will try to shut some negs nex week, both close up and at infinity. My Seiko 0 had old 6,8 / 150 Fujinon in it before, so no need for aperture marks recalibration - very nice bonus.
150 G Clarons go really cheap at eBay lately, I got mine in near mint condition for 44 Euro shipping from opposite part of the globe included. Longer versions are not so cheap.
Best wishes,
Igor.

Iga
30-Aug-2007, 11:42
Have you played with the whole plater yet?

Igor is one of the nicest people on the planet and he has a very fine lens that me wants:):):)

No, I did not try it yet. Both camera and bookform holder need restoration. I have a lot of job now, but I hope to start to work on it soon.
Best wishes,
Igor.