PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix Cameras

davidb
25-Aug-2007, 09:03
So, now that they seem to be available, how does one order a camera?

Also, can we get passed the past (about this camera) or do we still need
to discuss this outside of this forum?

Rob_5419
25-Aug-2007, 09:12
I don't know David.

As much as I applaud and wish to support Hugo bringing in more energy into the LF world, I wish Hugo and Kerry/LF inputers for Chamonix could sort out their differences in private, rather than on this forum, so that the users of the forum could enjoy both what LF Photography Forum, and Chamonix brings.

Good luck to Chamonix too! Although I think an apology to Kerry or whoever was mentioned wouldn't go amiss..

I guess I'm a bit simple-minded that way ;(

scott_6029
25-Aug-2007, 09:36
I am curious as to what they have 'in-stock' vs. made to order. Including ULF film holders.

David A. Goldfarb
25-Aug-2007, 10:14
Well, I'd like to know that they are reasonable people to do business with. There is still a cloud hanging in the air about that.

tim atherton
25-Aug-2007, 11:08
I seem to recall it more of a personalities/ego cloud as much as anything

Stephen Willard
25-Aug-2007, 11:25
What are Chamonix Cameras?

tim atherton
25-Aug-2007, 11:29
little sort of rectangular boxes for capturing appearances made out of wood and metal - usually with a bellows and a ground glass

steve simmons
25-Aug-2007, 12:00
View Camera reviewed one of the Chamonix cameras in our Jan/Feb issue. The are ULF cameras and holders from China. It looked like Kerry Thalmann was going to be the distributor but not so.

BTW, since you live in Ft. Collins do you know the Foto3 conference will be in Ft. Collins next June?

Right in your back yard.

steve simmons

Andrey Donchev
25-Aug-2007, 12:23
Chamonix Cameras seller on eBay (http://stores.ebay.com/viewcamera-china)

davidb
25-Aug-2007, 12:50
Well, that is a start.

sanking
25-Aug-2007, 13:09
I am curious as to what they have 'in-stock' vs. made to order. Including ULF film holders.

I am going to be in Beijing in early September and plan to visit the Chamonix plant or display center. I too have been very interested in the production capacity of Chamonix and have not seen a good answer. It certainly appears to be much less than that of Shen-Hao, but looks are sometimes deceptive.

Sandy King

Hugo Zhang
25-Aug-2007, 13:26
Sandy,

Their factory is in Zhejiang province, south of China. But they do have dealers in Beijing. Their production capacity is much smaller than that of Shen-Hao. Have a nice trip!

davidb
25-Aug-2007, 13:34
So are they building camera now? There is currently a 6 month wait for the 4x5?

Hugo Zhang
25-Aug-2007, 13:40
Yes, David.

davidb
25-Aug-2007, 14:04
So how does one go about getting on the waiting list?

Amund BLix Aaeng
25-Aug-2007, 15:07
So how does one go about getting on the waiting list?

Email Hugo...

Stephen Willard
25-Aug-2007, 16:23
View Camera reviewed one of the Chamonix cameras in our Jan/Feb issue. The are ULF cameras and holders from China. It looked like Kerry Thalmann was going to be the distributor but not so.

BTW, since you live in Ft. Collins do you know the Foto3 conference will be in Ft. Collins next June?

Right in your back yard.

steve simmons

When I get a chance I will have to pull that issue and read the review.

Thanks Steve for the heads up. I have never been to a conference or workshop in my life. So this will be very exciting opportunity for me.

Captain_joe6
25-Aug-2007, 17:22
Hugo, any comments on the quality of the film holders? I know the ULF film holder market is always hoping for more options, and at decent prices, but the standard 8x10 guys could always use some more choices as well, and the Chamonix holders look really nice. The ebay guy sells them with a fabric cover, is that standard? Any word on pricing?

scott_6029
25-Aug-2007, 17:53
Last I checked the 7x17 were basically the same price as AWB? Is this still the case?

Songyun
25-Aug-2007, 23:45
I am pretty sure that the walnut version 4X5 is completely sold out. It seems that they have too many product lines. 4X5 5X8 8X10 7X17 14X17 8X20 12X20 20X24....and the production capacity is small.

Jim Chinn
26-Aug-2007, 08:13
Unfortunately they are way over priced on film holders. On their ebay site they list 8x10 for $180 + $25 shipping (new fidelity 8x10 from MPEX is $144)

12x20 holder lists on the site for $510 + $95 shipping. IIRC S&S and AWB 12x20 was about $400.

8x20 lists for a whopping $480 + $85 shipping. Last price I saw for an S&S was $380.

Perhaps you get a discount if you order in bulk?:)

Colin Graham
26-Aug-2007, 08:22
Alan must have raised his prices because 8x & 12x20 holders are now $475 and $500 respectively. Still, I'm having a hard time getting my head around these numbers for introductory pricing.

Bulk discounts, now there's a great idea!

Hugo Zhang
26-Aug-2007, 14:27
Captain,

Michael Mutmansky is writing a review for VC magazine comparing various film holders. He has two Chamonix 7x17 holders for testing and I trust his article will be very objective and fair. I am eagerly waiting to read that article. Each Chamonix film holder from 5x7 to 20x24 comes with a fabric cover and its darkslide is made of carbon fiber, lighter, stronger, but much more expensive.

