PDA

View Full Version : printing large images for gallery show

Silvio Maraini
24-Aug-2007, 12:52
Hi
I will have a gallery show with approximately 15 large b&w images of approx 32x40’’ from my 8x10’’ negs . Since I wanted to print them in the traditional way on barytha paper. So I have built a special ‘Machine’ in the Jobo-Style, where one would roll the paper in a big tube, and roll the tube by hand. The use of chemistry is minimal, the need for one image is only 1 liter, and the development is perfectly continous. Just wanted to know if somebody of you did something similar.
The images of this gallery show are about an abandoned factory in Zurich, left alone for over 15 years. This industrial piece of unused land turned into the internationally known “Hall of Fame” for Graffiti sprayers, but also attracted drug users and was sometimes home to gangs.
I attach an image of the tube and two of the images from the gallery show (I hope the portrait is not too scary...)

Silvio

www.maraini.com

domenico Foschi
24-Aug-2007, 13:33
Great, Silvio,
with one liter of solution only I would be dubious if it would cover the entire surface, but I believe what you say.
The work plane must be perfectly level I must guess, to ensure the solution covers the entire surface.

bob carnie
24-Aug-2007, 14:00
hi Silvio

I print murals all the time, I use a very large trough with 30 litres of dev and roll them by hand touching only the edges, and replenish as I print. Your method looks quite nice and I wish you well with the show.
How are your washing and toning the prints??

Silvio Maraini
24-Aug-2007, 14:16
Hi Bob
I must admit that washing is the main problem. I leave the print in the tub, put it in a bathtub, fill it up with water and turn it around. It works well, although the print may not be as well washed as in a print washer. I tone all my prints with selenium or carbon toner. It works just like the developing, of course you can't watch the print during toning.
Domenico, you are right, the tube must be perfectly horizontal.

Silvio

paulr
24-Aug-2007, 14:32
my friend andreas did just this ... a big tube floating in the bathtub. he made prints that were 60 or 70 inches long this way. and did it when he shared an apartment in the east village in NYC with three other people, who would be pounding on the door desperate to pee while andreas prepared for shows.

tim atherton
24-Aug-2007, 14:36
my friend andreas did just this ... a big tube floating in the bathtub. he made prints that were 60 or 70 inches long this way. and did it when he shared an apartment in the east village in NYC with three other people, who would be pounding on the door desperate to pee while andreas prepared for shows.

(andreas) gursky...? :D

paulr
24-Aug-2007, 15:55
haha. gursky and his three starving housemates.

Bill_1856
24-Aug-2007, 17:42
Have them scanned and professionally inkjetted. They'll be even better than what you can do with mural paper.

John Kasaian
24-Aug-2007, 20:57
Silvio,

This is really cool! Thanks for sharing!