Scott and Jim,

Chamonix ULF holders are not cheap due to its low production. If currency stays the same, I can see possible lower prices if production goes up.

Chamonix 4x5 cameras are selling at reasonable price because they are producing a few dozens as a batch. I am thinking of some kind of group bargaining here with the factory if we can group our interests together for 5x7, 8x10, whole plates sizes and film holders.

davidb
26-Aug-2007, 14:41
Well, count me in for a 4x5.

Rob_5419
26-Aug-2007, 14:49
Hugo,

Curious about the whole-plate camera option, so add me in. One can never have too many whole plates although I'd rather have a more personalised service rather than a mass effect. Granted, you need to have a sense of numbers....so I'll go with that ;)

Nick_3536
26-Aug-2007, 14:52
I'm curious why 11x14 isn't mentioned at all? Maybe with a 7x11 reducing back option?

Captain_joe6
26-Aug-2007, 15:09
Last I checked the 7x17 were basically the same price as AWB? Is this still the case?

That might be the case, but the Chamonix 8x10 from the ebay guy is almost half the price of an AWB 8x10.

davidb
26-Aug-2007, 15:10
What is AWB ?

Rob_5419
26-Aug-2007, 15:20
What is AWB ?
http://www.filmholders.com/filmho1.html

http://www.filmholders.com/softcase.html

Hugo Zhang
26-Aug-2007, 16:02
David,

You are in for the 4x5.

Rob,

There are some interests from members here for the wholeplates. Wholeplate is a rather small world and if we can standardize it and make it very light weight and rigid and can pool an order for half a dozen, maybe I can ask for a discount from the factory. Just a thought. Of course, Chamonix is known for personalised service and is glad to build you anything.

Nick,

I can understand 11x14, but how many people want a 7x11 back?

Nick_3536
26-Aug-2007, 16:23
It's half an 11x14 sheet. For people wanting a thinner format it's a relatively simple addition to an 11x14 camera. A reducing back and some film holders.

Alex Wei
27-Aug-2007, 10:53
I am interested in the Whole Plate camera also. Hugo. Put me on the list.

Scott Davis
27-Aug-2007, 10:58
Hugo- if you are taking a headcount for whole plate film holders, I'd be interested in several, if the time frame and pricing brings them in at a reasonable level. I already have two cameras that take whole plate, so I'm not in the market for one at this time.

Jan Pedersen
27-Aug-2007, 11:06
Interested in the 5x8 with a 5x7 back (Or perhaps both) but it again depends on the price.

Alan Rabe
30-Aug-2007, 08:49
Hugo, I would also be interested in the 4X5 version. I don't need it by Christmas so normal six month wait is fine.

Scott Sharp
4-Sep-2007, 22:27
Hello Hugo,
I'm also interested in the Maple 4 x 5 version. An impressive looking camera in a small package. A six month wait is no problem. It would be great to get the camera in hand before summer of 2008. I've emailed you to confirm being put on the waiting list.

Scott

Jim Noel
5-Sep-2007, 12:38
I inquired about 7x17 holders and learned the price is quite high even before the exorbitant shipping prices were added. I bought S&S holders direct from Sandy and love them.

Nick_3536
5-Sep-2007, 12:44
I know the shipping prices on the Ebay auctions seem high but let me mention this.

A few months back I got a replacement 5x7 back for my Shen Hao. The new one has Graflok fittings. The factory instead of selling me a new one wanted me to send the old one back to be upgraded. All for free. Problem is it was cheaper to buy a whole back then to pay the FedEx price to ship the back to China. The cost to ship the back wasn't a great deal less then the Chamonix Ebay site is charging to ship whole ULF cameras.

So the shipping is high but I don't think the problem is with the factory.

But don't forget to include what your bank dings you for the money transfer.

David A. Goldfarb
23-Sep-2007, 18:00
Doubts about the business aspects aside, I saw Alex Wei's 4x5" Chamonix today in the flesh, and can confirm that it is indeed a very nicely made camera, very light weight, rigid, and compact with many clever design elements (perhaps not original to Chamonix, but still quite modern and innovative).

buze
23-Sep-2007, 23:56
Thanks David.

Question is, is it chrismas already ? ;-)

(I'm on the list ... :D)

RooX
24-Sep-2007, 10:16
I'm currently doing the long wait til christmas as well.

Currently down for a Walnut (pending finding out what type of walnut). I also asked about film holders, and sounds like a batch is being made come early next year.

I'm counting the days :)

RooX
8-Oct-2007, 18:57
question for any and all chamonix 4x5 owners.

how is the GG? Worth upgrading to a satin snow or something of the sort? As well, does the stock one have cut corners?

Amund BLix Aaeng
9-Oct-2007, 05:42
question for any and all chamonix 4x5 owners.

how is the GG? Worth upgrading to a satin snow or something of the sort? As well, does the stock one have cut corners?

The Chamonix comes with a groundglass with fresnel, and for the lenses I use a SS would be a downgrade, the GG/Fresnel is really bright. Yes, the corners are cut.